Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Not nearly as verbose

2-10-16
I promise, today will be shorter.

We went to practice last night. We didn’t stay too long since I felt like it was bumming Dax out a bit, especially when the boys all started practicing. It was especially hard since it was both teams together, which I know he had wanted to do for some time. Everyone was happy to see him and were very positive with their conversations, which is good. One of the boys did say something about how they won’t win now, which I responded by saying that they still will do great and to not think like that. I would have liked to hear the other grownups be as positive. I liked that Dan suggested that DJ could just run around next to Dax and hold up his arm and Dax could still play. I think Dax enjoyed that one, too.


It is interesting realizing just how many things someone has difficulty with when they are down an arm. Dax has done amazing, but simple things like tying your shoes or putting toothpaste on the brush are a bit of a pain. We went and got him some slip on shoes, which thankfully he was grateful for. He doesn’t seem to want to ask for help, which is admirable, but at the same time I want him to feel like he can. I think he does, but his fierce independence is inspiring.

I am starting to freak out ever since Bobby’s bombshell that he doesn’t want to do the U-Code party after all and instead wants to do something at the house. I certainly don’t mind this, especially since he can invite more people and it helps encourage the coolness of Steve. However, what the hell are we gonna do as a party? 11 year olds are not 5 years olds. Sure, bounce house would still go over well, but honestly, and I hate this, but, I don’t want to get one for a couple reasons. One, the cool ones won’t fit in our yard. Two, Dax will be devastated he can’t participate. Three, what happens if El Nino finally shows it’s head without warning? Yeah, all kinds of bad. So I started looking into ideas. A backyard movie might be awesome. We can project it on the wall outside, or downstairs somehow and really make it a theme based on the movie chosen. I considered a dance party. Glow sticks, thumping music and make the whole outside a groovy wonderland. He mentioned wanting sloths to be the theme, but I totally don’t know that it will work out. I need to talk to the kid and figure it out today. I think we can do a late afternoon/evening party on the 20th still, so that is my plan. Either way, we need to get out invites ASAP.

So my new car, which is not a Town and Country and I am unsure as to why I thought this, has been fun getting to know. We set up the garage door opener that is part of it which seemed to be an amazing stroke of luck what with the one I had before having been stolen and replacements are like $65. Now we don’t need to get a new one! Yay! I also balked at the idea of heated seats, but I gotta say, I enjoyed the hell out of it this morning when I thought I would just try it out. Heat on your lower back is quite pleasant in the morning. I still need to load my music, which doesn’t look to be too difficult, but it does mean I need to get a cord in there. I may actually take my charging cord home from work today just to try out playing my iPod in the car.

Thankfully my schedule today isn’t as crazy as I anticipated. Andy doesn’t come until next week. We still have the orthodontist appointment, but those are crazy easy and maybe Dax will once again have little to no homework tonight which means he can finish while Bobby gets adjusted. I am on the fence about letting him go to Ken’s game. On one hand, I know he likes going. However, the reason he likes to go is that he gets to play some soccer. Right now, he really shouldn’t. I think I will say no with the excuse that he still needs to catch up on sleep and until he has the hard cast, he needs to take it easy. Mind you, I am not shocked at his insistence to not be slowed down by some injury.

I am counting down right now. Tomorrow Trusty will be out of the office for a whole week!! I know it is silly to be this jazzed about something, but dammit, we have to take pleasure in the little things in life.

I just printed out the schedule for the Strikers for this weekend. I almost cried.


No comments: