Wednesday, June 16, 2010

day off

6-16-10

I need more sleep.

Yesterday I did get a little extra since I slept in a bit. Unfortunately, on a work day it is hard to sleep in. Alarms, cats, little boys, all things that make it almost impossible to get extra shut eye.

We all went to Dax’s meeting at 8:30. The teacher for the Pre-K program was extremely nice. I had Dax sit down at the table and let Bobby wander the classroom since there was only one other teacher there and really, it was pretty mellow. The teacher talked to Dax a little bit, but mostly she spoke to Ken and me.

Turns out we are not “in” yet. She explained that they whittled it down to 44 kids for 30 slots. They wanted to meet with the students and their parents in order to explain the process, and then today they will be drawing names out of a hat. Crossing fingers!

The program is federally funded. Because of this, there are quite a few requirements. There is parental participation. Something like once a month we need to have one of us in the classroom. There also is parenting classes which is once a week for something like 6 weeks. It is only an hour, so it isn’t like it is much. Ken will probably be able to do this with no issues. I am hoping to take at least one day to do it.

The class is not as long as we had been originally made to believe. It is only 2 hours a day, 4 days a week. The schedule best for us will probably end up being the 8 am to 10 am block since then both boys can be taken to school together, and then Ken would get Dax when he was done. There is talk of possibly still using Maria, but even if we end up needing to do this, it will be part time, which saves us $50 a week. Still a good thing all around.

Dax of course impressed the hell out of the teacher. Dax was polite and sat calmly at the table, even though he really wanted to go explore like Bobby had been able to do. The teacher said she was impressed that he was just sitting there. She asked him some questions like his middle name and colors, all of which Dax knew no problem. Hee hee! Then Dax asked if he could go look around, so I let him go, and she loved that he asked me first. She said she wished all kids could be like Dax in her class. YAY! She also liked that Ken and I both showed up. She liked the whole family aspect.

My hopes is that even though they draw names out of a hat that they don’t truly do it at random. Like maybe our application can get ear marked as one that was “drawn”. Worst case scenario is that he doesn’t get in, which truly isn’t horrid. I just think he would benefit from extra schooling and it will make his transition to kindergarten that much easier. I am bummed I didn’t know about this last year for Bobby.

The original plan for yesterday was to go to the meeting, drop Dax off at daycare, and Ken and Bobby would end up going to class. This would have left me to clean house all day, and maybe rest some. This did not occur.

Ken pointed out that we were nearing the blackout period for Disneyland, so we should go as much as possible since all of July and most of August we would not be able to. So we surprised the boys by driving out there. The only problem with this plan was that we got there at 10. This seemed to be the time when everyone in Los Angeles was arriving. Plus, it was way too hot.

We got in and did Star Tours and Buzz, but really, it was crazy packed and so hot so we opted to head out. We did get over to the Tiki Room since the boys had not done that yet. They must have enjoyed it since the rest of the day they were singing the song.

Since we were hungry and out in Anaheim, I suggested Sonic since we had yet to go. I had been jonzing to try this place for some time. We didn’t really know where it was, so we cruised around where we thought it might be, and then searched for open WiFi networks to look it up. Finally, we pulled into a McDonald’s parking lot and used their connection to look it up.

I kind of hoped it was gross. I wanted it to be totally not worth it since it is far enough away that I can’t see us driving that far to get a burger. Of course, it is also very near Disneyland, so it could just be a Disneyland treat, but still. Turns out the food was quite tasty and we all enjoyed it quite a bit. The kids meal had the option of a banana for side dish, which Dax was thrilled with.

We went back home and I put the boys in quiet time. Dax managed to fall asleep, as did I. Bobby not so much, but he still stayed in his room for the hour. I could have slept the rest of the afternoon, but we were heading to my parents’ house and I really wanted to take Matt’s birthday presents since we had forgotten to call him Monday night.

We stayed late since Matt didn’t get home till 5:20 and we normally leave around 5. The boys were pretty quiet on the way home so instead of having Ken run to the store when we got home to get milk, I decided the three of us could just as easily stop by the store and get milk.

I was wrong.

Ken sent me a few texts of other things to get, even going so far as to have me do a medium load of shopping. The boys came alive in the store and were a little wild. This sucked since I was in pain.

Oh, yes, because I am not ever allowed to be 100% healthy, my right heel hurts now. I had walked on Monday night with Luna and after that I was dying. Such a shame, too, since the walk itself made me feel great and Luna was awesome! She really did a good job. Turns out when she doesn’t have distractions in the form of Lycos and children, she walks great on a leash. By the end of the walk, she even sat at the curb without being reminded. She is actually very smart (I am sure Ken is scoffing at this right now), just so full of puppy energy she acts out.

So I am hobbling a bit in the store, snipping at the boys every now and again, eventually even putting Dax in the cart since he can’t help himself from running down the aisles and almost slamming into people. We did manage to get a good haul, though and headed home with me frazzled.

The rest of the evening was thankfully uneventful. I set up some goals for the boys and managed to take out some trash and clean up some parts of the house. Then thankfully the boys fell asleep pretty quickly so I was able to go to bed listening to Radar cope with becoming a second lieutenant.

I don’t know that I will be able to walk tonight due to the Bobby being home when I get there. I may just do some Wii Yoga instead, which will be good. I am also thinking that maybe some pool time will be good since that always wears me out. I do a lot of swimming around in circles since the boys like the whirlpool effect, so that might be good. I may need to put Luna’s socks on so she can come in, too.

I have such a craving for Taco Bell. Stupid commercials.

What an incredibly busy morning! I have actually enjoyed how productive I have been. I feel slightly rejuvenated. I have a meeting this afternoon, which will just mean my afternoon will fly by. Woo hoo! I just wish my heel would stop hurting.

No comments: