Monday, June 13, 2011

It's My Birthday!

6-13-11




3 day weekends should be mandatory.



My Friday was wonderful, even though the boys were wild. Dax and I took Bobby to school, and then headed straight over to the auditorium to get seats for Bobby’s performance. We got 3 seats in the front. One seat for me, one for Dax, and one for the tripod.



Turned out, the other 3 classes of Kindergarten had their performance at 8:30. We opted to go ahead and watch that, too, since it would still be cute. Plus, Dax and Bobby’s friend from Maria’s would be a part of it, and Dax was happy to see him.



It was quick, maybe 15 minutes total. Dax played Angry Birds on iTty most of the time, and was shockingly content sitting for as long as we did. It may explain his antsy later on during the day.



Bobby’s class and his sister class came in at 9:30. It was a 15 minute program. I loved every minute. The kids did great. Songs and poems were recited, with lots of the fun hand movements and dancing.



Bobby was pretty sedate, and I could tell it was nerves based. He looked terrified. It didn’t help that his part was practically the last thing done. He had to sit through 13 minutes of other stuff before he could get his part done with.



He went up to the microphone and delivered his lines. He did it perfect. He then practically sprinted back to his place. He kept it together up until a good 10 minutes after the performance was done and he and the other kids were allowed to go greet their parents. He burst into tears in my side. Poor baby was just overwhelmed with the whole thing. Luckily, he had lots of people tell him he did fantastic and he was able to calm down after a bit.



We left the school a little after 10. This was significantly sooner than I expected. It wasn’t a big deal. We headed down to Del Amo to the Build a Bear. The boys picked out helmets, knee and elbow pads, and skateboards for Logan and Carver for their birthdays. BAB rocks for all of their coupons All of the items I got cost a total of $20. Totally reasonable especially considering the happiness it brought to the boys.



Our adventures took us to Chick-fil-A for a snack, and then over to Target to wander before our lunch date at 1. We met Stephanie and Sabrina at Taxco in RPV for lunch. It was super entertaining because of the conversation. We ranged from muscles in the body, including Dax declaring there are muscles in his penis, to discussing Jesus the bad Romans who killed him, to Sabrina using French and also announcing how she was not getting married. These kids were fantastic. It was like a comedy show!



After lunch, we headed to the theatre to get tickets for Kung Fu Panda. Since we had some time to kill, we were able to go to the Goodwill next door. Stephanie had found some amazing items recently from there, so we hoped to repeat the experience. We were way successful. I found robes for the boys that were perfect. Stephanie found a perfect blue jacket that looked amazing on her. She found a bunch of other awesome things. Bobby played the role of personal shopper for her, pointing out wonderful fabrics and styles. I have trained him well. Dax and Sabrina ran around in their own world.



Kung Fu Panda was great! I am not convinced it was better than the first, but it was solid and I look forward to multiple viewings once we have it on DVD. Dax was fidgety in the theatre. He really never has been much of a movie theater kid. But he did laugh hysterically during several parts, so that was good.



After the movie, the boys and I headed home where we picked up Ken. We still needed to get cat food lest we end up killed in our sleep. We headed to Petco since they were close to our bank and they have these giant bag of our cat litter.



We wandered the store, as we often do, checking out everything including the other critters since the boys love looking at them. We were in the reptile area where there was a sweet ball python. He was very handsome (mind you, I have no idea what the sex of this critter is, but for some reason, he was male in my head) and when I spoke to him, he actually raised his head up to look at me. I felt all Harry Potter and not so secretly wished that I actually spoke Parseltongue.



I didn’t get to spend much time with him at first, since I was herding my wild boys. The snake happened to be on sale by quite a bit. Ken asked to open his tank to take a look at him. Man, he was so freaking awesome. He seemed pretty happy to be held. It was especially amusing since both employees helping us did not want to do the touching, having Ken do that part. The boys fell deeply in love with him, as did I. Ken then announced this would be my birthday present. Woo hoo!!



We purchased the supplies needed for him, and along with items for all the animals in our house (bones for dogs, food for cats, food for rats), we left Petco with a damn lot of stuff, including our newest family member.



On the way home, we discussed his name. I had considered some epic awesome names, but I pointed out to Ken that I was thinking perhaps he needed something super simple. The name in my head was Hal. Ken responded to my idea of a simple name with the sentence, “So something like, Hal?” I almost died. Our unagi is awesome. He has been dubbed Hal. I think his middle name will be Unagi.



I explained to Raticus and Remy to not be disturbed at their downstairs neighbor. They didn’t seem to care since they were busy shoving food in their cheeks.



Saturday was my birthday. Ken made me breakfast at desk. His plan was to make it and serve it to me in bed, but the early riser that I am kind of screwed up that plan. LOL!



We went to lunch with my parents, Matt and Papa Brenan. I decided on Leo’s, this little Mexican food place down the street from them, which has been there my whole life. It used to be up the street a bit, but it was still there. I know I have been there, but it has been years and years. I can see why now! LOL! Ok, it wasn’t gross, but it wasn’t fab, either. My favorite Mexican food joints do NOT need to be worried or jealous.



We went back to the house for cake, and that was a lot of fun. Ken and the dads discussed random stuff like phone service, etc, while the boys and my mom played in their room. I floated back and forth.



Since Papa Brenan was heading back up North, we took him back to our place for a bit so he could look at the roof with Ken to get an idea for what would be needed for August. I am telling you, we were not home for more than 3 seconds when NB was at our house. He was freaking out, wondering where we were all day. I pointed out that their grandfather was there and they could not play. Yet somehow, this kid was now in my house.



I let them play for a few minutes while Ken and Papa Brenan were outside. I told NB that he would have to leave when they came back inside. I spent that 10 minutes doing a rush clean up job on our very chaotic house.



We hung out in the yard, while the kids entertained their grandpa. We also had the kittens out, and they were playing a lot. It was also the first time they didn’t just scream at me. LOL!



After Papa Brenan left, we ran over to pick up some hair color and Chinese food. Yum! The food, not the dye. LOL!



Sunday the plan had been to go see the screening of the Incredibles at Mann’s Chinese Theatre. It was part of this LA Times film festival. It was free, and we had registered for it, but it was no guarantee that we would get in. Based on how wild the boys had been all weekend, I didn’t think us sitting in line for 3 hours and then watch a movie would be a good plan. I am glad we didn’t go. We were able to sleep in for one thing! LOL!



We did kind of keep the boys cooped up for a bit, since we went to Target and Costco, but they didn’t mind. They got a smoothie from Costco, so it makes everything better. Plus, they picked out cards for me at Target.



Bobby also got to purchase something for me. He had his wallet and he had $2 in there. He looked around for stuff for me (I wasn’t there, I was off picking out clothing), and he ended up finding a butterfly that goes in a garden. It was $6. Ken let him have $4 so that he could count it all out and determine what he needed. It was a great lesson, and I think he was very proud!



We got home and the boys went in the pool and played with NB for a while. I on the other hand got to make lasagna! YAY!



Dax’s class has a potluck tomorrow after their little program, and I made a small lasagna for that. I also made a huge one for home. I wanted left overs. I also just like making it. I feel all accomplished. Especially when it turns out as well as it did this time.



Ken colored my hair while the boys took a bath. It was a crowded bathroom. But it was cool. Especially since my hair looks awesome!



Ken was just on the radio! LOL! He called in about the topic of “you knew the wedding was a mistake while you were walking down the aisle”. He called about Beth. LOL!!!!

No comments: