Friday, May 27, 2011

Art Zone

5-27-11




I am mostly alone today at work. My coworkers on the other side of my cube wall are out today, and the next closest person isn’t here until 9:30. It means I can crank my radio with no one saying anything. Woo hoo!



I slept well last night. I had taken a half dose of NyQuil since I have been coughing a bit. It was the perfect amount since I don’t feel groggy this morning, and I actually feel rested.



It was an adventure of a day yesterday. I got the text indicating that I did in fact need to pick up Dax. So we rescheduled my dept meeting to happen before I had to leave and I ran out of here at 10.



I got to the school to get Dax. My intentions were to spend the day with him. Then Ken said we should come down to the Art Zone with them. I got there just as the class was walking from a local park. Bobby’s class was at the park while their sister kinder class played at the Art Zone, and now they were switching off.



Dax and I went in with the class and were amazed at how cool this place is.



It is a little workshop with tables set up for the kids to work with clay or goop. There were tables for painting or making necklaces. There was a giant sheet of paper for them to work on a mural. A room with a little house and gobs of costumes and stuffed animals ended up being their favorite room. There was also a room that was filled with toys and water and mud that allowed the kids to play in there without worry of getting the mess anywhere but there. It was a truly awesome place.



I got to truly interact with all of his class, which was incredibly wonderful. I took hundred of pictures. The girls all dressed like princesses and the boys dressed as firemen or lions, complete with roars. It was truly precious.



I was pleased that they all hung out with me. I mean, I know I see them every day, but I don’t get to play with them. It was nice. I figure I will watch these kids grow up, so I like seeing them at this stage of their lives.



Ken worked with the kids at the clay table. I love watching him with the kids.



The two other chaperones are sweet ladies. One is the mom of one of the boys. I just found out that it was her husband that passed away a couple months ago. At one point, something reminded her of him, and she broke down in tears. The other woman I believe is her sister, and she helped her out. It was very sad. I can’t imagine losing Ken so young and with the boys being so young.



We were at the Art Zone till about 1. It worked out well that I was there since I was able to load up my car with all of the art bags (the kids had bags to put all their projects in) so that they didn’t have to cram them in the bus. Dax and I then took them to the school.



Dax was pooped. He slept on the way to the school.



While Dax and I waited for Bobby to be excused from class (he and any kids who’s parents were there were allowed to go home pretty much right after they got back), Miss Lira saw Dax and I and she gave him a pirate pouch with these pretty plastic rocks. Pirate booty! He was thrilled. Dax was one of two kids who really dressed up for pirate day. He looks quite good as Captain Jack!



Dax requested the movie Hook due to him having watched some of it in class. So we watched Hook during dinner. Damn, that movie rocks. I have always loved it, but I have to say, it holds up well. I know it was not a critical favorite, but I have found it charming and funny. And now that I am a weepy ass mom, the scene where the children come home and their mother sees them, I broke down crying. The boys and Ken thankfully only laughed at me a little bit.



It seems later in the morning. It is much too bright in the office. Actually, the weather outside reminds me of the end of the school year. There is a tingly excitement in the air. I don’t know what it is that makes me so odd. Maybe it is my birthday coming up and the summer months with the pool or just the fact that this year it means Bobby is no longer in kindergarten. It is all so crazy and cool and sad and happy.



I am looking forward to this long weekend. I don’t have any huge plans, so this is nice. I am looking forward to playing with my kittens. I went in to visit with them last night and I have to tell you, there are very few things that are as happy making as seeing 5 tiny heads pop up to say hello to you. They love me!



In all fairness, there needs to be some playroom clean up. I discovered that the Art Zone takes costume donations, so I may be able to give some of the costumes we have that are way too small over to them. Happy making donation if you ask me!



Today is already dragging. Sigh. Let’s see if doing some work will speed the day up.

No comments: