Thursday, May 13, 2010

I wish I was better at titles

5-13-10

I need a nap.

I ended up sitting on my ass mostly yesterday when I got home from work. Ken did bring down from boxes for me so I could just sit and throw away things. I went through 6 boxes, condensed it down to one box of keep (still with gobs of room), 2 boxes of yard sale, and a lot of trash. Woo hoo! The boys helped since a couple of boxes were old toys. A few items got a stay of execution. Dax snagged a Diego doll and a couple other items. Bobby was excited to get Ken’s Mechs from his Battle Tech days.

I love going through the old stuff. I found some old pictures, high school folders with scribbles on them. Those are always the most entertaining. Random relationships announced in sharpie (Brandy loves David, Angela love Scott) and quotes from our youth in ball point pen. I did toss the folder. I know, how crazy, but in reality, it was not something I needed to save. If I saved every high school memento, I would need another house. Instead, I have been saving smaller things that I can put into one box.

I also came across my 1986 time capsule. I made this in school. It has since become a box full of more than just 1986 stuff, but there were still some remaining items from the original intent. There were garbage pail kids and a newspaper from when the Dodger won the World Series. There was also a TV Guide from May of 1986, which was fun since it had a spotlight on a little show called the Golden Girls, which seems amusingly timely being that Betty White just hosted SNL this last week.

I found the note Ken wrote me in 1993 where he told me he had missed me. I also found the note he wrote me when he had to leave work early to go work on some project with Aaron and that Jenni would drive me home. I also found the “shoulder” he left me to cry on.

I sorted through several ducks, giving a shocking amount to the boys to use in bath time fun. I also added to my yard sale pile my Aladdin and Jasmine doll and several toys and books that I am proud to have rid myself of.

We didn’t spend much time on these boxes. Really, 6 boxes poorly packed doesn’t take much time to condense. I am hoping to go through a few at a time so that I don’t end up with gobs of mess in my home. I expect some, though, since we need places to put these items which will end up on our lawn shortly.

I think that even though I wasn’t going to do this, I will have him bring down baby clothes tonight. Sure, I will pull some items that I would want to keep in case I had another child, but much of it can go to the lawn as well. If I ended up having another baby (fingers crossed here) I think I would probably get some newer clothing and hopefully some pink? Hee hee! Either way, there is a ton of stuff up there from several generous donations from people in the efforts to clothe my boys that can be sold at low low prices in the front of my house.

When I pulled up to the house yesterday, Ken said he knew I had arrived because Monarch, upside down on the cat tree, started chirping at the sight of my car. He said he was really cute in his excitement of my arrival. When I walked in, I was greeted by my giant tom cat who promptly stretched himself up to as tall as he could while reaching for my hand with his paws. Super cute on every level. My poor kitty is going to be so sad with me gone for a week!

We also worked on operation low light. The boys have used their little lamps as night lights for as long as I can remember. Although both are on dimmer switches and are as low as possible, they keep getting turned up and really, their rooms are anything but dark at night. In our box cleaning, I came across a wonderful duckie light I had forgotten about. It is practically a night light, just taller and cuter. So we replaced Dax’s lamp with this light. It makes him room way darker, but not scary dark.

With Bobby, I turned down his lamp again, which he was not thrilled about. But I gave him a glow stick, which I think will be our crutch for now. I want them to be ok in a darker room just because it isn’t always practical to have a room as lit as they have become accustomed to. They have clocks with the pseudo neon lights around them, but they light up the room like the Strip. Bobby has a little ladybug nightlight that doubles as a flashlight when you remove the bug from the leaf. It is pretty cool. But Bobby just does the “I am scared of monsters” crap, so it is tough to make him man up too much.

I may be taking Bobby to get his hair cut on Friday. Ken and I agreed that soccer will be harder to play with his bangs in his eyes. I mentioned this to Bobby and he said he was ok with getting it cut. I am thinking that we can run down to some place like Fantastic Sams before we go to the signups since we will have an hour to kill between going to my parents’ house and the signups at 6. I expect him to chicken out of course, but we will see how it goes.

Bobby needs to go back down to the doctor today for the doctor note for his TB test so that we can get it back to the school. I wonder if Ken will take him this morning. I need to find out since if he doesn’t, I may need to pick him and Dax up when I get home from work, rush down there, then rush back to the school to turn in the paperwork so that he gets his room assignment.

I have aspirations to write a piece about the controversy yesterday about this Newsweek columnist that wrote a piece about gay actors. He indicated that he felt it was more difficult to be believed as a gay guy playing straight than a straight guy playing gay. He sited his reasons and wondered if in today’s society it is harder to pull it off. His opinion was interesting. I didn’t agree with it fully, but I saw what he was saying. Either way, what was more upsetting was the hate this man got for an editorial piece. He even said it was an opinion and that obviously there have been actors who pull it off. But he points out that it might just be how much we know about actors now days. We know their entire life story, which makes it harder to see the character the actor is portraying. Look, Tom Cruise had a hard time with his image after he just jumped on a couch! So I understand his point of view.

The hate he got included an open letter from Kristen Chenowith (whom I actually adore) saying how offended she was that he would say these things about her co-stars. Look, as much as I don’t like people being homophobic, the guy who wrote this? He is gay! And open about it! He even said he might be wrong. Why the hate? Why not allow opinions? Of course, if I am ok with his opinion, I have to be ok with Kristen’s. That being said, she was angry and mis understood the point of the article he wrote. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate for her to have emailed the guy direct (his email is all over Newsweek) to have a talk? Maybe clear up things first? An letter published on Perez Hilton seems counter productive.

I have a lot of thoughts about this, but I think right now I don’t have enough thought to formulate a proper piece. Stay tuned!

I have been thinking about changing Dax from his 5 point harness seat over to just using the seat as a booster seat. Up until just now, I had been under the assumption that he was not allowed to use a booster seat until he was 4. I had always heard that the rule was 4/40. He had to be 4 years of age and 40 pounds in order to move over to Booster status. Then the 6/60 rule is for getting out of boosters and ever being allowed to sit in the front seat. Dax, who certainly meets the 40 pound part (which I also had been told was the most important part of the equation), was not going to be able to ditch the 5 point harness until August. I can tell you, I have been counting down the days! Not only does he barely fit in it, it is just a bitch to do. Plus, I am now spoiled with Bobby doing his own buckle up part. Dax has been in a booster on several occasions when riding in other peoples’ cars. But in our own car, it has always been the 5 point. Not anymore! I think now that I have discovered that the law is on our side with this one, we are going to convert him over to big boy status! Woo hoo! This is great, too, since the seats are easier to remove in case I had multiple adults in my car instead of kids. I am very jazzed. I almost can’t wait to get home just for that aspect!

Hmmm…I am thinking that if I get Bobby’s hair cut I should just go down to one of the beauty colleges. They do just fine, and they are way cheaper.

I have been going over in my head what it is that I should wear to the big “breakfast” with the big boss. It is casual, but let’s face it, as much as I want to stay true to myself, I should probably not rock the pink hair piece that day. Yet I do want to have a little Gena flare. Any suggestions?

This seems to be one of those days in which I am rather bummed about being all by my lonesome over in my corner. The one good thing is that I can see out through my windows how incredibly beautiful it is out. I love winter because of rain, but I think that summer may still win as my favorite time of the year. Especially the beginning of summer. It isn’t so hot that you have to have fans on, but it is just pleasant out so you can sit in the sun and then have dinner in the yard as late at 8 because it is still so wonderful out. Yesterday I really missed my Mustang. I miss having the top down on days like these. It was awesome. I can tell what I will get once my soccer mom days are over.

One of the things we hope to find in the Great Attic Cleanout of 2010 is Granddaddy.

I think I need to harass Ken into making the skirt he was going to do. We have fabric and thread and all that jazz. We just need to do it! I know, it takes time, but maybe we need to not do the video games for a couple nights and hop to it. Dammit!

Maybe I need to take a class on how to sew? I could then do these things myself.

Ken has a birthday party on Sunday morning. I wonder if perhaps I will make sure he brings down gobs of boxes for me to sort through while he is gone. No offense to him, but he is a way worse hoarder than I am, so when he is not around, I can toss things easier. LOL! Sure, I am sure I have tossed things I regretted (I apparently tossed a Plex finger puppet and of course Dax started asking for it recently despite having not played with the thing for 6 months), but ultimately, I need to rid our lives of so much junk! If we chip away at it now, it will mean that if we can move in 5 years, there will be way less packing.

After having lived in our house for more than 10 years, I am fearful of moving only due to how much crap there is to move. Hopefully, when we find out dream home, it will have not only space for my ducks to be out of stuffy boxes, but that we will actually have some dead space because we have tossed all the useless stuff we have.

When Ken took Bobby with him a couple days ago, they were at Downtown Disney. Bobby had been so good the entire adventure, even with being stuck in traffic, Ken told him they could go on one ride in the park. Bobby chose Star Tours (not shocking). As they entered the park and headed over to their ride, Bobby kept stressing to Ken that Mommy wasn’t there. He was really upset that I wasn’t there. He then followed this with the fact that Dax wasn’t either. He was so bummed that his little family wasn’t all together. Ken said it was really cute. I love that he was upset. I am glad he got over it, too, since I am glad he and Ken got to go play. I am tempted to take Dax or Bobby by myself to the park one of these days. I like the idea of the bonding.

Ken has Bobby with him today. He did take him down to the doctor this morning and he told me that he will be keeping him for the day. I think Ken only has a couple of classes today, so this is cool. I know how much Bobby enjoys the classes.

Aaron never responded to my last email to him, but he has told Ken that he would like to go see Iron Man next week. I am way on board with them going out. I just hope he doesn’t flake on him. I will be curious if Aaron brings up the kid thing with Ken.

Oh my good god. This guy just called about a pricing discrepancy. No problem, sometimes we enter the wrong pricing code. So I ask him what invoice and what the amount was that he was off. He proceeds to tell me he was quoted $153.00 on this order. We charged him, wait for it, $153.60. No fucking joke. This man actually wasted my time over $.60. I told him to short pay it while I bit my tongue hard to not call him a fucktard.

Is it any wonder how our species as survived as long as we have?

I am so pleased to report that Bobby actually liked one of the Hamburger Helpers. I know, minor victory, but every time the boys like something I can make for everyone, I feel so happy. If only they would eat things like lasagna. I love that tonight is chicken and rice and I know they will eat that.

I am loving that more and more people are coming to me in my department to help them. I really feel like I am almost like their supervisor when they don’t want to work with the boss. Ideally in my head, I would like to be in charge of the collectors. They would report to me and I would report to the boss. It would split the dept into two groups. Collectors and Support. I would be in charge of collections. Maybe if our company keeps doing well we will be able to do that some day!

When I was a kid, I taught myself how to snap with my left hand because I was embarrassed to have to be the reindeer in the Christmas play. See the reindeer had little hooves on so the snapping part of the song would not have to happen with me. So I set out to snap. I spent days just snapping with my hand until finally I had mastered it. I now have a pretty good snap on that hand. It was proof that practice makes perfect. The problem is, I never learned on my right. Today I started practicing on my right. I have actually gotten a flew clocks out of it. It is hard to practice at work. My plan is also to show Bobby how to snap by using my method. I want to practice with him every day to show him the progress. Then, maybe he can learn to snap.

I also want to teach Bobby some reading skills so that when he enters school he has a head start. I am thinking of setting aside 30 minutes a night where he and I can work on stuff. He may get some of this at camp, but I think some one on one time would be good. Maybe not just reading, but some math and different things. I would like to teach Dax, too, but I think one on one with Bobby first is better.

Yay! It is almost noon. For some reason noon is my end of day happy dance. I guess it is because I only have a short amount of time left. So until tomorrow!

No comments: