Thursday, January 7, 2016

Meat Head

1-7-16

Is it assumed that fat people don’t understand why they are fat?

I ask this question based on the conversation I had with our trainer yesterday. Our company, which has a pretty kick ass gym also employs a personal trainer that comes once a week to help employees with their fitness goals. It is a fantastic benefit to working here and I have in fact even used the gym. I am even considering doing so again in the near future.

Our trainer comes to my neck of the woods to speak to my department as the cubs next door to me house 3 avid users of both gym and his services. I have never actually spoken to this particular trainer before yesterday. We have had several come through here, all of whom have been very kind and encouraging to everyone attempting to better themselves. This gentleman didn’t realize that someone actually resided in my little corner of the room and was genuinely surprised when he peeked his head around my cube wall to find a live person!

He introduced himself and you could actually see the combo of disgust and excitement in his eyes when he was standing there shaking the hand of this morbidly obese woman. I became his “project” and I could already tell he had extensive workout notes for me to jump on immediately.

The first question he asked me was, “How’s your health?” What a loaded question on so many levels. I won’t even get into the idea that he clearly meant only my physical health, not my mental well-being. I responded, already on the defensive, that I was feeling fantastic. It wasn’t an outright lie, either. I had truly been feeling more robust of late and truly feeling inspired at this idea of walking with Bobby during practice having already completed one walk this week of two miles and anxious to do some more this evening. He looked skeptical at my response and it was at this point my opinion of him plummeted.

I mentioned my recent fitness goals of walking with my son and he looked unimpressed. He then launched into a whole clearly regurgitated script of how people are often fat because they eat too late or drink milk late at night. He didn’t even try to sugar coat his thoughts on my physical appearance. He also clearly knew nothing about me, including the fact that I am not snacking late at night because my ass is in bed by 8 most nights with dinner scheduled for 5 on most evenings. I explained these things to him and I sensed I had derailed his train of arrogance. He quickly tried to put on the brakes and try a new tactic but by this time I had already effectively dismissed his attempts and he left soon after looking rather defeated.

I appreciate the idea that yes, I am not the healthiest person around. I also am well aware of not only that I am fat, but that I know how I got there. Trainers and many fitness folks seem to not realize that there is no secret on getting in shape. It isn’t as though people who are rounder than the average person are shocked one morning to wake up and see that they no longer fit in their clothing. We are not stupid simply because we are large.

Sadly, his cold call of trying to sell me on his fitness methods was reminiscent of a Jehovah’s Witness coming to my door or the crazy ladies at the makeup counter thinking that somehow I want to be sprayed with their perfume. Trust me, I am fine with not believing in your god and I don’t need to smell like a whore.  It is this delusional approach to helping people that truly just comes across as cocky and clueless to the idea that people don’t choose everything they do lightly. An obese person doesn’t choose to be fat in the way one thinks. They have chosen a path that isn’t healthy and they understand this. It isn’t always a good decision, but they understand eating greasy foods 3 nights a week with limited activity will most likely result in pudge.


I know that ultimately I will in fact have to change my lifestyle for many reasons, including everything from health to making sure I can still be a good parent. I can assure you, though, it wasn’t because some burly man came over to my desk once and indirectly ridiculed me without any knowledge of who I am. I have to do it for me, and if at that time I need an expert’s help, I will seek them out. And sir, you are not one of the candidates I am looking at. 

No comments: