Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bananas and Golf

7-28-11


What an eventful afternoon!

I got home from a pretty mellow day at work, waiting for Ken and company to arrive home so we could go to our afternoon outing. I started looking through the kitchen for something to snack on. I noted the bananas on the counter which must have been purchased when Ken went to the store the day before. I have an irrational fear of the yellow devils, but I also knew that I should start trying things again as I am about to start this doctor monitored diet. I was guessing bananas were something that would be included in the “ok to eat” category. Still, I didn’t really want to eat it.

I updated my status on Facebook, indicating my interesting dilemma in my desire to try something I hated. Within minutes, I was amused to see comments from Brandy and Stephanie urging me to do it. Brandy even offered me $50 to eat a whole banana. I was challenged, and it wasn’t just from them. I felt I could do this, even if it made me hurl.

I grabbed the Flip camera, set it up on the tri-pod and prepared myself. I hit record as I choked down the vilest tasting thing I have had in a while. For 5 minutes while on camera, I ate, and gagged, I laughed, I cried, I yelled, and I finally managed to consume the entire thing. I then posted the video to Facebook.

During this time, there was also numerous side conversations about gagging on bananas and jokes were flying. It was awesome to see people from all circles of my life interacting, mind you laughing hysterically at their mutual idiot friend.

The video took some time to upload, and was not done by the time everyone got home and we headed out to Mulligan’s for some miniature golf.

Golf was a lot of fun. The boys are just old enough now to really enjoy the fun and I think the outing was good entertainment for Daniel. I worry we are a boring family since we mostly just chill at home. But thankfully this week Ken was able to take him to see the screening of “The Captains” at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery and tonight I secured screening tickets for them to go see Cowboys and Aliens. Yes, Ken and I are seeing it tomorrow, too, but how often do we have our nephew in town?

Bobby managed to get two holes in one in a row. I was so proud! He did quite well. Even Dax did pretty good. I got one hole in one after launching my ball into the castle. We had a lot of fun. It was pretty busy, but thankfully the group behind us was incredibly polite and nice.

Mulligans is looking to be a fun new destination for us. The boys are old enough to do quite a few things there now, so we will have to go back. There is a rock climbing wall and paddle boats, and even the race cars can be something we do. I am excited!

During this time, my video must have uploaded. I got the alerts on my phone that indicated both Brandy and Stephanie had viewed my pain. Only at this point did it occur to me that I just uploaded a video of myself eating a banana on a social networking site. I really hope I don’t get a call from Tosh in a week.

Daniel seems to be warming up to us. He is rather quiet. Thankfully, we seem to have been able to get him to laugh, and he even talked a bit with me last night when he and I went to go get dinner. He is a good kid and I am quite glad he was able to come out.

Tonight, with Ken and Daniel going to the movie, the boys and I have decided to movie in bed! We are going to get in our jammies after an early bath and we are going to then crawl into Ken and my bed and watch Toy Story 3 in there. It was their choice on the movie, and it is cool since our bed is super cozy and we have the nice tv in there. Should be a sweet night!

It sounds like Papa Brenan will also be staying this weekend to help out for prep for the roof. It means I need to make sure that this afternoon when I get home the house is still in decent order.

Tomorrow, the boys are spending the night at my folks’ house, and Daniel and Papa Brenan are going to a movie. It makes me feel much better about date night since I really did not want to reschedule. I think there may be a bit of chaos since it is the last day of camp, so they have to load up. Hopefully they will get most of it done since they have a lot of helpers. Either way, it should be ok since the movie doesn’t start until 7:15 and we have assigned seats. Even if we don’t get to dinner until 5:30, we have time. I think my plan will be to go get the boys when I am done with work so they are out of Ken’s hair. It means tonight I will pack their overnight bags.

As I mentioned before, I am soon to be on a doctor monitored diet. I got the referral information yesterday. I have an orientation I think next week which tells me about this low calorie/fasting diet I will be on. My understanding is that I will have weekly meetings and they will monitor me to make sure I am healthy. It’s like going on one of those expensive diets, but it is insurance covered! Yay! I also have a class I am going to in a couple weeks for cholesterol reducing tips. Should be interesting all around. I am kind of jazzed. I also have to call my doc back to schedule an ultrasound for my liver. It is a month of getting Gena healthy! Yes, I realize that it isn’t just a month, but it is my start to a better life.

No comments: