Thursday, June 2, 2011

Boot of Shame

6-2-11




Well, I guess I needed adventures yesterday.



I was rockin my awesome new wedges that I love. They are so comfy, I feel like I could almost run in them. This doesn’t do me much good when apparently I cannot walk in them. It’s funny, since I was actually being super careful on my way to the car. Something told me that I needed to watch where I walked. Too bad I didn’t listen.



There is a shallow rain gutter in the middle of my parking lot. I never walk through it, and took care to step over it. Apparently I didn’t clear all of it, or there was something more slippery on the other side. I don’t actually know. All I know is that my right ankle and leg took off in one direction while the rest of my body went straight down. And it was a forceful fall. I suppose when you are 6 inches higher than normal, that is a lot of time to pick up speed.



My left knee hit hard. As the rest of my body crumpled, my natural airbags deployed and my left boob was smashed into the ground. My hands broke the rest of the fall, keeping my face from contact.



I lay there for a moment, sure that I was about to be helped up by the warehouse guys. Thankfully, I was on my own. They didn’t see it happen. I don’t know how they could have since I think I went down at the speed of light.



I was a little concerned that I would not be able to get back up. My ankle was throbbing and my knee was on fire. Plus, I still had to get up on the stilts I was wearing. I was also trying to stay composed since if someone was in route to help me up, I didn’t want to be a blubbering mess.



I managed to get to the car and out of the lot. I whimpered a lot the whole way home since it turns out my injury made driving difficult. Pushing on the gas/brake hurt like hell.



I changed my shoes and went to get Dax. He had a dentist appt that we would be heading out to as soon as we got Bobby and Ken.



At the dentist, I found myself standing during the appt. I was helping Bobby with homework while Dax was Mr super awesome brave boy on his first dental cleaning. I am glad I brought Bolt with us.



We got home and by this time I was in gobs of pain. Yet I still set out to work on making dinner.



Mind you, during all of this, the boys and even Ken to some degree did not think much of it. Hell, I didn’t, either. I hurt myself on a pretty regular basis, so why bother with freaking out. The boys didn’t ask if I broke myself. They asked if the cement I fell on was ok. Nice.



I hobbled around, making dinner and occasionally having to sit down because I felt faint from pain. We all sat down to eat dinner, and I was still functional.



Finally, I sat down on the recliner and iced my ankle. Ken noted how swollen it was. I rested and iced for about an hour. By this time the boys were bathing and getting ready for bed. In fact, I didn’t move again until 7, which is when I kissed the boys goodnight and Ken went to read to them.



I wanted milk, and I wanted to go sit at the computer to play one of the games before bedtime. I lowered my foot and went to stand. Oh, crap. I can’t put any weight on my right side.



After a few minutes of pain and a little panic, Ken said it was time to go to Urgent Care. The boys quickly put on shoes and socks, gathered some books and we headed out the door.



Thank goodness the urgent care was quiet. It actually didn’t take long at all. Ken was able to get me a wheelchair so I was wheeled to X-Ray. The guy in there was awesome, complete with an R2D2 ring tone. I was not as fond of the doc, but in all fairness it was at the end of his shift and he looked tired.



The x-rays showed no break. However, there is a lot of bruising. He decided it would best if I wore the soft boot. When I heard soft boot, I assumed some kind of ace bandage thing. Nope. It is the full on robo boot that is heavy. Thankfully, though, it really helps. I can feel that it supports the hell out of my ankle. The crutches that accompanied it are not as cool, but I have used them for some balance.



We got home and I crawled into bed. Ok, that makes it sound like it was easy. It was anything but. I was babying my right ankle and didn’t consider that crawling up into the bed, using my left knee to pull myself up would be a super bad idea. My left knee yelled and screamed and threatened to leave me if I attempted anything like that again. I was left crumpled on the bed, unable to function.



Turns out it is considerably easier to drive using your right foot. I took the van this morning. It has way more room so that I could put my right robot foot in the center. I then used my left foot for the gas. I felt like I was driving side saddle.



Tomorrow I will not have access to the van, so I think I will need to stay home. This being said, I will need to pick up Bobby at some point. In fact, early tomorrow. We will have to figure that out. I suppose I can use an ace bandage to pick him up.



I am now needing to fill out an incident report at work. Bleah. Not fun. Especially since it has stuff like, “how can you prevent this accident in the future”? I put, “be more careful”. LOL!!

No comments: