Monday, November 10, 2014

Motivation overload

11-10-14

I have been at this company 14 years today.

It was a long and satisfying weekend. I started early by bailing on work on Friday and I went home to sleep some more. I then was able to drive the boys to school on my way to Target. I wish I had picked up more of the cereal they had there from Halloween since it was so cheap. I had picked up a box of Count Chocula because it was fifty cents, unsure if the boys would like it. Sure enough, they did, but when we went back yesterday they had sold out of the last of the boxes. Oh well.

I then spent the day in cleaning mode. I took care of clutter and got a lot of things done. It was great! I always feel so refreshed after I clean up. I can crank the music and I can see the results of my labor pretty quickly.

Stephanie and Sabrina came over not long before Ken and the boys got home from work and school respectively. The kids played while Stephanie and I hit up a local dispensary. They didn’t stay super late, but it was awesome being able to visit, especially since we had plans on hanging out on Sunday morning but they ended up having Nutcracker rehearsals.

Since the boys were playing on the computer, Ken and I settled in to watch some tv. He scrolled through Netflix and jokingly suggested Red Dawn. I happily accepted. I had never seen it and I was content with my Taco Bell and was about to take a couple hits to just chill. Ken seemed surprised at my willingness to watch the movie, but didn’t try to talk me out of it.

So, um, yeah, I had always been under the impression that Red Dawn was more like a campy fun film where this rag tag bunch of kids save the day when some idiot Russians came to take over a small town. I was expecting something like a Hogan’s Heroes with wacky bad guys and cheesy puns. I have NO IDEA where I got this impression of the flick. I know I had thought this for a while. I even felt outrage on behalf of all fans of the flick when the new version was made with Thor and Peeta thinking that it seemed wrong to put a serious spin on the storyline.

My realization that this was not an 80’s rom-com came quickly and with a giant kick in the gut as these guys dropped from the sky near the school and then proceeded to gun down a teacher in cold blood.

Mind you, the movie was amazing! I found myself cheering every time they got a bad guy and I was happily shouting out, “Wolverines!” every chance I got. That flick holds up! I was so impressed and in some ways I almost want to see the remake just to see what they added. All in all, I was blown away!

Saturday was all about the soccer. We went down to set up the field normal times. I was all proud that I painted a whole field and got the flags up before other people showed up. With it being the first game of the day, we were dealing with the humidity coming off the grass, but it was ok.

The game was once again great to watch. We tied, but it was a good match. Dax at one point was in goal but had to run to the other side to take a corner kick for us. After he kicked it, he was booking it back to goal. On the way to the goal, he actually ran down the ball and stopped it in the middle of the field in order to slow down the game. I am telling you, it was amazing to watch. I think this next week I am going to try and film the game.

After the game, we hung out at the field because, well, we always do, and also because I had a game assignment! Yep, that’s right, I refereed a game! Ok, I was only the AR (assistant) but it still was a big deal. Luckily it was a girls’ game. They are so much sweeter and let’s face it, slower to a degree. I think I did ok in terms of performance, but the best part was the girls. I knew one of them, but overall, both teams knew me from having seen me around. They were all super happy to see me and were chipper and sweet and lovely. It was a little tough trying to not just watch and cheer good plays, but I managed. I enjoyed myself, despite being a little sore from the running. Ha!

After the game we headed over to Dylan and Taylor’s birthday party. It was over at Anderson Park. It actually worked out ok in terms of us showing up a little late since the boys felt awkward that they didn’t know anyone outside of Dylan and Taylor. We got there in time for things like the piñata and cake, which is what all kids love. Dax managed to scalp the minion piñata, which was really fun. Both boys had the face painter put the Firefoxes logo on their arm. It was a fun afternoon.
Sunday had Ken at soccer fields all morning, which left the boys and I to do our thing. We tried to hunt down some Count Chocula to no avail, but did manage to clean up some clutter around the house. I also cleaned out the guest room, getting it prepped for the bed to be set up. I also knew we needed to do some hardcore cleaning due to an inspection coming tomorrow for a house assessment for refinancing.

Once Ken got home, we jetted over to Ikea in order to get a mattress and bookshelf. Bobby helped me make the bed and decorate a bit in the guest room while Dax helped Ken build the bookshelf. We may need to go get a couple more of the shelves since it was cheap and awesome looking. I need at least one more for now, but most likely we need 2 or 3 more total. I will line the walls downstairs since we have so many books.

Ken is taking down the pool today and painting the rest of the house, which is awesome! That is super happy making for me. I know it is kind of a small thing, but it means a lot to me. It also means I can work on the yard and side of the house.

Have I mentioned how much I love my house? I actually like cleaning it because I feel like I am grooming this critter that I adore, making sure it is all happy. It is silly, I know, but I am gonna say, it makes for a happy life when you enjoy where you live.

No school for the boys today or tomorrow.

On Dec. 10, I am going to the Los Angeles County Cemetery. That morning they will be doing their annual burial of the unclaimed bodies. I have wanted to go to this for a couple of years but have always missed it and only found out when it was after the fact. So now that I was proactive, I had already put in my calendar, but now that I have the actual date and time, I am pleased. It is most likely that I will be going by myself, but I am happy to just be there.


Today has a dentist appointment for Bobby and I this afternoon. I am only bummed because I want more time to get everything looking nice at home. I realize I have time tomorrow, but still. I feel all motivated. 

No comments: