Monday, December 20, 2010

5 more days till Christmas!

12-20-10




I need to wake up. I am sleepy. I went to bed later than planned. Oh well.



We have a leak in the roof. I am not shocked since the front is all kinds of tore up. We need to redo all of it.



Friday night date night was awesome. We tossed the kids out of the car as we raced off from my folks to the movie. Our seats were great, and the movie was actually pretty damn good. I was shocked, since I wasn’t impressed with the first one.



Ken loved it. This isn’t shocking, but his reaction to a scene in the end was.



Tears. That’s right. My man cried in Tron.



Ok, before you laugh at the geek crying in one of the biggest sci fi flicks in years, it wasn’t the special effects or epic storyline that got to him. It was the simple phrase, “goodbye, Kiddo” that had him all choked up.



Ken’s term of endearment towards the boys has always been kiddo. He used to call Smack that, too. It is a phrase he reserves for a select few. Through the flick, Flynn called his son kiddo. It was sweet. Especially since Jeff Bridges was simply the Dude in a light up jump suit. Ken also thought is was nice, but didn’t think much of it until the end scenes. Spoiler alert: Flynn Dies. Not shocking, I know. But Flynn says to Sam a few moments before he goes, “Goodbye, kiddo.”



Ken was reduced to tears.



I didn’t know this until the credits. I let the movie soak in as the names rolled by on the screen. Ken was silent, so I had just assumed he also was taking it all in. We were in the fancy pants 3D glasses, and it was still dimmed lighting, so I didn’t notice the moisture on his cheeks.



I broke the silence and asked what he thought, mostly assuming him excited and thrilled at it. As he removed his glasses, and I saw his tear streaked face, I wanted to laugh. I thought that he was just so impressed with the imagery of it all, that it had reduced him to tears. Instead, he explained what had done him in.



It was sweet to have him so upset at the idea of having to utter that phrase to his own boys some day. It was if this was one of those days in which fatherhood kicked him right in the crotch. He said it had just struck a chord. I told him to be thankful that he isn’t like me where al I am made up of are very sensitive chords. He was not even able to laugh too much yet.



He thankfully came back from the brink as we headed out to Universal. It was bumper to bumper traffic all the way up. I suppose the rain didn’t help. But we got there ok, and even managed good seats to see Hollywood Babble On.



The service at the comedy club wasn’t great since our food order took an hour, and my corn dog was still cold in the middle. But I didn’t care, especially once Kevin and Ralph took the stage.



It was awesome to watch. Even though the podcast is great, you miss out on glances and hand motions and all the visuals that don’t always come through on audio.



They also read my email. I had written them that morning, asking for a shout out for Ken. I know my audience, so my email mentioned that it was a Christmas present, and that my man would be rewarded in the form of oral pleasure. I can assure you, they were amused as they read the email, and even had us wave. On the way out, Ken got numerous pats on the back and thumbs up. I made him the man.



I didn’t sleep much that night. We got home and in bed by about midnight. I didn’t get my M*A*S*H because our tv in the bedroom decided to die. No biggie, since I had rain to listen to. However, it would not be enough to drown out our smoke alarm that had a failing battery at 2 am. Nor did it stop the cats from knocking shit down. It was a long night.



Ken left at around 6:30, and I headed out right after to go to my folks. I was there by 7, and the boys were thrilled to see me. They told me right away that they had oatmeal for breakfast, but that it was not like mine and therefore not good. Awesome!



We made cookies, and I created the best Christmas cookie I have ever done. The head wound on the snowman included brain matter, and the tiny gun on the mad man was pretty decent. The boys loved it. I think I worried my family.



Grammie didn’t make it, but Doug did. We had El Indo for lunch, and I made the boys double decker sandwiches. They were starving, and tired. They slept, but I am guessing not as well as they would of at home. Also, being cooped up in the house due to rain was wearing on them. Presents helped, especially the ones from Doug since they could be instantly enjoyed.



They got giant inflatable balls that they will be able to get inside. The rain kept us from playing with those. They were able to use their stilts. I was impressed at how easily Bobby got around on them. Dax is normally the one who picks up that sort of skill quickly, but he struggled a bit with them.



They got Mickey Mouse and Star Wars from Doug, which allowed them to play with something small (and thankfully quiet). But even with those, the house seemed insanely loud. My mom finally turned off the radio, and it was nice still for a while.



We headed out around 2:30. I had considered going to the mall to get a couple of presents, but instead could see when it was time to throw in the towel on keeping the boys cooped up like that. We went home, and they took a bath so that they could play with Mickey since he was a bath toy, complete with a boat.



I suppose I could have cleaned house. Instead, I dinked around and scratched my poor neglected and wet dogs. They were happy mommy was home.



The boys and I ate dinner and I put them to bed. Since Ken was not home from the tournament yet, I was able to settle in and watch a movie from Netflix that I have had since September. A Single Man. Super good and sweet. Colin Firth is amazing in everything.



Sunday was a whirlwind of shopping. We took care of pretty much the rest of the presents. We have a couple more, but they should be easy enough to accomplish this evening. We still have some stocking stuffers we need to obtain from the cheap corner, which includes Dollar Tree, 99 cent store and Big Lots.



The boys were restless and cranky all day. I am sure this lack of real routine and no outside time is starting to get to them. Today, I am pretty sure they are home all day with Ken. He mentioned taking Dax to Maria’s, but I don’t know what is really the plan. Ken has laundry to do so that I can finish packing. The boys bag is ready, but I have a couple more items for my bag. Ken has to do his whole bag, but his is shockingly easy. LOL!



Ken and I watched Love Actually last night as he wrapped presents. It was a nice Christmas style evening. This is why I went to bed so late, but it was worth it.



This morning, I am at a lull in my work duties. Big time responsibility doesn’t seem to kick in for another 40 minutes. Although, I think I should get to work on a few items while I have some time. I just have to make it through today and tomorrow. I am considering leaving even earlier than noon on Wednesday. Maybe 10? Don’t know. We shall see. It all depends on how things go the next 2 days.



Ok, off I go.

No comments: