Wednesday, February 11, 2009

No power makes Gena a cranky girl

2-11-09

Do you ever have those weeks right before a scheduled vacation in which the week is telling you that it is a really good thing you are taking time off? This is one of those weeks for me.

We gave the kids a bath significantly later than normal, around 7. We got them out a little after and were in the process of dressing them. I was with Dax, and had just gotten on his diaper when the lights flickered. Next thing you know, we are in the dark. Power went out on our whole block, and for a few blocks over. It came back on, of course not after Dax about crapped a brick, but not with full power. It was at about a quarter of what it should be, which meant most things did not have enough juice. Lights were low, heaters wouldn’t work, it was bad. Luckily I had a fresh pack of glow sticks. I gave Dax three and he was so pleased, story time was very quiet. Heck, he almost fell asleep while I read, which never happens! Both boys went to sleep pretty easily, which shocked me, but was super convenient.

Ken went around the neighborhood and urged folks to call DWP so we were a higher priority to get fixed. Apparently they fix based on complaints. Ken wandered up to Torrance and Normandie and watched cars as they flew through the intersection, not paying attention to the fact that the lights were all out. He said that in the short time he was there, he watched almost 4 accidents. The cops showed up, and Ken and another neighbor urged them to put out flares pointing out that this intersection is notorious for accidents when the lights worked. They balked at their suggestion until they were present for yet another near miss.

Ken got back and fired up our little generator. It was so freaking loud, and I was worried neighbors would get upset. It didn’t matter since it ended up not doing us any good. So we were left with no tv, no internet, and a dark house. It is understandable why whenever there are these kind of power outages that 9 months later there is a baby boom.

Ken had spoken to the DWP and they said that it wouldn’t be up again until the wee hours of the morning. Thank goodness we had flashlights, batteries and cell phones. Flashlights since at one point, I seem to recall Ken waking me up telling me the power was 100% out again, and we needed some kind of lights in Dax’s room before he woke up. Ken ended up turning on a bunch of flashlights on in there to act as nightlights. I was so freaking tired, so I don’t know that this really happened. My phone was good since it acted as my alarm clock. Yes, the power had come on by then, but it was good to know that if it had not come on I was going to be able to get up in the morning.

I seem to recall when the power came on, but once again, I was in my weird sleep walking mode. Not that I walk, but I have been told I have conversations in my sleep, so that is kind of fun. I seem to recall touching Ken’s arm to get him to see that the light had come on. Clearly I was asleepish since don’t you think he would notice that without my help?

My reports were finally done yesterday, which is great. I have things I can work on today, but man, it is going to be a struggle. I am distracted.

I need to go to Dollar Tree tonight. Daycare’s V-Day part is tomorrow. Luckily, I already bought the valentines for it weeks ago, but I wanted to get some candy to go with them. I have considered making cupcakes, but they may already be doing that, so no need to go to the effort. The good news is there are only 5 kids (I am not counting mine) so I don’t have to get much. I just like the idea of them all getting something. I made sure Dax and Bobby each gave their own Valentines to each kid, and every one of them is different. There are three sets of sibs there, so I would imagine the boys will really only get three valentines (one from the twins, one from the other set of sibs, and one from the lone kid). I wanted to be better than that.

I also need to do some laundry and pack. I think I may do that tomorrow night. It isn’t much that needs to be done, so it won’t take long. We need to go to Target tonight, also, for things like Graham Crackers for the trip, I need a People magazine, and I may take a glance at the PJ’s and slippers since it is going to be freezing up there. We might even get snow! I also need to make sure the kids have their warm jammies clean. Plus, if I think about it today, I can remember if there was anything else needed for the trip.

I did a great workout yesterday. I am on this mission to get the best score ever on this one dance thing. I do really well, and have the top 6 spots. Granted, my only real competition was my dad, and with him out of commission, it is just me against me. Still, that is worse than competing with other people! My best score so far has been 620, and I could only get to 616 twice last night. I did it I think a total of 5 times? I also did the advanced boxing, which kicked my ass. The normal level is pretty simplistic. The advanced is not just a longer set, it is more complex moves, which threw me off. I kept falling and missing my steps. Not a huge deal since it was my first time trying it. I still worked up a sweat! I don’t get to do it for more than a week since I will be gone Friday and Tuesday, so that kind of sucks. I guess I need to beat some folks up in between then and dance!

If my bangs don’t start behaving, I may need to do something drastic.

I had a mini breakdown last night. I was frustrated with my household. I feel like I had been giving and giving and giving with nothing but grief coming back my way. The boys were cranky with me despite my best efforts to provide them with everything they asked for. I tried to help Ken with the issues concerning a lost box of paperwork (that was feared stolen in the car breakin) and his stress ended up coming out in a snip at me. I was frazzled last night, close to tears. At one point, I walked into my kitchen with the intent of getting something to drink, and I honestly forgot where we kept our cups. That is pretty bad. I calmed down after a mini vent fest, but I still felt off most of the night, which may have been just a result of my stressful day, dealing with things like the car stuff and the upcoming trip. I don’t know what caused it, but this morning, I am happy to report, I feel significantly better.

Yes, I am frantically searching for some wood.

My Wikipedia selection for today had been children’s programming. This was inspired by a CNN article talking about Sesame Street. Holy crap, that show has been on the air for 40 years this year. My goodness! I love the Street. Ok, no, I loved the Street. Big difference. Most of the recent shows seem less in the spirit of what I grew up with. I don’t like Elmo’s World, and no, not just because the little red thing irks me. Actually, I just don’t like that there is almost half the show dedicated to mostly one Muppet. The beauty of the show was that it covered lots of different Muppets and people. I may need to start recording Play With Me Sesame as it is a half hour Sesame Street spin off with lots of Grover (YAY!) and I think Bert, Ernie and Prairie Dawn. It is a lot of interactive stuff and the few times we watched it, the boys liked it, as did I, so I would like that to be a good show. Of course, the boys really are hooked on Gabba more than anything, especially Dax who still insists on every day watching Halloween Gabba. He loves the costumes (he was Woody again yesterday for daycare) and all the spiders and ghosts. He has always been fanatical about animals, so I don’t know if he likes Halloween or animals more. I may need to get him some animal costumes.

Speaking of costumes, I need to go get the one for Bobby. Perhaps we will go get it tonight in our outings. I also need to go to Party City with Bobby specifically since he needs to pick out invitations for his party. Not that it is going to be a huge shin dig, but I like the idea of him sending out invites. I just hope it doesn’t rain that weekend!

YAY! So my dad is actually talking about getting another tattoo. So funny! I need to call them to check pricing and I may talk to the artist (he will use the same one who did his spider) to see if he has any ideas for bear cubs. Although recently, my idea has shifted to a cool Hello Kitty head (or even her whole body) instead of bear cubs. I figure so far, I have seen no good bear cubs, but the boys really like Mommy Cat, as do I. It would work as a representation for the kids in a round about way. Then again, I may need to do both. Sorry, Ken!

I have to pee!! I am waiting on the next break of Kevin and Bean. Not that listening to people call for singles tickets are all that interesting, but I just can’t bring myself to miss the show.

So in our bathroom at work, there are two toilet paper dispensers. Pretty standard, right? Also, there is often a roll open either on the back of the toilet or balanced on the handicap bar. Lots of potty paper. Recently, someone put a sticker that said, “Please only use one roll at a time”. What the hell? Are people taking a piece from all three rolls to wipe their ass? So I removed the sticker, offended that the sticker was so stupid. It was replaced the next day. I then made it my mission to make sure all of the rolls of paper were always even, so that no one knew which one was the one being used more. Yes, I get worked up over stupid things. Then, someone put over that sticker something to effect of making sure to use the rolls on the dispenser before the spare. I would like to report, after having removed all stickers 2 days ago, they have not replaced them.

Yay Salma Hayek. Apparently she was visiting sick kids in Africa, and she whipped out her boob to feed this one starving baby. Awesome!

My bangs not only are not behaving, but they seem to have gone grey at the roots again. Sheesh! Maybe I need dark red bangs.

Seriously, have I done any work today? I think so, but like I said, I am distracted. Not by anything in particular, just in general.

I am happy it is cold if only because I get to wear my happy making sweatshirt. It is this big dark grey hoodie with a giant skull on the front. I don’t know why I love it so. It is comfy for one thing. But for some reason is makes me happy. I guess don’t knock it if it makes me warm all over, right?

I just discovered that an old classmate of mine has a cult like following! Amy Winfrey, a girl I played soccer with at Costa, apparently created this set of cartoons which air on NickToons (which I was dismayed to find was not on our tv) and online. I watched a few yesterday afternoon and was super amused by them. I will admit, I didn’t know her well. I mean, we sometimes were workout buddies on the team, and I have a picture of us together, but I can’t say we were BFF’s. But I was super proud to hear about her success. She even worked on the first half dozen South Parks as an animator. How cool is that! It is always fun when you find out someone you knew went on to greatness. Unless of course they were a tool, but I only know one of those kind of people.

I am loving this scent Tammy got me. Love Spell by Victoria’s Secret. I can’t get enough of it! I have two others she got me, and I have yet to wear them since I like this one so much. I may need to go get more before it goes out of season.

Maybe I need to set a goal for myself with a good reward. If I lose 10 pounds, I can go get pierced. If I lose 20 pounds, I can get new shoes. If I lose 50 pounds, I get my tattoo. I just hope those are inspiration enough to do it.

I need to make some calls, but I tend to wait until after the show and after Ken calls me. That way I can not feel like I am missing out on something. So I guess I have another 40 minutes before I can really work. Don’t get me wrong. I am doing things in between my random thoughts, but it isn’t tons of work today.

Ok, I read all of my Wikipedia articles already, and Ken has not called me. I may go and call him since I need to get a few calls in today. Ok, not really, but I should. All the people tell me is that they have no money.

I just made one call. Sure enough, no money right now. Can we say depressing?

Wow, Jenni must be swamped today, I haven’t heard from her at all!

No comments: