Friday, October 30, 2009

Rules for Halloween

A note to my fellow trick or treaters this year:


Halloween is a wonderful time of year where families and neighborhoods come together and truly become a community. Ken and I have always loved handing out candy, even before we had kids. We usually buy gobs of candy, priding ourselves in handing out the most candy in our neighborhood. Having been at our house for 10 years, I thought that I should give some simple tips and rules for the folks converging into our block this year in order to make the most our the holiday.

Please remember that if you are over the age of 10, that there are little kids also sharing the joy of this holiday with you. Don’t bowl them over for that one tootsie roll. This isn’t a hockey game where you need to check all kids that might get in your way. Be polite and patient. Trust me, there is still plenty of candy out there for you.

Kids, embrace your costume. I understand the 5 year olds might be a hint shy when it comes to wanting to tell the stranger with candy what they are. Shoot, they have been told to avoid this scenario 100 times and this is the one time of year in which we encourage it. But all of you children old enough to know why you chose to be the red power ranger instead of the blue one, please wear it proud. And when I ask you what you are, tell me. I love seeing you all dressed up, and honestly, I will give you more candy when you proudly dance up in your princess garb and announce you are Cinderella. Oh, and Cinderella, if you are only wearing one glass slipper, I will probably give you all the candy.

There are rules for how to get candy. They are not difficult, and easy to follow for anyone who can talk. You must say Trick Or Treat. Don’t just hold out your bag while getting ready to sprint to the next stop. And would it kill you to say Thank you?

Parents-look, I am all for taking your kids out, no matter how old they are. It is especially fun when you have an older kid able to partake in the holiday fun and an infant in your arms lovingly dressed at some kind of fuzzy bug. But please don’t come up to me and shove your plastic jack-o-lantern in my face and have the gall to tell me “This one is for the baby.” I am pretty sure your 2 month old isn’t going to enjoy the Smarties candy.

Teens-yes, please, come out and enjoy the candy. I know I went Trick Or Treating at 15. But I also know that I took the time to actually dress up. And by dressing up, I mean I was in full costume. Not a Scream mask and a pillow case. Not just wearing your football uniform. Not just a t-shirt that says “This is my costume”. Put some effort into it or I can guarantee, there will be no candy coming from my house.

Please just remember this is a holiday of fun and kids. Sure there is candy, more than most mothers would be comfortable with kids being in possession of. But the candy is just one element of what makes a wonderful night. Enjoy your kids, enjoy the costumes, and most of all, enjoy the night.

No comments: