Monday, February 23, 2009

What a weekend!

2-23-09

What a weekend!

Let’s start at the beginning. Friday evening was a pretty basic evening. Went and worked out, which was great. I needed it. The whole day was filled with frustration left and right. I was ready to scream! Luckily, not only did I get to punch a fake punching bag, I also had a movie waiting for me.

Stephanie had gotten me a Netflix gift certificate for Christmas (Thanks, Stephanie!!!) and I had finally set it up. I got my first two movies in my mailbox on Friday. Not to sound too commercial, but it was awesome and easy and I am quite pleased with the service. Our selection for Friday night was Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay. We had been huge fans of the first Harold and Kumar, but had not been able to see the second. And come on, Neil Patrick Harris was back!! I really enjoyed the movie. It wasn’t as good as the first (it was a tough act to follow) but anything with Doggie frying on shrooms, talking to a cop while seeing himself on a mystical unicorn get two enthusiastic thumbs up on my end.

Saturday had been slated as a day with Grammie. It is he birthday this week, so we went out to visit and go to lunch. It was nice. Bobby wore his Darth Vader costume, which he was pleased with. Dax didn’t eat, which was par for the course with him these days. But both boys were entertaining. We didn’t stay too long as Ken had a birthday party scheduled for 4 that afternoon. In addition to that, I had a house to clean!

I had gotten an email that morning from my brother Doug saying that he and Elizabeth were free Sunday afternoon. I was quite jazzed, especially since it was time I had free as well. My house was still suffering from the trip clutter, so I wanted to get it somewhat presentable for my house guests. So I cleaned. And cleaned, and cleaned! I got the place looking pretty good, and by the time Ken got home that night, I was proud to report that I had cleaned about 90% of what I needed done, gotten two kids fed, bathed and sleeping, and was even sitting down with my feet up, and it was only 8! YAY ME!

Sunday morning, bowling, despite how sore I was from the cleaning. We also ran by Target to pick up a few things we needed. Ok, and some things we totally didn’t. I picked up a shirt for myself (dark red with tiger stripes) and Ken got me a cool vest (both are currently on and I am loving it!). We also stopped by the grocery store and then got home to finish what needed to be done.

One of those great things about having company is it forces you to do certain cleaning you procrastinate on. Our back yard has been a work in progress. Since we cleaned out the garage, we still had been slowly removing the debris from that. We didn’t have too much left, but it did require a call to bulk pickup. Luckily, even before I knew about Sunday’s guests, I knew that this Saturday I was BBQing for Bobby’s birthday, meaning a couple of people would be over in our backyard. So I wanted it to be clear of piles of crap. So I had Ken call, and it scheduled them to be here today. We originally planned on working on it anyway, but it certainly lights a fire under your butt when you have a schedule. Ken cut up all the wood, swept and made the driveway look all clear and amazing! Our backyard, although lacking in good patio furniture, now could host an event. Of course, it was cold out, so really, we spent very little time outside last night, but at least when they went outside to see, it was not looking all white trash.

They got to the house around 3, and I was a little nervous. I mean, it had been some time since I last saw him. What do you talk about? However, apparently children are like coffee table books. They will break the ice for anyone! They had brought over some fun toys for the boys, including an inflatable t-ball set, which Bobby thought was the greatest thing ever. He proceeded to knock the ball around a few hundred times, while shouting at everyone right before each time to watch his hit. As much as I felt Bobby was a spaz at times, it would good that he was able to be so animated and personable. Dax was shy at first, but came out of his shell after a little bit.

Ken grilled burgers and dogs and I brought out some old photos I had of Doug and our dad and his mom that he hadn’t seen. It was cool. We swapped stories about Virg and Ray, and I think that what was really fun was a few things concerning our father. It was the little gems that showed us both that our dad was the way he is not just with one of us. He is that way with everyone. LOL! I also was relieved that my impression was that he wasn’t say angry at dad. And, he said that it wasn’t like he was never going to talk to him again. It meant that there would be a time in which they would talk again, and that made me very happy. Our dad is one of my favorite people in the world, and I am truly hoping to get to know my brother better and all of these developments just make me warm and fuzzy all over.

They left around 7:30 and the boys were out by 8, which left some more garbage take out for bulk pickup. Ken let me just sit and watch some of the Oscars while he did the work. I did load the rest of the few dishes (My man not only cooked for us, he cleaned the dishes and made sure no one’s cup was empty ever.) that were left, but really, the work had already been done. So I got under my new blanket (Ken found this deep red, super uber soft blanket in the clearance section of Target and got it for me) and watched maybe a third of the Oscars before I had to throw in the towel at 10 since I was beat.

My mind must have been racing from the weekend’s events. I couldn’t get comfortable or really to sleep last night. I know I was out fast, but I woke up several times in the middle of the night. This morning, I am out of it, and quite glad I don’t have to do some of the reports today. I think I would mess up a few hundred times. LOL!

I am relieved that I think that today is a basic day for me. Tomorrow is a big day, what with Bobby turning 4. 4!!!! What the heck??? Anyhoo, we are going to my folks, taking the kid to Denny’s for his birthday dinner, getting cupcakes at my folks, doing the birthday boxes and perhaps even some other events. At Toys R Us, when a kid comes in around his birthday, if he tells them, then they give him a balloon, and a hat and the whole store sings to him. So we wanted to do that. Plus, he has a coupon for Build A Bear for like $5, so we are going to let him get something small there. I want him to have fun for his birthday. He loves birthdays, even if they aren’t his. He got one party already, but I figure he should be able to have a couple of fun days when he is young. When you get older, you don’t get to have as many birthday things. Ok, I don’t really have big birthday things for me, but I do want my kids to have some fun ones. So it will be fun for him to have a lot of fun. I think today, though, I don’t have anything slated for part of this celebration. As much as I love the rain, I am kind of hoping the rain waits until tonight instead of this afternoon. The boys wanted to play outside some more, and it would be good to let them do this.

Seriously, falling asleep.

No comments: