Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dreading 2 o'clock

12-1-09

It is a good thing I went to bed at 8. I was tired! I got some pretty good sleep overall I would say. I ended up having some random dream about my brother going crazy and hiding out like a hermit on a neighbor’s roof. That was freaky. I also determined that Monarch really missed us when he kept leaning against my head while I slept.

Luna was up at some point last night, barking her head off. It was uncool. I think she was barking at Ittles, who has taken it upon herself to tease the puppy. She thinks it is great fun.

My H1N1 shot has been postponed. Apparently my work didn’t get their shipment of the vaccines. Not a huge deal. They will do it as soon as they get them. It just means I don’t have to bother with it today. Probably a good thing.

I have a stupid meeting at 2 today. I really am not looking forward to it. I need to print out a bunch of paperwork for it and I know that since my boss is an idiot, whenever the customer asks questions, I am going to be the one who has to answer them.

The new Nano has a radio pause button. OMG. I so need one!! It is like Tivo for your radio!

The boys decided to dress up yesterday afternoon as Transformers.

We had a birthday for JoJo, Dax’s bear. I happened across his birth certificate recently, and saw that he turned 2 yesterday. I happened to have baked a cake on Sunday, so I cut off some of it, wrote JoJo on it and put a couple of candles on it, and voila! We have an instant birthday party. It was good, and the boys had fun.

I love that Luna does this little proud march when she does a command right.

Lycos has started to really decide she wants to be dominant with Luna. She even does the phantom mounting. She never really gets on top of Luna, but she goes through the motion near her. I don’t know why it is creepy, but for some reason it is. She looks like some freaky stalker. Luna is very respectful when Lycos does these things. She sits calmly, lets Lycos smell her whole body and specifically put her eye up to Luna’s eye. I make sure to pet Luna to tell her it is ok. Once this weird slow motion dance is done, Luna goes back to excited groupie and jumps all over Lycos. It is a strange dynamic.

I have decided I really like my straightener. I used it again on my bangs this morning, and wow, what a difference. Especially when it takes all of 5 minutes.

I watched a very interesting, albeit, depressing documentary yesterday. It was on Section 60 of Arlington. It is the section apparently where all military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan are eligible to be laid to rest. The film basically showed different people visiting graves. Mostly mothers and wives were there, but the occasional father, brother, even one brother in law, which was quite touching. Some brought pictures. Some just came to sing happy birthday. One man brought a giant flag, a riffle, combat boots and some booze. He set all of this down on grave, then sat down in a lawn chair with a big quilt, and said he was going to sit there all day. It was sweet.

What really killed me was the kids. One woman with a child who couldn’t be more than 8 months, walked up to a grave as she told the infant, “Look, there’s your daddy”. I was crying a lot. One little girl, maybe 6, was with I think her grandmother. They were visiting the girl’s uncle. Grandma asks the little girl, “What did you always tell you Uncle if he joined the military?” “That he would get killed.” “And what happened to him?” “He got killed.” It was heartbreaking.

Seriously, all I could think was, no one with little kids should be allowed in the military. How could they do this to these babies?

It was particularly touching to see the camaraderie between all of the widows and families. I really liked that several of the people there knew each other from previous visits.

The saddest, yet funniest part was this one school group. It looked like a class of freshman who had as a school project, made a giant memorial ribbon out of material that was then cut to be a giant jigsaw puzzle. The assignment was for them each to place a piece of the ribbon puzzle on a soldier’s grave site. So the class sets out, each looking for the grave of the soldier they had chosen. This one girl, who didn’t look like she even wanted to be there, finds that the mom of the soldier she had chosen was at the grave. So the girl asked the mom about her son. The girl looked like she asked only because she had been told to off camera. The mom then proceeded to go into this sweet, teary memory of her 18 year old son. The girl looked visibly uncomfortable, and annoyed at the same time. The mom, who composed herself, then looks at the girl and says, “Boy, this isn’t what you signed up for, is it?” I laughed out loud. The mom, just a total sweetie, was clearly understanding of this young girl’s indifference and didn’t hold it against her. It was sad because the girl really seemed unmoved by the circumstances of this guy’s death. But at the same time, it was impressive that the mom was so stoic and didn’t let this girl’s ignorance effect her.

Too many of these widows were in their 20’s.

Too many of these widows had babies.

Too many of these soldiers couldn’t even drink legally.

Really, there were just too many graves.

Look, I didn’t set out to sit and watch depressing. I actually was going to watch 90210, but the one from last week was a repeat.

I need to get down the Christmas stuff. It is December 1st, and I don’t have anything up!!

Mmmm…someone brought in toast and cream cheese! Yum!

It is another month, which means that the parking lot saga continues. The list was sent out again of who can park in this one lot in December. I am looking out at it, and it is 8:45, and only one person is parked there, ironically enough someone not supposed to but he is using someone else’s spot to be able to park there. I give it 2 days and they will change this whole policy.

On the plus side, I just got super busy. On the not so plus side, I got super busy. LOL!

Ok, at 10 am, when all employees should be here, I see in the parking lot only 3 cars for a lot designed for like 12. Yay!

I am thinking that since we are doing cookie making at my mom’s on Saturday the 12th that maybe I will leave the boys with her in the afternoon for a smidge while I duck out and do the Christmas shopping for them. I know that Grammie is coming, too, so not sure on those logistics, but I bet we can figure it out.

I think I want to go see Christmas lights this year, too. I am thinking the 20th. Anyone want to come?

What a hectic day! Yet it feels like it is still going slow. I think it is the anticipation of dealing with this meeting at 2. It sounds like a big annoying phone call.

I have the damn Mickey Mouse Clubhouse song stuck in my head. The boys don’t even really watch it, but since They Might Be Giants does the song, it is on one of their CD’s. That and some Hot Dog song, which Dax enjoys singing. They are both incredibly catchy, and being that I don’t know more than a few of the words, they are super annoying. I may need to turn on some music.

No comments: