Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sucess Story

9-5-12


I think today is a little less stressful.

Yesterday just seemed chaotic. Aside from being fairly busy at work, I had an afternoon of activity. Homework went better than expected, which is always such a happy note. I utilized some of the lessons Bobby is using in class in a more practical fashion. He is learning about letter writing and using the address and proper headers. So I had him address an envelope. He also had to put his own address for the return address. It was much easier to understand why we needed to know how to write it when putting it on the actual document that would need the data. I told him today we would also write a proper letter to mail in the envelope. I will have him turn those in with his homework with the note asking for it back so he can actually mail it, too. He seemed pleased with this.



After homework I headed out to my endocrinology appointment. I had wanted to ride my bike, but we determined it would best if I didn’t only so I could get to practice as quickly as possible. No matter as I did great. She even used the words “success story”. I was pleased! She said all my numbers are in the green zone and she is quite thrilled with my progress. I go for a recheck in 6 months, at which time I will also be checking my cholesterol, which is good, since I want to see how that is coming along.



I got to practice even before it started, which was good since Ken was in the midst of lining the fields again. It is such a strange idea having a team who is actually not only showing up on time, but early. It was a nice change since Spring League.

I was frustrated at practice, though. Ken and I have different ideas on how we coach. The problem lies in the fact that I will set up a drill, and I feel like he then changes it all in front of the kids, which makes me feel like I am being undermined as an authority figure. It probably doesn’t help that I have in my head how I used to play, and he has in his head all of the recent training he has. Both are legitimate history, but sadly they need to be worked out before we get to the field.



Mind you, the practice went very well. We worked on some general training in the form of sprints and lots of dribbling. We then went over position placement. It will hopefully help in the game on Saturday.

Sadly, Dax threw one of his Diva style tantrums.



Sigh.

We were having the kids do the defensive line for a bit, then change and do the offensive line. It was not suggesting that they had to only play one position, but it was more just to let them all know placement. Dax is truly a sweeper. He runs the whole field. It is a position I know well. I was a halfback my whole soccer life. I didn’t like to only be forward or back. I wanted to be a part of everything. Right now, though, we are simply showing them the other lines just so they all know where they should play.



I switched my defensive line and offensive line so they had turns at both. This moved Dax from a striker position to a defender. He flipped out.

He said he didn’t want to play defense. Mostly he wanted to be able to score a goal, which means you need to be up front. He started arguing, and I had told him up front that I would not tolerate this behavior. So I took him off field and went back to practice. He was screaming out my name and went I went back to him, I told him that if he pulls this crap on Saturday, I would pull him from the game and he would not play the rest of the game. I would have one of my parents take him to the car. I don’t know if he will get like this, but I so hope he doesn’t. It is draining.



I spent a great deal of the afternoon and evening also working on treasurer duties. I started playing with Quicken and the AYSO books and determined that I could simply add some more wording to the categories which would allow a reporting feature to be easier to read. This is good since I can bring it on Thursday night to the big meeting. I will probably make this a normal feature.

When the boys went into bed last night, it was very cute that the kittens actually came in with us without any coaxing. They knew it was bed time and came in on their own when their boys were going to bed. Yay!



Luna has finally figured out that sleeping at the foot of the bed is awesome. And for the first night I finally managed to not step on her when crawling out of bed. Both she and I are happy with this arrangement.

I am on my own much of this afternoon. Ken has his crazy busy day today. This means I need to get the boys done with homework, make dinner, and hopefully straighten up the house a bit. It is a little chaotic right now because of banner creation. However, I think there are plenty of things I can do to make it less stressful on me for the next couple days.

I wish I could take a day to just spend with Dax doing whatever he wanted to do. He has been stressing lots. He didn’t want to go to school yesterday. He was nervous about his hair. He was fine of course once he settled in, but I know he was worried all day long that someone would make fun of him. It is almost as though he is truly just upset about not being special. I don’t know what it is, but I feel like I need to spend some one on one time with him to figure him out.



Apparently our game on Saturday is not at 3, but at 10:30. I was way off. I am actually ok with this, since an early game is better overall. Sadly, it does seem to mess up much of the day, though.

I think I am ready for another 3 day weekend!

No comments: