Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Being a grownup is busy

1-27-16

For a crazy day, it was rather successful!

My reports were pretty standard. I did have a little issue early on, but luckily I was able to locate the problem quickly and it wasn’t too big a deal to correct. I have gotten most of the reports down to the point where I am shockingly efficient with them. Thank goodness!

In the afternoon before the boys showed up, Ken worked on a number of little projects and I helped him with specifically the installation of one of the security cameras. We now have one outside pointing at the front area that covers my car and the front door. They are actually quite clear and cover a good section which is nice. We also put one in the living room. I like the idea of having a couple inside specifically for when I am at a board meeting as I can then let the boys stay at home and I can check on them from my phone.

The installation isn’t quick since we need to drill holes and run wires. However, the system itself seems quite good and it will give us nice piece of mind. It has the capability of having I think 16 cameras and it came with 12. It will be nice when they are all up and running.

Ken also installed a light switch in the garage that has a motion sensor so that if the light is left on it will turn off after a little while. Super yay! I am shocked at how annoyed I get at lights left on and this particular one is always a pet peeve of mine so it will be nice to not ever have that light be a problem.

In addition to electronics, I spent some time trying a new dinner. We had picked up short ribs at Costco as I thought it would be good to branch out on types of foods. I looked up some recipes online and most looked pretty simple. It was almost as if they are hard to honk up. So I seasoned the meat and then seared it. Then I added wine and more seasonings and let simmer. I then transferred it to a casserole dish and threw in the oven for a slow cook at about 300 for a couple hours. It was surprisingly easy. When we got home from practice, the meat was crazy tender. I liked it, especially with some mashed potatoes. I was encouraged that Bobby had three helpings! I will try it again, next time with some different seasonings, specifically considering using my Gourmet Sauce from Costco (a thick teriyaki sauce we love). I felt like it was such a grownup meal, what with me making potatoes and meat and having a glass of wine with it.

I had been unsure of attending practice last night, but I asked Bobby if he would like to walk/scooter up to the park like we did before and he was super jazzed about it. Yay! We opted to take the dogs despite AYSO rules concerning dogs at anything soccer related. It was a very nice walk! It probably took us just shy of an hour and it was really great! We talked the whole time which is always a great benefit to hanging out with that kid. He and I discussed everything from selfies to cooking to old soccer sites being that we walked through a park in which I have practiced at when I was a Gunner.
When we got to practice I ended up spending a lot of time talking with one of the little sisters of a player who is a total sweetie. She loved the dogs and she seemed happy that I was willing to talk to her. She asked a lot of questions, including how old I was. She seemed surprised that I was 40 so I will take that as a compliment.

Tonight looks to be more hectic, what with the afternoon being filled with dentist appointments and homework and practice. In addition to this, Ken’s soccer game starts at 7, which means Bobby and I will go along as it means a lot to Ken that we go. There will be some logistics that need to be sorted out, specifically in the area of dinner. I get home right around the time the boys do today since my appointment is at 2 and will take about an hour and they have clay class, which gets them home about 10 minutes after they would normally arrive home. If we hope to eat dinner before practice, it means Ken will need to either cook or help with homework. Otherwise we will need to pick up dinner on the way from practice to the game. I don’t enjoy the crazy, but it isn’t always this extreme all that often so we will just have to roll with it.

Now to make my work day count!


No comments: