Thursday, April 16, 2009

last post at work

4-16-09

A small community has gone missing. You won’t see this on the news, but I can tell you, at least 10 people have gone missing. Little People. No, not midgets. Dax’s Little People. His little toys, which had all been in this bag, are mostly all gone. In the recent cleaning of their rooms, I had put them all in a bag for Dax so he could carry them around with him. When I got home yesterday, I found the bag in Bobby’s room. There were a couple of the people, but the vast majority were nowhere to be found. We searched Bobby’s room, Dax’s room, hampers, the bathtub, everywhere. No people. Part of our problem is we are looking for the whole gang to be hanging out together. But in fact, there could be people scattered. It is like looking for victims in some kind of horrible mass murder. Where did he bury the bodies? I will keep looking, as we have recovered about 5. Wish us luck.

In other news, I have determined, yet once again, it is not advisable to go to the grocery store with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. My mistake really wasn’t as bad as I have had in the past. Truly, the boys were charming and sweet, and mostly listened to instructions. We had to use the car cart, which had the boys jumping through the door openings like they were the Duke boys. They loved looking at the lobsters, as they do each time now, asking 100 questions about why they are in there, why people eat them and why do they have rubber bands on their hands. We got everything we needed, which really was just milk, bread and a couple of small things. Here is where it gets chaotic.

It was fairly busy, which is a little unusual on a Wednesday night. We got in line, unloaded the groceries and proceeded to slide my card, which immediately said, “um, yeah, not so much”. Side note, they should look into more humorous ways to inform you that your card is declined. Might make you feel better. Any hoo, apparently when Ken had transferred money, it didn’t take. So this meant, I had two boys running by the movie display, groceries rung up, an angry dude behind me since he was now behind someone taking too long, and when I went to call Ken, it went to voicemail. Lovely. Luckily, I got a hold of him on the second try, only to find out the online transfer was having issues, which meant that he had to call the bank. So this meant we had to cancel the order, I had to pull my cart to the side, and wait. During this time, Dax almost slugged this little girl who yanked a movie out of his hands. I had to intervene, and rather than deal with the whole having to get yelled at and yelling at the kid’s mom, I opted to remove the movie from Dax’s hands (they were in a full tug of war at this point) and appease my son instead of fight. Finally (mind you, I say finally like I was there for 3 hours or something, but in reality, it was maybe 10 minutes), bank was fixed, and I could pay for my groceries. It was crazy. You want to stay calm, but sometimes you have to yell at the kids, or get your stuff out of the way, and don’t forget the slight embarrassment. Such a pain. Next time I go, I am taking cash, since I really think that would at least take that issue out of the equation.

The wind has not helped Ken’s efforts to build the big shed. It doesn’t look at breezy today, so he should stand a better chance of getting it done. Of course, I am taking him away from his work pretty much when I get home. When we pick up the kids, we are going to see DJ Lance and Toodee who are making some special appearance at the Kid Robot store in I think it is Hollywood. This is a true adventure, since we are going to uncharted territory, with two kids in tow, seeing a tv personality in person, after bed time. It should be fine, and interesting. I have not taken the kids to something like this. I assume there will be gobs of people. I worry we are not going early enough. I worry they won’t get in, but I think that we can make it fun no matter what.

It is a slow day. Yesterday, we only got 2 checks in, so this does not bode well for our heroes.

I am freezing again. I have the heater on, but really, I am cold on the inside. Stupid ice water. Perhaps this morning is a hot chocolate morning.

The boys did not want to go to sleep last night. Dax may have been remembering the last time he lied down in that bed and went to sleep, he woke up throwing up. So that could be part of his screams asking us to keep reading to him. Bobby was just in a mood. He came out 5 times. One of the times, Ken told him no more milk (we are cutting him off at night because if he keeps drinking all this fluid before bedtime, he will never stay dry over night), but he could get his little cup and get some water. He pitched a fit since it wasn’t a sippy cup that he could take to his room. We are not letting him do that anymore (Dax is next). He burst into tears. I finally had to lead him to the room, and explain to him what our goals were in better words. I explained that he needed to stay dry, and that if he can, we will go to the Toys R Us, and he can get a new toy. He liked this. We discussed prizes for being good, and I have now promised two odd ones. When I read to him, I often will just declare I am tired and pretend to sleep next to him. He has always found this amusing, and told me that I could get my pillow and sleep in his bed. So now, every night he asks if I am sleeping in his room. So I told him that if he makes it all week with his magnets, that is a prize he can choose. The other prize is a “slumber party” where he can sleep in our bed all night. If they inspire him to be good, I am game. If they inspire him to stay dry over night, I will sleep in his room every night. So we will see.

I need new bras. Just a random thought.

We made rice krispie treats last night. Not nearly as entertaining in terms of kid friendly for making, but we managed to make it fun. I had them put in all the marshmallows. Bobby snagged one and took a bite, which although was bad form, but very funny. Dax wasn’t having any as he decided it was yucky. Bobby, however, who has been so much better about trying stuff, gladly had one. He determined the cereal itself was good, the marshmallow was good, so together they would be divine. I was surprised at how good they were. It has been a while since I had one (not counting the ones at the melting pot, and really, all of those were just chocolate holders), and wow, they are addicting. I am not a huge marshmallows fan, but I love rice krispies. We used the generic krispies, which were quite yummy. I am considering making another batch and shaping them into maybe a snowman or even like a dog or something. I thought that might be fun for the kids. I could add some eyes and stuff. I may need to cool it with trying to be super mom. Otherwise they are going to expect it.

I am sleepy this morning. I think the few nights of going to bed later are catching up. Plus, last night I slept odd. In the beginning of the night, I was freezing. Then I woke up at like 2, and was in a strange sleep and not asleep state that although was kind of comfortable, probably wasn’t sound enough.

I love the crazy people who think there are aliens in route and that there is a cover up and that spend their whole life being obsessed with this. This lady they are talking to on K&B is uber crazy. When they talked to her a couple years ago, she said the end of the world is coming, and she had her dog put down so she wouldn’t have to worry about him. She is now saying the pup was feral, which is why she put it down, but I think she is just covering her butt. So crazy.

I wonder if Google has some kind of document saving system. You can upload photos, but I wonder if I can upload word documents.

Ok, my work has gone stupid. They have now blocked all news sites. Yep, if something happens and I want to quickly check, not allowed. Lovely. I am guessing within a month, I will not be able to go to anything here. Look, business is slow. If an employee is checking the news, it isn’t because they are screwing around. It is because they are bored since we have no work. You have laid off a crap load of folks. Who is making the network slow here? At this point, I assume personal emails will be going away, too, so I am about to end all correspondence with folks. Probably safer right now.

No comments: