Monday, February 8, 2010

no net

2-8-10

I have been without the internet for 2 full days. It has driven me nuts. The storm on Friday night apparently seems to have taken out our neighborhood’s phone lines, which means our DSL is out and has been since Saturday morning. We may not have phone service until later today. It isn’t fun having no access to email or Facebook or even simple news sites.

Other than the lack of the technology, the weekend was pretty good. Friday night we took the boys to my folks where even though Bobby was a little sad, they both seemed to do pretty well. Ken and I stopped by Target before getting home to eat our yummy chips and salsa and to watch Zombieland and the Hangover. Both were great and it was a nice relaxing evening.

I woke up kind of earlier than I needed to, but I figured I could go play on the net while Ken slept. This is when I discovered the lack of connection. I ended up getting dressed instead and we assessed the leaks and other damage from the rain. Our backyard was a swamp. We had a couple of new leaks, meaning a new roof was something in our near future.

I headed to my parents’ house to get the boys. I assumed that I would end up dinking around over there for a bit, but the kids were kind of ushered out quickly. Not that they were bad or anything, but I am sure it is nice to have some peace and quiet.

When we got home, they watched Ken play some of the Star Wars Wii while I read through a magazine and worked on things like laundry. Saturday turned out to not be as rainy as they said, so the boys got on their boots and we all went out back. They stomped in the puddles and leaves and had a good ole time.

At around 12:30, the boys went down for a nap. Clearly between puddle jumping and the adventure of staying at my parents’ house, they were beat since they ended up sleeping till 4:30! We had to wake them up! In order to get out the last bit of their energy, we took them to McDonald’s. They played there for a while, but it was clear they were both still exhausted. They were slightly cranky and out of sorts. We didn’t stay too long.

When we got home, Ken walked up to where the AT&T guys were in order to check on our phone status. They were originally not going to come out until Tuesday since apparently you need to have multiple complaints from neighbors in order to make it high priority. A good chunk of our neighbors are cell phone free. So Ken walked from house to house, while on the line with AT&T, having each neighbor register their phone number in order to escalate the service call. This meant they came out that same day. It wasn’t good news when he got back. The problem was underground and at the soonest, it would not be up until some time Sunday. And that didn’t even seem likely.

Sunday was bowling day. Matt was in a feisty mood and was picking fights right out of the gate. It was funny, the day before Ken had asked me if my stress from bowling had lessened since Freddie left. Although Freddie didn’t help matters, he was never the source of tension. Matt is a constant point for me to get annoyed. I don’t like when he and Ken fight, I don’t like it when he picks on the boys. I don’t like it when he argues with me on stuff he has no clue on. Yesterday he started picking a fight about the Super Bowl. He announces randomly that there was no Coke or Pepsi ads for this year’s Super Bowl. I told him that it was only Pepsi that had decided to not do ads. He then went off. For the record, we saw at least two Coke ads. At one point, he was criticizing Bobby’s bowling. What the fuck? I pulled Bobby aside and told him to never listen to what Matt says, and he laughed, so I was glad that Bobby wasn’t too scarred.

The bowling had me pretty cranky for the day. I was just feeling out of sorts. I don’t know why. Perhaps lack of internet was putting me in withdrawals.

The plan was to go to Disneyland during the Super Bowl. It ended up not being nearly as empty as hoped. It also wasn’t overcast as we had expected. It was actually beautiful out. Even so, we had a good time and went on a handful of rides. The boys had never been in Sleeping Beauty’s castle, nor had they been on Mr. Toad before. They liked both!

We left the park around 6. It has been quite enjoyable to only go there for a couple hours at a time. The boys have not complained nearly as much as I would expect. But it seems that as long as we tell them only one more ride they are mentally prepared for it. Last night, though, Bobby in particular was more pissy than normal. He grouched quite a bit from the train all the way to the car. He was also freaking out in the car because as he put it, Dax was being “weird”. Dax’s weird was him singing to himself and bebopping around. Yes, it would not surprise me if Dax was doing it partially to piss off his big brother, but really, he was being quiet about it and therefore not breaking any rules, so we couldn’t very well yell at him. Thank goodness we stopped and got dinner since kids with food in their mouths are way less pissy.

We got home and they both crashed out hard when they went to bed. This was good since we were then able to watch the Super Bowl commercials without interruption. I certainly didn’t want to stay up too late. I was about to crash out, too.

This morning I still didn’t have the net and I felt so annoyed since had I known, I would have slept for another 25 minutes since that is the time normally spent online.

I am looking forward to Spring time even more now. Sure, I get to get a new hair style, but also, we are going to give new meaning to Spring Cleaning. There was some talk of putting some of the Lego stuff into storage. Of course, a lot depends on pricing. I just looked up those Pods, and man, they are expensive. It would be cheaper to just get one of those small ones! Once some of the bulk stuff that isn’t being used currently for the business is in storage, the garage can be utilized again, maybe even for some of the daily Lego Ken has in the entry way. We also have some sheds to clean out, which might even possibly empty one of them so I can use it for the bikes and other equipment for the kids. Bobby has expressed interest in throwing out many of the old beat up toys in the yard, so that will also happen. He already threw out a bunch, and thanks to Luna, a handful of other items have been trashed for us. We also have gobs of crap in the attic that will be gone through and put out for a yard sale. It will be a busy few months I figure.

Ken just talked to some of the AT&T guys and it turns out of course that the temp line they put in doesn’t actually cover our block. It figures. Either way, the soonest we will get phone is tonight, maybe. My noon net time today will be very jam packed.

No comments: