Monday, May 18, 2009

earthquake!!

5-18-09

Seriously, I hate earthquakes.

Last night was uncool on every freaking level. Monarch was sitting on my lap while Ken and I watched My Name is Earl. Monarch clearly heard it before me, and he did grip on. As far as whether he freaked because of the earthquake or because then I freaked is hard to say. I know I now have a nice scratch mark down my leg. I screamed briefly, but Ken yelled out for me not to scream. We were hoping that the boys would not freak, so if they heard me yelling, then that might be more scary.

Luckily, Dax had fallen asleep enough that he continued sleeping. Ken and I watched the monitors, but as soon as Ken realized Bobby was up, he went in his room. I didn’t want to go shouting into Dax’s if I didn’t need to. He didn’t need to be woken up by a panicked mom.

Bobby was fine, a little confused at the stuffed animal that fell from his shelf. He may have been a little more spooked once Ken asked him if he was scared. He came out of his room a couple times, but he did fall asleep, so I think he ended up being fine.

Earthquake coverage on local news, especially when the quake is uneventful, is pretty stupid. They mostly have people calling in, giving their location and what it all felt like. Same stories everywhere, btw. But then they talked to a guy who said these words. “It felt like it was coming from the ground up.” Are you fucking kidding me? What, did the other earthquakes come from the sky? They let this guy on the air to say this not once, but twice, and also let him talk for a good 2 minutes, which shocked me. I suppose when there isn’t much to report, and truly, they only keep reporting to allow folks to tune in to see what the deal is, it is all about filler.

Other than the shaking, the weekend was rather uneventful. Saturday, I did in fact take my dad to get his tattoo. It was a much longer trip than it needed to be. Although yes, we were early, we waited forever! We got there about 15 minutes before the appointment and the guy got the scoop on what my dad wanted. Then he actually left to get breakfast! Granted, he was gone all of 5 minutes, but still. It took him an hour to draw a spider. It was ok only because my dad and I chit chatted for that time. We were there for the 3 hour block, but the guy only charged us for one hour, so not too bad. Plus, he did an amazing job. I really like the artist, despite his time consuming bullshitting. He could talk, that is for sure!

My mom had watched the boys while we were gone, which you would have thought would have zapped all their energy. They were shockingly alert when we got back. Although both did eventually fall asleep on the way home, it wasn’t a long nap. Both were back awake when we got home, and proceeded to go outside for a couple of hours.

Dax and I did run over to the grocery store so that I could get stuff to make lasagna. We got back, and I started in on the food. As I was browning the meat, and putting spices on, I broke out into this coughing fit. It was horrible. I assumed it was the same as I have been doing, but this one didn’t stop. It felt like I had pepper in my throat. It got worse! I almost couldn’t catch my breath. Ken and Chris were in the living room, so luckily they came in to check on me. Ken realized immediately that it wasn’t my cold, it was something burning on the pot. He got me into the other room and got the pot off the stove. Apparently some of the spices had burned on the pot itself, making the nasty smoke. Luckily it did not ruin the meat, and I was able to continue once the kitchen was aired out a bit.

Sunday I really should not have bowled, but I did. My coughing has been so annoying. But I managed. The good news was the boys were still tired, so they went down for a nap pretty easily. They also slept from 11:30 or so until almost 3. Dax got up a bit before Bobby, pretty much around the time when Ken got home from his birthday party. It meant that I was able to relax during that time. I watched the Farrah Fawcett special and then in an attempt to cheer up, I watched the rest of the Michael J Fox special. I fell asleep for a little bit, maybe 20 minutes? But I can safely say I didn’t get up once. Yay!

We all went over to Del Amo where the Armed Forces Day stuff was. It was just ending, but we actually got there at a good time since we got to watch three helicopters take off, including a Black Hawk. So that was cool. There was this market place thing there that apparently will be there for the next 6 weeks. I am going back this weekend to get some corn for the bbq we are doing on Sunday for Jenni. Yay! So Fresh Market is this thing, but looking at the web site, it only has them being at Del Amo for now. Not sure what their deal is.

I am chewing some Jolt gum. Chewing 2 pieces is supposed to be the same caffeine amount as one cup of coffee. I don’t notice it so far.

I hate the hiccups!

I hate this cough even more. When I cough, my whole chest hurts, as does my stomach. I have had killer heartburn since the cough, too. I had hoped for more sleep on Saturday morning, but was awoken by Dax screaming. “I want it!!!” at six am. Never fun.

Even though I have the coolness that is Jenni coming this weekend for Sunday, I think I may actually have some down time! Yes, some cleaning needs to be done, but that shouldn’t be too bad. I am hoping that I will be able to get some sleep in, and maybe catch up on some movies. We have one Netflix from like a month ago!

So I just realized what was missing. I don’t have my watch! It is now 9 am and I only just figured out that I didn’t put it on. Wow. How lame is that? Not that I really use it, especially at work. I have a clock on my computer, and that seems to be good enough. I just miss the jangle on my arm.

I am becoming more set on the idea of Mommy Cat on the inside of my wrist. Of course she will have the rockin red plaid skirt and some black top. Not sure how big. I now know that it costs $120 an hour with this guy, so clearly I have some saving to do. I may call back and ask him how long he thinks it would take. I also want to have him draw it on a different day than I actually get it done. Ken is going to go with me this time so that he gets to be privy to the whole experience. That in itself should be interesting. I know that in reality it isn’t the bear cubs, but both the boys recognize Hello Kitty as Mommy Cat, and I have liked her all alternative looking for a while now. I truly think that when I am 85 years old, I will look fondly at her wrinkled image on my arm. And besides, by that time if I truly don’t like it, I am sure there will be some tattoo removal booth at the mall for like $5.

I am so impressed with Bobby. He asked me the other day why airplanes don’t flap their wings like birds. Pretty impressive, kid!

Why is old school Elton John so damn good??????

Bobby got up this morning and told Ken, “Daddy, last night the ground moved!”

I have to say, earthquakes are way different when you have kids. You have to stay calm despite your own fears. It is such a strange way to almost get over your own fears. Bugs, giant roller coasters, hell, I am sure I will end up having to get over my most irrational fears. I have two fearless boys, and if I show weakness, I may make them nervous, or more importantly, I will provide them with sources of blackmail. Look, that is all I need is them to literally hold something like a moth over my head in order to say let them have cake.

I have also found my vomit point. Dax spit an actual loogie on my chest. Let’s just say I would have rather him puked on me.

Thank you Wayne’s World for giving me a fantastic way to introduce Queen to my boys.

When did I cut my hair? I am trying to figure out when I hit 6 weeks since I noticed my hair turning some grays again. I don’t want to touch it up until it has been at least that long.

No comments: