Thursday, May 14, 2009

I almost forgot to post!

5-14-09

It’s a no boss day today! YAY!

I am officially sick and tired of this stupid cough. I hate it. I was coughing so much last night I almost threw up. It was awful. It seems to be worse in the early morning and in the evening. What really sucks is that I have no time to rest to get this better. Plus, now Bobby started coughing, which means now the whole house has gone through this. I have not heard Ken cough as much, and Dax’s seems to be going away. Hopefully Bobby gets the light version.

I considered writing a journal on the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy of the military, but I just don’t have it in me. Lots of opinions on it, feel that it is regulated discrimination, but my brain just feels so fried this morning. I keep looking at the calendar, not sure what day it is. Don’t even ask me what month it is since that would surely blow my circuits.

Maybe I can leave early today. I always say I will and that I will sleep, but we all know it will never happen. If I get home, I will end up working on something. Of course, I might just watch tv, which although is resting, it isn’t sleeping which is truly what I need.

I am looking forward to Saturday since I am taking my dad to get his second and possibly third tattoos. He wants 2, but we have to see how he handles the one and how much he bleeds. He should be fine, but you never know. We have a 3 hour session booked, so hopefully it won’t take long, especially since they are small. I am still in a bit of shock at my dad getting no only tattoos, but possibly enough that will mean he has more than me! I may also talk to the guy and see what kind of time it will take to do a Mommy Cat.

I wonder if there is a way to get a tattoo of those classic paper dolls. You know, the ones with the little tabs for you to be able to put on the little cardboard outfits? And then I want the tattoo to have it’s own clothing line, where basically you can just somehow stick a new outfit on the doll every day. Have the ink on your leg or something. Ok, perhaps too much effort.

I want an iPhone just to have all the apps.

Ken has at least one birthday party scheduled for this weekend, and I think we need to figure out what sets he needs tonight so I can get to bed reasonably on Friday night.

It feels like it is going to be a slow day today. I wish that meant I could read my book, but despite it being a boss free day, it is hard to pull that off. It may be a Wiki day.

I know am tired. I feel feisty about stupid things again. I wish I knew how Michael J Fox did it. He is amazing. He has this horrible disease, and yet, he is able to look at all the good. All I am is a little tired, and I am grouchy. Why can’t I look at the good I do have and not dwell on the bad? Or more importantly, how is it that he can over look his bad and be happy with the good? If we could bottle the essence of MJF, I am telling you, the world would be a better place. I need to get his latest book and I need to finish watching his companion documentary. I started it, and I swear, just hearing his voice made me smile. I am sure he gets frustrated at times, and I am sure he yells and vents just like anyone else. But there is just that energy that is awesome.

I think it is almost time to set up the pool. We were trying to determine if we want it on the lawn or the driveway, but based on how much Lego is on the driveway, perhaps the lawn is where it will go.

I feel like I was so out of touch in 1993. I had not realized that both Doogie Howser and Cheers both went off the air in 1993. I do know that the kids on 90210 graduated that year (as with the kids on Saved by the Bell). I must not have watched those shows at that point. Did I watch much of anything? I know I watched Little House on the Prairie one summer, along with Love Boat with Angela. I know I watched Twin Peaks. But other than that, what the hell did I watch? I don’t know why it matters. It is more of a curiosity at this point. Whatever I did watch, I am sure I enjoyed the show, but clearly not enough to care what they were 16 years later.

My children are going through withdrawals. Ken informed me that the boys were uber cranky this morning. Sure, you could chalk it up to the sick that has taken over our household, or even Bobby feeling sad that after two days of getting to go to work with Daddy he had to go back to daycare. But my theory is that they were hungry. Why were they so hungry, you might ask? Well, it is because both of them essentially refused dinner. Up until semi recently, I had pretty much made two dinners. One for Ken and I, and one for the boys. Don’t get me wrong, there was many times in which there was a single meal that we all enjoyed. However, in my hopes to expose them to other food, I often would make them a plate of 3 or 4 different things. Kind of the theory if I throw a bunch of crap at them, something would stick. I even cut back their milk consumption in the afternoons so that they would not fill up on just that. In the past couple weeks, I made a decision to make dinner. Not dinner for each family member, dinner for the family. Restaurant dinning was no longer happening. Don’t get me wrong, they still get sandwiches galore. If they had their way, it would be an every night thing. I pack sandwiches for outings in which there will be food they probably won’t like and I know that they need food based on the amount of energy they will be putting out. I also use them as peace keepers. But as much as there is a pretty decent amount of nutrients in their peanut butter sandwiches, I would like them to have some other things, too.

Two nights ago we had mac and cheese. This has been a time tested meal, with both boys having eaten it, and Bobby tends to love it. Neither of them ate a bite. Instead of worrying, they ended up going to bed with no dinner. Last night, we had taquitos and beans. Another item both have eaten and enjoyed. Dax had a few bites, as did Bobby, but overall, no real consumption. I did give them each a slice of bread, but with nothing on it. I think their morning cranky was a direct result of not having their standard food in their tummies. Tonight is FFY (Fend For Yourself), so they get the choice, so I am sure I will be whipping up some PB&H. But tomorrow, back to my plan. One dinner for everyone. I know, I let them get away with it for a while, but let’s face it, I am the pickiest person in the world, and I can understand their pickiness. Bobby at least has been trying some things, but I just wish I could get them to eat even a turkey sandwich. Sure, still sandwich, but different middle! There are lots of great sandwiches out there, they should branch out! They currently are carb junkies, and I am telling you, Bobby could probably survive on bread and water if he wanted to go on some kind of food strike. Dax could too, but he would want at least milk. I need to thumb though the cookbook and see what looks appetizing to kids and to me, and maybe then I can come up with some grub.

Now I am all kinds of hungry.

Serena and I are working on coming up with being each other’s diet sponsors. I am going to write up a spreadsheet, and we will have to check in with one another on how much we ate and how much exercise we did. It might be fun since there is a hint of competition involved, and spreadsheets, which we all know I love. We are starting probably next week, since she goes out of town tonight. But I think I will start on Monday with my bike riding again. Yes, I will miss those extra 30 minutes of sleep, but I need to just go to bed earlier, not give up the exercise. Either that, or exercise when I get home from work. I am going to make this work!!

Sure enough, the day is slow. Not the best way to make it go by at a good pace.

Dax and I went looking for boots for him last night. The ones he has are dying quick, and really, he isn’t a tennis shoe kind of boy. They have some real rugged sturdy ones at Payless, but they are tie shoes. Ok, yes, he is going to have to deal with that eventually, but I am thinking a 2 year old that runs as much as he does, shouldn’t have laced up shoes. Then again, they are some good boots. Then again, it is almost summer, and he will probably wear his sandals more than anything. I didn’t get them, but it is good to know they have them. I am thinking in the fall I will hit up Target again to see about some of the Velcro ones. I may get him some of the pseudo vans at Payless since they will be ones he can get on and off easy. He can work the tennies he has now, but you know me, always looking to offset the struggle.

My plan is to take the boys to the zoo on the 27th, so I will be curious how that goes. Big public place, just me and them. I know, people do it all the time, but not people as paranoid as me. I am going to go when the place opens so hopefully it won’t be too crowded. Plus, I am packing a lunch, so no issues there. I figure we can go for a couple hours, and then they can nap on the way home. I don’t know why it is such a big deal. I can bring my walk chain (it is our attempt to make Maria’s walking rope that is for like 8 kids) so in crowds we are ok. I will have just the one backpack for our stuff, so really, I think we will be fine.

I want to take them back out to that place in Pasadena. I should look up their schedule to see if they have another one of those Friday night events coming up.

Yay, some work finally rolled across my desk. I think I will save it for after lunch.

No comments: