Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Cast Free

3-22-16

It’s off!!!!!!

We arrived early, homework supplies and snacks in hand. Luckily the entire ordeal took less than an hour. The doctor was there which meant minimal wait times, which was good since I know we were all anxious!

Dax was faint earlier this time, getting a little woozy even before the cast came off. I wasn’t too surprised. Sure, he was super jazzed about getting that damn cast off, but the pins came with an unknown which was daunting. Sure, he had heard it didn’t hurt. This was information not only from people who had gone through it but his doctor as well. It doesn’t mean it wasn’t something to worry about.


Cast removal was simple enough. I felt like the nurse handling that this time was a little less careful than I would have liked, and clearly clueless. She wanted Dax to lift his fingers while she was cutting near his hand. The problem was that he can’t quite lift them completely yet. She should have either known this, or asked. Instead, she sounded almost annoyed when he didn’t comply. We pointed out he couldn’t and you could see she felt bad.

He was already looking queasy and once the cast was removed, we laid him down. Dr. Zinar came in and was trying to keep things light. He is a good doctor. Sadly, Dax was already in pre-panic mode. He stayed calmish during the first pin, but you could tell it wasn’t what he expected at all. There was no numbing, but then again, the removal took like 2 minutes total. One of the pins did hurt a bit, like a hard pinch since the bone had really grown around it. In fact, Dax’s body was pushing the pins out on its own, which is kind of cool. When you looked at the pins in his arm, you could see the skin had kind of formed this skin volcano around each of them. So when they were all out, they looked almost like pierced ears that look a little infected. Luckily, they were not infected, just looked that way.

I spent those two minutes looking into Dax’s eyes and stroking his cheeks, trying to talk him down from full panic. He screamed out once, and I will admit it was hard to not cry with him. But I knew we were almost done so I held it together for his sake.

Once we were done, he had to stay lying down for a bit. Dr. Zinar told Dax he was more than welcome to punch him, which I thought was cute. He then said for him to punch the helper guy. Helper guy then pointed out to Dax that he was a Barcelona fan and Dr. Zinar was a Manchester guy, so truly he was the one to hit. Dax smiled and laughed at all of this, his previous fears now gone.

He held his arm gingerly for a bit. It was strange for him with really no restrictions other than what his muscles and tendons dictated. However, within an hour you could see him bending his arm much more. He said none of it hurt, which is fantastic. It did feel weird, which would most likely be the understatement of the night.

What was annoying was how much it still itched. I was hopeful for a little reprieve what with it now being exposed to air and hopefully not as irritated. But the dead skin was still there along with just the knowing he could scratch. I suggested he take a shower before dinner. In reality I should have waited until after dinner since he really should have eaten before-hand. Getting ready for the shower made him faint again. Those skin volcanos were doing him in. He had to sit during the shower at one point, too. It occurred to me after that he hadn’t eaten in several hours and had just dealt with trauma. Food would have possibly countered some of the sick feeling. Then again, perhaps it would have been worse being that there would have actually been something to vomit.

We made it a mostly mellow evening, letting him play on his computer and not really asking too much of either of them. There were some light chores (Bobby had more because he once again forgot to bring home his homework and book so I told him he had to do a bit more) and an earlier bed time. I wanted to make sure Ken had time to read to them. Sadly, Dax was so exhausted he even pitched a fit about brushing his teeth. He then threw himself a tiny pity party, whining that he couldn’t put toothpaste on his brush. Never you mind I watched him do far more complex things only seconds before. Thankfully all of this sass was most likely helpful in allowing him to crash out hard.

I honestly am having a hard time watching him bend his arm even though I know he is fully healed. I think I have just been on such high alert now for these long 6 weeks so it will be some mental rehab for me. His arm does certainly look thinner. I am used to his body being pretty muscular or even pudgy like he was as a toddler. To see his arm looking a bit gaunt is truly strange. My first thought goes to time before he can throw in the ball the way he used to. I wonder if he will notice quick recovery in terms of bending his wrist. All in all, I know that it is just going to take a small amount of time and I just need to let him do this at his own pace, which I know will increase significantly once he realizes that he won’t hurt. I am just going to stay out of the way of this process, trying not to wince in front of him.

In some ways it is really good he doesn’t have a real game for a couple weeks. It means he can take some time to stretch his arm out. He can play at practice, which will help him a great deal. Plus, if he goes on Saturday to Hull with Ken he might even be able to participate in the games a bit, which will be nice and non-competitive, but more than just a practice. I will go to practice tonight if only just to watch his jubilation of not having to worry about a cast anymore. I will most likely be nervous, but I will make due.


It has been a long 6 weeks and I am quite glad they are over. I know there are some hills and valleys ahead of us, but at least the worst is over. Phew!  

No comments: