Thursday, March 3, 2016

I'd do a face-palm, but maybe that will give me a concussion

3-3-16

I am bothered greatly.

Ok, it isn’t as bad as the idea of Trump being elected. Sure, there are way worse issues the world is facing right now, and ultimately, it isn’t going to really even affect that many folks out there. But it does matter to me and specifically my child.

Is that enough of a build up? Ha! US Soccer had semi recently come out in favor of not only disallowing heading the ball in games, but they will not train or encourage the practice until a kid is in U14. Heading the ball is a large component in soccer. Professionals do this move a fair amount and it is what many kids in the sport find thrilling, especially when you have a boy like Dax who not only practices proper technique, but has actually scored a goal because of his skills. Youth soccer isn’t skilled enough to keep the ball more to the ground, which is where you will have the most control when you have possession.

The ruling has now made it into AYSO. It means that our fall season will be the first time in which a team will be issued an indirect kick if the opposing team heads the ball. I understand that the reason behind this change is the rampant conversation concerning concussions (say that three times fast) in all sports. The studies indicate that although heading doesn’t always cause a concussion, it can exacerbate an existing injury.   

In my years in soccer, which is plentiful, I have not seen one kid get a concussion from heading a ball. I haven’t seen someone show symptoms of concussion after continually heading the ball. I have seen multiple rolled ankles. I have seen kids run into unpadded goal posts. I have seen kids almost get kicked in the face because they didn’t head the ball but instead kicked their foot up higher to get the ball (which is what I expect will happen more and more with this new ruling). I have seen a broken arm due to a bicycle kick (yeah, Dax, that will most likely haunt me forever). But heading the ball has NEVER been an issue.

I know, I only played for like 10 years. I have been involved with the boys for the past 5. Maybe I just haven’t been privy to an incident like this. And maybe kids are getting hurt from heading wrong. But this solution is right up there with the idea of abstinence or prohibition; removing the situation doesn’t fix the problem. It would make more sense to make a point of training kids at an earlier age. And to be perfectly honest, I am fine with not doing this until the kids get to the age in which the games are considered competitive. That would be the U10 age group. This is the age in which they keep score. They can go on to championship matches. They can advance all the way to State tournaments. Why in the world would you remove a fundamental skill set from these kids, many of whom have aspirations of playing this sport well into their high school days and if not farther. By eliminating proper training and just issuing a lockdown on the practice, you are robbing these children of truly learning the game.

Are we going to take out tackling in football? Well, and let’s get rid of pitching the ball to kids in baseball lest a ball smack a kid in the head. Oh, and might as well remove all playground equipment from the playground. That is clearly a death trap for all those involved.

Look, I know perhaps I am making a big deal out of something minor, but I am finding the watering down of kid activities is getting completely out of hand. I was already an opponent to the reduction of players on the field for soccer matches. The standard player count is 11 on the field. I played this from my very first game. We all learned proper positions. We knew to have zones for everything from placement to defense. We learned THE GAME. Now, it has been broken down into only a certain amount of players per game depending on the age group. There isn’t even a goalie until kids have been in the program for close to 3 years if they started at U5. It is absurd to continue to assume kids can’t handle the real deal.

It isn’t a secret that more and more people are concerned with the way our society keeps coddling our kids. Dax got a participation award for being in the Jog-A-Thon. He didn’t run. He didn’t walk. He sat, and occasionally cheered. He was miserable. Sure, it’s sweet that they would reward him for being out there, but he didn’t participate! And yet the school also has this poor kid sitting on a bench in front of the office at recess. He isn’t supposed to run around due to his arm, but he isn’t able to even be around the other kids on the benches out there? How is that healthy for him? He can’t socialize by himself. And there are monitors out on the playground that could easily keep an eye on kids on the bench. Truly, this is all incredibly backwards.

I truly have no voice in any of this, which I suppose is a lot of where my frustration is centered from. I feel like as an organization we have a responsibility to train these kids correctly, and that may in fact mean more extensive training for coaches. It also means parents need to just understand risks involved with sports in general. I can assure you, children are pretty resilient and they are more likely to be injured doing a number of things before you get to “heading a soccer ball”. At this rate, how long before they have to be in bubble wrap before they go on the field?


No comments: