Tuesday, May 17, 2011

fingers do not go in doors

5-17-11




It seems to be a down week. Yesterday’s sadness turned to panic when I got a phone call from Bobby’s teacher at 1:10. She informed me that Bobby was now complaining about his finger. When Ken had dropped them off at school in the morning, Bobby had got his hand stuck in the car door. This kind of thing makes me cringe. I hate the idea of this. In fact, it is one of those things I am super diligent about when I close any doors near the boys. I even had a mini lecture about door safety on Friday evening with them. But obviously, accidents happen.



Bobby had been upset, but he seemed ok. However, by afternoon, it was hurting. I rushed out of work and called Ken to run down to get him. I got home and Ken showed up with the kids a few minutes later. There was swelling. We all got in the car and headed down to the doc’s office.



We didn’t have to wait too long, but we were smart enough to bring along homework. Yes, we added insult to injury. Poor kid had to work on homework while we waited. Luckily, he was in good spirits. Plus, the injury is on his left hand, which allowed him to still write.



Doctor O’Brian agreed that it was good we brought him down. Little hands and bones are weird the way they work. She sent us down to X-Ray for Bobby to get scanned.



Thankfully, Ken was thinking. I know I was not. Ken determined he would go in with Bobby. He normally isn’t very assertive on something like this, allowing me to be all mommy comfort with the boys in times of medical issues. I was surprised, but didn’t really mind. Dax and I sat in the waiting room, while Dax played Memory on Ken’s phone.



As we headed back up to the doc, X-rays in hand, Ken pointed out I might not be allowed in there, and he gestured to a sign pointing out if you are a woman that is or might be expecting, please stay out. That’s right, my man was thinking! Woo hoo!



I foolishly let the boys use both my phone and iTouch to play Angry Birds. Man, that game is like crack to a kid. I took away my devices when we were leaving and I swear they got the shakes.



Dr. O’Brian said it was not a break. She said little kids often don’t complain about pain until it is unbearable. I can relate. When I broke my finger, and I wasn’t nearly as young as Bobby, I didn’t tell anyone for a good 4 hours. My finger was giant by then. I also almost passed out.



Needless to say, by the time I got home, I was wiped out.



I mustered up some energy, though, and worked on the living room a bit while Ken did some changes to the litter pan and pantry configuration. We are chipping away at problem areas of the house. Ken has cleaned out just about every cabinet in the kitchen. We are getting rid of tons of novelty glasses and dishes and appliances we just don’t use. It is making more room in the cupboards, which is nice.



One of our recent purchases was this Roku box that allows us access to our Netflix account in the bedroom. We have been able to watch more things in there, which is awesome because I don’t feel as bad going to bed at 7:30. One of the shows that Netflix decided to recommend was this Japanamation show called Girls Bravo.



Them Japanese folks are honked up.



First off, there is a whole lotta naked. Plus, one of the main characters, um, services a shit load of bananas. There is a perv who feels up every chick he comes in contact with. The two male characters get their asses beat several times an episode, resulting in images of them with severely bloodied noses and broken necks. And we are only on episode 3! It is so many levels of “what the fuck”, we are sucked into watching more. None of it makes sense, and yet it does.



Ken got me some kick ass Skull Candy headphones that I can use with my phone and iTty. I am all happy!



As much as I am not motivated, I feel work needs to happen.

No comments: