Monday, February 4, 2013

yep, that was a weekend I guess


2-4-13

I would like a second weekend since this one was not productive enough.

Date night was good! We went out to dinner at BJ’s in the Del Amo Mall. We sat at the bar, which was really just so drinks could get to us quicker. LOL! The food was ok. I would be willing to go back another time to check out something else.

We went to the theatre to see about watching a movie. Clearly I either am spoiled with matinee pricing or I just don’t see how much the tickets cost normally. I saw that for 2 tickets it was $40 and I about lost my mind. $40? No. I just can’t do that. So instead, we went home and watched Hunger Games on the new tv, which was actually quite happy making.


The soccer meeting was long. Seriously, there is no way that it was going to be anything but. We were covering a lot of ground, and I even found myself someone engaged with a lot of it. In a lot of ways, it was even a bit, dare I say, fun. The problem was that people just tend to get off topic too much. The only real reason I was toughing it out was for my part, which was sadly at the end, and way behind schedule in terms of how much time was left in the day.

Thank goodness the RC is awesome. Jerry rocks. He really does. He gets how I do things and he appreciates the fact that I don’t bullshit on the numbers. He knows that I am by the book enough to keep things from ever having another $26K SNAFU like they did a couple of years ago. He also knows I am flexible when needed.

On Saturday, the whole group also got to see that I am not one to be fucked with.
The referee and coaching coordinators both had been always given lots of reign and freedom. They were under the impression that they had their own “budget” and that they could just dictate what they wanted. This was about to come to an abrupt stop.

I went toe to toe in a room of the board members with the ref coordinator. He had the gall to say the words, “that is always how we did it.” I responded with, “Well, it was done poorly, and wrong. It will not be done correct.” I was stern and held my ground. What is even better is that I think I had on my side some of the most important people. Yay!

I am proud for a number of reasons. I have never created a budget for an organization before. Now I am putting together a budget for an organization with $100K in receivables and $80K in payables. I had to stand up to people and tell them how things will be done from here on out. I owned it with passion, and for that I am proud of myself. I could have just gone along with what everyone wanted. Instead, I refused to be that person.

Now I have some work ahead of me in the idea that I need to go over some figures again and present them for Thursday’s meeting. Yes, another fucking meeting. Thankfully I think I can make that one in which we do the budget stuff early and then I can duck out. I wasn’t planning on going to this meeting at all, but I can’t have anyone fucking with my budget.

We picked up the boys who were quite exhausted from the day of fun with my folks. We had a quick errand to run and you could tell they were spent in how quickly they would break down over something simple. Luckily we were home pretty quickly and we were all able to relax.

Sunday was an out and about day.

We did get a wonderful meal of Don Jose’s. The outing also resulted in a giant bag of photos from Grammie for me to be able to scan. I had considered only scanning the pics of Grammie I need, but she had so many other wonderful pics, I am working on scanning all of them. I figure I just need to get them done by the 23rd since that is Bobby’s birthday and she may be coming then.

Once I finish scanning them, I need to sit down with my mom on the album and figure out who is who. That way I can note them for my files. I can tell who most people are if I know them as grown ups. Plus, I can tell who people are from their baby pics. That being said, there are some set of people I don’t know. Two of my great aunts look so much alike, I can’t tell them apart. Hell, they look just like Grammie, too. It is cute, actually. They could be triplets! Their 4th sister looks nothing like them. She looks more like their daddy.
It was depressing at times, looking through the photos, knowing just how many of them are gone now. My mom gets worried with this one pic of her parents and siblings. They have died in order, starting from the right. Based on this, my mom is next. I really hope this isn’t the case.

The whole house seemed off after we got home on Sunday. There was a tired and grouchy feel from everyone. I am impressed that we didn’t have more issues. Bobby managed to complete some homework, and Dax got his hair cut. They both still had plenty of time to go play with their friends, too. I spent what seemed like forever scanning photos. I am guessing I maybe completed 25% of the total photos she gave me. Not bad, really.




Ken and I watched the Super Bowl commercials through the afternoon while the boys played. We even watched some parts of the game. Seriously, though, football is too slow. I love watching sports. I have truly determined that I can get into any game. That being said, football is boring. Watching it live would be silly for me. Tivo is my football friend.

Only one commercial made me cry, which is pretty good! I usually cry at way more.

I really need to take these boxes of books I have to Goodwill. I would donate them to the school, but I don’t know really how many of them are library worthy. Then again, I could just donate them and let them decide. I am hoping to get it done this week. I need to buckle down on some clutter. I am getting a head start on this whole spring cleaning thing.

Having lost most of my weekend, I do have quite a bit of housework to attend to. I think I can probably work on some of it during homework today. We shall see. I may work on the living room and let the boys do homework in there today so I can keep an eye on them. Either that or I will complete the playroom. Either way, I am going to kick some ass. 

No comments: