Thursday, June 10, 2010

No Ohio today-just ranting

6-10-10

I have decided. I do not like any special groups. All of them go to extremes that don’t advance their cause. If anything, they make me want to be the very thing they are fighting to prevent.

The NAACP just had this press conference about a Hallmark greeting card. The card, which has been on shelves for 3 years, has two of their popular characters telling the graduate that not only will they take over the world, but the whole universe. It mentions planets and black holes and is a space themed card all around. So why is the NAACP bothered by this?

They thought the characters on the audio recording in the card say “black whores” not “black hole”.

Oh my fucking god.

I am mad because they are that stupid. I am mad because even when they are told they misheard it that they still insisted it really says whores. I am mad because Hallmark didn’t just tell them to kick themselves in the ass.

What the fuck is going on with us as a country? There are people protesting in favor of people that are illegally here, yet they are voting against gay people here legally. We are closing down pot dispensaries when in reality our state sure could use the extra cash if we just taxed the hell out of this particular pain killer. People are actually getting worked up because the president didn’t seem “mad enough” about the gulf crisis, despite the fact that the president actually used the term “ass to kick”. Are we seriously spinning our wheels on this shit??

I understand that we all have different opinions on what is right and what is wrong. I appreciate that there are groups that stand up for the little guy with no voice. But in our passion, we are forgetting the rule of picking your battle. You can’t go in, guns blazing on every little tiny thing. It doesn’t mean you are thorough. It means that you are nit picking, and then the big picture is lost in the smoke of anger you kick up on whether or not someone did everything perfect.

I could go on, but I get too frustrated with it to the point where this would consume me. I am already mad at myself that I have wasted any time thinking about what the NAACP said about this stupid card. It means they win because I considered it. Look, I am not racist. I have plenty of black friends, Hispanic friends, Asian friends, etc etc. Hell, I don’t even think I really consider the fact that they are all from different backgrounds aside from the fact that I appreciate their different experiences. My question is, does their protest about these cards make ANYONE think about not being racist anymore?

Ok, enough soap boxing for now.

I am annoyed this morning. My face has decided to start peeling. NO!! It is true. I am pretty sure I didn’t lotion my face enough after the burn. I took great care in lotion application on my arms and chest. I even have kept up on my legs, but my face, although I did lotion it, I probably needed to do it more often. Crap.

Bobby has been bribed with a jungle adventure. Let me explain. Last night I told him that if he got dressed by himself this morning he would earn back his tigers (Carson, Carter and Torrance were all confiscated in a tantrum induced punishment). As a way to encourage him, I set out clothing for him, including his new camouflage hat that we got him at the zoo. It is a big wide rimmed hate that looks adorable on him. Any hoo, I told him that he could get everything together for the jungle. He liked this idea, so we put together his camera, also so that he was all prepped for jungle time. I have my fingers crossed that he will do it!

I suppose I need to cover my last day in the land of Ohio. I may get to that later. I have another meeting today. I went home yesterday late. Not horribly so, and I am glad, since I get to have the OT. Woo hoo! This may end up being a bi-weekly thing since these meetings are correcting a process that has been broken for years. Nothing like multiple departments fighting over procedures and ownership of a problem. Sigh.

It is sometimes easy to forget that Bobby is 5. I picked him up from Ken’s class on Tuesday and we were heading to my parent’s house when he asked me where I learned to drive. I explained to him that Poppy taught me. I amended this with the fact that really, folks like Greg were the ones who taught me. So I told him that my friends helped me, too. He was intrigued at who my friends were, so I started listing folks, which made him happy. Then he says, “Daddy has a girlfriend.”

It is hard not to instantly think, wait a minute. Bobby has been spending an awful lot of time around Ken the last couple weeks. Was some broad at my house whoring it up with my husband? Bobby continued.

“I don’t know if she is his friend, though, since she lives in a different house.”

Hold on a second, huh? I asked him who the friend was. He didn’t know her name and when I asked if she worked with Daddy, he said he thought so. He was of no help to me. My insecure mind is racing. Who in the fuck was this kid referring to?

He then asked me who Daddy’s other friends were. I listed some of his friends, and Bobby seemed happy with the information. I took this as “girlfriend” didn’t mean the same to a 5 year old as “girlfriend” meant to a 35 year old. I really need to remember that my kids are kids.

I wish I had colored my hair last weekend. I didn’t want gray hairs on my birthday.

YAY! I just talked to Ken and Bobby. Bobby did good and went ahead and got dressed. I am so proud of him. I am also proud of me. Ken and I agree that the success is in part due to my putting clothes out at the foot of his bed. He sees them when he crawls down the ladder, so it reminds him. So the plan now is that every night, we will pick out his wardrobe the night before (which is a good plan, anyways so that when school comes around he doesn’t dink with picking clothing) and we will lay it out at the foot of the bed each night. It doesn’t get in his way (his bed is huge) and it sets him up for success. YAY! I have to figure out a good place to set out Dax’s clothing. I am thinking of laying it out in flat kid form on his floor since that may work.

My next task is also to get Bobby to not need the night time underwear. Not sure the best approach to this. Sure, limiting liquid at night, which we already kind of do, but I think that even though it will be messy, I think that we need to have him go to bed sans night times and let him see that he doesn’t want to wet himself. It will have to be a Friday night start time since I know I will end up having to wash sheets. I figure I will work with Dax at the same time since I might as well get him trained. Do stickers work for incentive? Should I wake him in the middle of the night? I know boys are way harder to do this stuff with. I will have to give this some thought. Obviously a lot of things are going to start changing in the routine what with school coming, so this summer may be the best way to start work on everything.

No comments: