Wednesday, November 10, 2010

grandma virginia

11-10-10




My grandmother may die soon.





My dad’s mom has been out of it for some time. She is 93. She was born the same year the US declared war on Germany, in WWI. She was born the same year Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was born. Same year that Desi Arnaz and Ella Fitzgerald, and even JFK were born. She was also born the same day Carl Karcher was born.



I can safely say that she did not influence any band or make any fantastic hamburgers. And from what I know of her, I think it would have made sense if someone had shot her in the head in an open convertible.



Virginia was not nurturing to me in any way shape or form. She was only Grandma to me when I had to write a thank you note. Otherwise she was referred to as the Wicked Witch of the West or simply, Virg.



Two vivid memories of her stand out. One in which she reduced a young boy to tears over accidently tracking gum into her house. The other where she referred to me as

“the girl, what’s her name again?” to me when she thought I was my mother.



My mom had the stereotypical Mother-In-Law from hell. Always compared to my dad’s first wife or chastised for being a working mother that had a job instead of staying home to raise us kids. It was an old fashioned outlook for a woman, but thankfully for my mom, Virg lived across country so her comments could be contained on a phone that my dad had to listen to.



Even though my dad was never close to her, I have a feeling that when he does get the call that she has passed he will be upset. I hate seeing my dad sad. There is something scary about it to me. This is a man who laughs off most things and has a pretty good sense of humor. So when you see him cry, there is something eerie about it.



As of yesterday, she had a temperature of 103, and she was mostly non responsive. Plus, she isn’t eating or drinking. My dad showed me the email from my aunt who is in charge of her at this point. I helped him with an email back, asking questions about the game plan. My dad still maintains that this woman will never die. She does have a devilish quality about her.



I will be curious to see what happens. She has been at death’s door before. Hell, she has tea with Death every few weeks, but she always manages to escape his boney clutches. I don’t think she will for much longer.



In funnier news, I really suck at certain things. One would be home decorating. Ok, I am not bad at picking out colors and wall hangings, but I really should only point out what I like and have someone else place it for me.



I was in a massive cleaning frenzy again yesterday. I had made tremendous progress when I thought that I could hang the boys’ school pictures. There was one nail already available, but I needed to find one for the other picture. As I looked for a nail, I came across the sticker hooks Ken had gotten for me for the hallway. It is supposed to be able to hold like 50 pounds and leave no marks on the wall. I was all pleased and hung up the portrait. I then got the wild hair up my ass to put up some things in the hallway.



In all fairness, it looked awesome. I hung a mirror, a picture, a clock and three tiny mirrors. I was all kinds of proud.







I took some pictures and continued on my way. I was in the living room when I heard the crash.



Crap.



The clock had come crashing down onto the 3 mini mirrors and they all ended on the floor, in more pieces then were put on the wall originally. The mini mirrors didn’t break badly and were way fixable, but I was quite discouraged. It occurred to me that I think I am the reason it went poorly. I think I put a sticker on backwards. Sigh.



On the plus side, I noticed this morning that after I went out last night, Ken took the time to fix all my mirrors. It means I can maybe try again tonight, but this time, with some supervision.



Last night I went with Brandy to a potential forever home for Max, one of her fosters. The couple was lovely and truly will make for great kitty parents. Even Max seemed to think so as he was super friendly with his new mommy. Max should get to go home this weekend after they do some pet proofing. Yay!




I didn’t watch Glee last night, so I have something to look forward to this evening. Plus, it means I can watch it at a decent time and still get some sleep in.



I am resisting the coffee this morning. I don’t want to become dependent. I was considering a cup if only to help the wake up process. Instead I am going for gobs of ice water.



My radio remote needs a new battery. How lazy am I when I sit maybe six inches from the radio yet I use a remote for volume?



I am hoping to earn some cash this morning. Maryann needs some help on her corporation paperwork. Woo hoo! I have no idea how much cash this means, but I am happy for anything. I figure I have Christmas coming up and I need to get crackin on presents.



I have decided my project this afternoon is the playroom. I know, I keep saying that, but I am feeling inspired. I am going to sort out items they use and things they don’t. Maybe a box at a time, but I can do it!



Ok, I need to get to work.

No comments: