Friday, February 22, 2013

I don't know that anyone wins


2-22-13

I am still flustered.

You could tell it would not go well before we even got in the classroom. Ms. Jenkins was frosty and jumpy. Principal Allen was nice, which was good, but it would not warm up this classroom.

We sat down and Ken took the lead. He explained right out of the gate that we didn’t hate the teacher or the school. He went on to explain that we needed an open dialogue concerning homework levels. He explained how Bobby was taking a great deal of time on these packets and that after asking around, it appeared that we were not the only ones with this complaint.

Ms. Jenkins was more concerned with why we had not spoken to her before. The communication between her and us and really other parents has never been enough. Sure, we are friendly, but often we don’t know what is going on in class unless we are prompted by our kid. Ken has tried to ask her about certain things and she seems upset. Last month when I wrote a quick note asking Bobby to be excused from losing some books we didn’t know about (and offering to replace them), she was rather short with Ken and we have not heard anything else about it. The biography report was left up to our interpretation, and to be honest, I don’t have the time to ask her every day what needs to be done.

The blame was instantly put on Bobby. He is slow in class, he takes longer than others. He often has to finish his work in the other classroom. Mind you, both Ms. Jenkins and Principal Allen told us that Bobby is bright and at grade level. Yet they feel he is too slow. Ms. Jenkins seems to think that the rest of the class has no problems.

The principal explained that every single one of my letters were sent back to her to take care of. Ultimately the level of homework was at the discretion of the school. Yet, she indicated that they didn’t need (or want) to change anything. Everyone in LAUSD has been passing the buck like a pro.

They offered to lower Bobby’s homework. We said this wasn’t enough. We explained how much time kids in the class were taking. Sadly, this was on deaf ears. When I asked about the homework policy and the 10% of the grade it was allowed to consist of, they said this didn’t apply to elementary school. These kids would be benched for not finishing work.

I was getting angry.

I told them the packets were a waste of time. I cited the word search worksheet from this week’s packet. It had clues indicating that these words would be their vocabulary words for the week. Never you mind that none of us parents get this list of vocabulary words. Yet they were to have to locate words in this word search. This is a timely exercise for even the most advanced kids. I have to be honest, I had a hard time finding one word.

They indicated the kids should already know these words. They said that the homework should be done with minimal to no parent help. Yet in the same meeting these people told me that these worksheets were the one set of English the parents have access to. So wait, are parents supposed to help or not?

I knew this was all a lost cause within 3 minutes of anyone talking. My resolve to get the hell out of this school district was strengthened. I can’t have my kids deal with the bullshit any longer.

The modifications to Bobby’s homework were made in the form of I could decide what he turns in and he wouldn’t get in trouble for not completing the rest. This means I will have him do sentences (since those are good practice) but much of the other time consuming bullshit will not be done.

Ken tried to explain to these ladies how much time I spend with our kids. He was a loud advocate for me and he was great in helping my voice for our kids be heard. Sadly, our voices were not loud enough.
I left the meeting drained and miserable. I still have to go back to this classroom today to bring cupcakes. It means she will be cold towards me and I don’t have my support team since Ken has class. Luckily I can talk with all the kids, all of whom are awesome to me.

I broke down crying when I got home. I had to go in the bathroom to do so since the boys had their friends over. I don’t mind crying in front of my kids, but I think it would be rude to do so in front of other kids.
The house is ready for a party tomorrow. I promised Bobby and Jessica that part of the party would include the disco dance portion in the living room. They were quite excited. Ken secured a kick ass bounce house from our neighbors who rent them out. It will be a fun time and I am so happy that I will be surrounded with people who love me and my kids. It means the world to me right now. I feel weak after battling evil.

No comments: