Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My fantastic weekend

8-18-09

Happy birthday my baby boy!! I guess you are not a baby anymore. You are 3!! When did this happen???

What a weekend!!

Friday night, we headed out to see Up with Stephanie and Sabrina. The movie was so great. The little short before may also be my new favorite Pixar short. I cried like a baby through a lot of the film. So freaking good. Sabrina was a little spooked. Not sure if it was sadness (it was a very dark and sad movie) or just scared. Probably didn’t help I was crying. Dax was crazy. He had fun, and enjoyed himself. I guess Bobby was fine, but he was on the other side of Sabrina, so I didn’t interact with him during the movie.

Saturday was kitten day! The brood of 7 were washed up and then we got to play with them. The boys loved them. We had them in one of the kiddie pools (they graduated to a better play facility later) and we did out kitten social hours maybe 3 or 4 times in the day. It was great. By the end of yesterday, they were actually running up to us, calling out to us, eating kibble and just being so freaking cute it hurts. We named them after the 7 dwarves, less one who was Hogarth because Andy said the one reminded him of Hogarth and they were planning on adoption of this one. Turns out, the one I dubbed Happy (my favorite) is actually Hogarth, so who knows. Not sure who they are adopting, or if maybe they will take 2! LOL!

If I could, I would keep one (Happy is my choice) for Bobby. She would be ideal, too. Super needy, and sweet, and would fit well in our mix. Ken doesn’t seem swayed at all, so I am not really pushing the issue.

Our luck continues, though. Friday night, we managed to trap Mom Cat and she nursed the babies through Saturday. We had to separate them since she is uber feral and it would be hard to get kittens each time. We have a home for Mom so I think this week we will get her spayed and then drop her off at her new farm. Also, the pet shop Ken found the mom home said they would be more than willing to display the kittens in their shop for adoption. YAY! Then, if they can’t adopt them out in a week or so, we will take them to the shelter where they adopt out quickly. We will keep tabs on them, and will take them home if they run out of time. It will be an intensive couple weeks, but I think it will be good and I just know they will all have homes before we know it.

Sunday night, I went to see Depeche Mode with Conner. The concert was great. They sounded awesome, and I loved hearing all the old songs they played. I only didn’t know one song, and it was I think one of their new ones. When they played Somebody, I actually cried.

As for my evening surrounding the concert, it was an adventure. Poor Bobby lost it when I left, so I had him wear my heart necklace so he knew he had my heart no matter where I was. Ken said he was quite happy with it after he calmed down. So this was good.

I met Conner at his place and we headed out for dinner with his girlfriend, Nadja. She is just lovely. Super sweet, very pretty. I liked her a lot, which is a odd for me when it comes to Conner’s girlfriends. The only problem? I swear, the three of us often seemed at a loss for things to talk about. I tried, and we managed ok. But things got odd when we were talking about my Colorado trip and I tried to mention briefly about Dax’s broken leg. I knew Conner would not care, nor would he want to talk extensively about it. But she seemed genuinely interested in how it happened and more about Dax. It was hard. I should have just not worried what Conner thought, but I was his guest and I felt I didn’t want to insult him. It was tough. Especially after he said the reason they never see Aaron anymore is because they went off and had a kid. I was a little bitter, and I did snip once, but I kept myself in check. Let’s face it, despite knowing that Conner will always be in my life, he isn’t someone I see that often, so the once a year we get together, I can be nice.

Nadja didn’t go to the show with us. Teaa and Scott did, other people I had not met before. Super nice, but we were not in the best setting for talking. The three of them were not even really looking forward to the show. They are not concert folk, I guess, but luckily they did have a good time. They sat a good deal of the show. I didn’t let them get me down, and I enjoyed the whole show. Lots of fun.

The biggest thing I noticed was that I really, really, missed Ken. He would have laughed at things that I cracked up at. Conner, for instance, was not as amused at the freak show in Hollywood. Sure, we both were amused at the Red Cross bloodmobile just outside the vampire convention, but who wouldn’t laugh at that? But I just felt like he wasn’t the true person I should be seeing things with.

What was really funny, and I suppose expected, was that out of all those people, we still bumped into Brandy and Erin! LOL! We were up at the top, them at the bottom, but we saw each other when heading to our respective seats. What are the odds?

I loved watching the freaks so much, I suggested to Ken that Hollywood was the place to go for our adventure on Monday. We had the day off together, and we headed out right after dropping off the boys (Bobby kept it together pretty well considering he hates it when I leave). We had breakfast at this little diner, which apparently was one in which scenes from Million Dollar Baby was filmed. We then walked a lot of the Holly Walk of Fame, seeing all the different stars for folks. I had not done that before. I have seen some, but not a few blocks worth. We were going to see District 9 at the Grauman’s, but ended up going to Madame Tussau’s Wax museum instead. We had so much fun!! The day was awesome, truly awesome.

We got home, where I got online and happened to chat with my old boss from Earthlink for a while. We had just been talking about him, and then he just set up a Facebook account! I learned some info on where people were, and I filled him in on the people I knew. It was kind of somber, especially when talking about one woman we were friends with who had passed a couple years ago, and another couple we knew in which their son died from cancer. In fact, I was directed to her caring bridge site, and I have it ready to read today (I have tissue) and I sent her a note. She even emailed me back! So that was bitter sweet.

The evening was spent with kitten play and some pool time, and I have to say, this was one of the best weekends I have had in forever. It was just fantastic!

I am now super sore. I walked a lot. But I am happy to report, despite all the hiking, my new toe things worked out great, even with all that walking! I was, however, so sore that I couldn’t sleep much, even with the mega pain killer. Tonight I will take more.

After work, we are going to my parent’s house to do cake and presents for Dax. Should be fun and chaotic!

Crap. Big meeting at 9 am. I will keep us informed.

It was just the announcement that layoffs are happening. If I am walking out the door on the 28th with only my purse, it means I am still employed. Apparently it will all be over and done (for this round) by next Friday. Nothing is happening this week, so next week is my sick week. I am freaking out. Of course, for all I know, it is still just one from our dept, and hopefully not me. But it doesn’t mean they have not changed their mind. It was also just announced no more furlough. This is a mixed blessing. It is better to not lose money from not working, but I kind of enjoyed the random days off.

I just finished the blog my old friend, Mo, wrote about her son. Man, that was tough. Their son had cancer for 4 of the 6 years he was alive. It was tough to read, but I feel like from one mom to another, I need to read her journey. I would want someone to read mine. I was pleased to hear that they are doing well (and have another blog which I will check out at lunch) and have a little girl that was born a little over a year after their son died. It is tough to read any of those sort of things without crying.

On the way home yesterday, we stopped by the cemetery and visited Ken’s sister’s grave site. She was still born, and has she survived, Ken would never have been conceived. In fact, her death is the reason that Ken wasn’t named until he got home from the hospital. It was sad to me to see this grave where my sister-in-law was laid to rest. I didn’t know her, and really, only my MIL did. Yet I could feel a connection. I clearly cry to much as it is, and I get too wrapped up in other people’s sadness. I am still sad about Dani’s daughter having not made it to full term. I am sad about Stephanie’s son, who I didn’t even know yet I have happy thoughts for him because knowing his mommy and sister, he would have been awesome. I just can’t imagine losing my child and even reading articles about other people losing theirs, it just kills me. It really does. So I am giving a somber hug to all of my mommies out there.

Clearly, when news of layoffs hit, my fantastic weekend fades away and I become morose.

My day has been stressful so far, but the good news is that Ken changed the appt time for Dax’s appt, so it means it is in 2 weeks in the afternoon so I don’t have to freak about coming in late to work. It also means (if I am still employed) that maybe after the evil shots, we can go by some place he would enjoy for dinner. Poor kid is getting shots and an x-ray in the same week!

No comments: