Friday, January 15, 2016

hunger beast

1-15-16

I feel so loved when people tell me they are reading!

Note to self regarding substance for the children; always make the decision for them when they are tired. Holy crap, was Dax a mess last night. We left practice and were going to pick something up to eat. We were heading to fast food when we noted the food truck event they have every Thursday at Narbonne. Sadly, they had nothing interesting, but Dax could hardly contain himself. He wanted a taco. He wanted to eat at a place. He only wanted a certain kind of taco. He was teary and not being assertive enough when we made suggestions but just cried more when we started to settle on something he said he was fine with. It was crazy. Bobby wasn’t much easier, but he was just flustered and indignant. When we decided on Alfredo’s, afterward he made arguments rivaling the best lawyers out there on how he felt he had been patient regarding Dax’s meltdown and that now he felt he was owed desert. He even pointed out how we didn’t bring his iPad to the soccer field and how he had walked to Wilson Park with me against his will. It was hard to not laugh. It was hard to not get annoyed, too. Fairness seems to be the challenge of the land these days and quite frankly I am sick of it. I allowed him his soap box moment and then explained to him how late it was and that perhaps we would consider a sweets run this evening instead. He didn’t object verbally, but his body certainly twitched in anger but he kept his mouth shut. Man, these kids!

Despite his objections, our walk was quite pleasant. Plus, he is the one who actually suggested a longer walk so if anything I can say this was his idea. We hit up the library on the way and I got my book and library card renewed. Bobby used his scooter the whole way, which may have even been more of a workout what with the hills we encountered. The whole adventure took just shy of an hour I would say. I am tempted to make this a weekly thing, especially since he has expressed interest in the chess class after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I could most likely stick around with him once he got home from school (Dax of course arriving sooner) and help with homework and then we could set out to the practice. That being said, as much as I love watching Dax play, it may be something where I stay home with Bobby since it would allow me to make dinner as opposed to picking up food. It would also prevent Bobby from having to be at the soccer field every day. I haven’t worked all of this out in my head, but it is a work in progress. Sadly, it all reeks of the theme I had mentioned above, which as I have pointed out I am done with.

Dax plays tomorrow at noon, which has me in a bundle of nervousness that is relentless. I am trying to focus on just him having fun. I also am able to divert my energy to just making sure we have all his gear together and that we get there on time. Ken will be heading out earlier than us, most likely reffing a match before our game. Dax may in fact opt to go early with Ken just to watch games, but we shall see. As much as I want him to win, I know that no matter the outcome we will need to prepare him for being both a gracious winner and loser.

Thankfully my evening looks clear so I will be able to get home today, toss on my sweats and not worry about anything specific. I keep wanting to run by Savers on my way home to see if I can duplicate my luck in finding more of the long sleeve undershirts Dax favors. But today I think aside from stopping for fuel, I am just going to go and use my afternoon to do nothing. I may even start my library book which sounds actually like quite a wonderful afternoon. Now let’s hope my day at work goes by swiftly.


No comments: