Friday, April 17, 2009

3 day weekend

4-17-09

The Gabba visit was good overall. We got there at about 4:45, and it might have been advisable to have gotten there about 20 minutes earlier, but it worked out ok. There were was quite a few people there already. We got into line and began the wait. These were clearly my people. It was awesome. But I was mostly concerned with Dax falling onto Melrose since he kept grabbing my hand and pulling towards the street. Not that he would get hit where we were, but my over protectiveness kicks into high gear with that much traffic.

We didn’t get into the store until about 6:30. They were letting in about 6 families at a time. When one family left, more could go in. Each family would spend some time with DJ Lance, who was also spinning at the time with actual vinyl, who was kind enough to sign autographs and take pics with everyone. Toodee was there, too, and she would get in the pics with you. It was very cool.

Dax and Bobby were jazzed. They were jumping up and down, super excited. Dax was rocking his DJ Lance hat and glasses, and had several people taking his picture because of this. We got up to Lance, and he says to Dax, “Oh, look at you!” He seemed genuine in how pleased he was that this kid was dressed like him. Of course, Dax decided at this very moment he had enough. He screamed, and within seconds, I was rocking my 40 pound toddler who felt somehow wronged by this entire adventure. Bobby, luckily was still enamored with the 6 foot tall black man donned in orange. He conversed with the DJ and gave him a high five. Lance was so nice! He wrote them each a little autograph card. Bobby’s said to Bobby, stay awesome. Dax’s said, Don’t be scared! Let’s be friends!” Very cute.

Dax came around a bit, and even gave DJ Lance a high five, which rocked. It seems to be the ice breaker for Dax, and it makes me wonder if it is some kind of frat boy already emerging out of him.

We got a group shot with Lance and Toodee, and when this was done, I started to shuffle Dax out. I wasn’t trying to rush Bobby and Ken out, but Dax was heavy, and it was hot, and if we got out, then they could visit with Lance or Toodee. Instead, they followed, which resulted in Bobby in hysterics because he had wanted to give Toodee a hug. I now was the worst mother in the whole world. I subject Dax to the orange guy and took Bobby away from the blue cat dragon. Go ahead and cart me off to San Quentin.

I have to say, DJ Lance was way less gay in person. We wondered if he flames it up for the show since really, kids seem to respond to uber animated folks on shows compared to someone boring. It was surreal actually being in front of him, and I just was impressed with his dedication to the kids. He apologized to me for Dax’s crying, which I thought was sweet, despite it not being his fault.

I spoke with one of the employees and I mentioned how I didn’t know what to expect when we got there. He tells me that they didn’t expect this many people. It sounds like they thought maybe 50 people. Yeah, there was way more than that. A couple hundred? I don’t know, I am not good at that kind of calculating, but it seemed like a lot.

We got home around 8:30. Not too bad, really, when I expected much later. I had to snip at Bobby, though. I read to him, we laughed, I left with the instructions from him to “Go get Daddy”. Ok, no problem. Ken was reading to Dax, so when he was done, he would go read to Bobby. Bobby comes out, asking about his camera. No problem. I fix the issue, and tell him to go get back into bed. He starts whining in the hall. At this point, I started hissing at him to get to bed and the proceeded to run at him as he sprinted into his room. I tucked him quickly, but he so knew he had annoyed me. Ken went in maybe 5 minutes later, and he must have been upset, but mostly tired since Ken actually read him to sleep in only a few minutes. So I think Bobby will be ok with me today.

I am tired. That is an understatement. I should have gone to bed when Ken came out from Bobby’s room. Instead, I dinked on Facebook and Super Poke Pets for too long. My head hit pillow around 10:10. 4:10 came much too quickly.

I think that Spring Fest may be a tonight adventure. That way tomorrow they will sleep in a bit, and that in turn means I sleep in. Plus, it means our Saturday can be more productive. I had thought my parents were getting home early tomorrow, but Matt thinks it is late Saturday night. He is going with us tonight. I think that when I pick up the boys, maybe we can all go at that point, that way it is still kind of early. Then we can get home before it is dark.

If I can make it through today, I will be thrilled. I am nervous since there was some more layoffs. Granted, I think those were all part of the furlough announcement, therefore making the whole thing safe for us for at least a little bit. Although, it is a Friday, on a payday. I think this is layoff weather. They can have your final check in your paycheck. If I can make it today without the pink slip, I have a three day weekend to look forward to. I need to get my house in order so that I can get back into maintenance instead of projects. Monday is that day, but I also need to do a couple of errands, so hopefully it won’t take long. Plus, if I work on it throughout the weekend, it should be ok.

It looks so pretty out. I may need to go pick up some sun block today since I know I will be out in that sunshine at some point this weekend.

Nothing more disturbing than thinking you are playing The Beatles when Matisyahoo or whatever his fucking name is comes blaring out your stereo. I guess I didn’t change it to iPod.

It is always funny when you get those epiphanies in music listening. Such as the realization that the Beatles were REALLY FUCKING HIGH when they wrote some of this stuff. Not bad, mind you. Just fun.

2 comments:

Potluck said...

Sounds very cool! They were expecting 50 people? How humble, I guess. Very cool. I doubt the next event will be that 'low key.'

OK. The word verification below is absolutely illegible. I just had to get that out. 'Dirtuper' or 'dituper' or 'alirtuper'? Or do I need a new prescription. Or rather, should I put my glasses on?

Potluck said...

It was 'alituper.'

Now this one is way easy ... hydrawa. Go figure.