Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Caylee

7-6-11




I am saddened that Casey Anthony will probably walk free tomorrow. Based on what I could see, it looked pretty clear that she killed that sweet baby. I do not fault the jury, though. They were dealing with a capital punishment case. Their decision meant life or death for a person, and if they sent an innocent woman to die, that would lie on their conscience forever. A jury’s instructions say you need to look at reasonable doubt. When a case is presented with no cause of death, I would imagine it would warrant that doubt, even if they all believe that she killed her daughter.



I wasn’t in that courtroom. Not many people can truly know what it is like to be part of such a monumental case. There is press, there are horrid images of skeletal remains of a 2 year old little girl, and the gravity of knowing that you hold the power to end a life. It almost should not be a jury trial. This crime has now extended into the lives of 12 other people.



I am outraged, I suppose, but I am trying to be objective. I think it is hard for most people to believe that someone would do that to their own child. It doesn’t matter that case after case has shown moms to have done unspeakable things to their offspring. It is so horrendous that we stick our heads in the sand with our fingers in our ears and sing out “la la la la la la la!”



Motive is what they say also played a big part in this. The prosecution simply tried to explain this as party girl disposing of something holding her back. I would venture a guess that this just sounds implausible on so many levels. She had grandparents who would have loved to watch her and a jury could possibly look at that as a way to turn on blinders. Mind you, they probably had help in the form of a possibly flimsy prosecution along with a defense that placed that seed of doubt.



The searches, the smell in her trunk, and so many other aspects seem slam dunk, but even in all that I read, it sounds like the defense had an answer to all of them.



I actually feel sorry for defense attorneys. I wonder how often they know they are defending a guilty person and have to do this amazing dance to let a killer go.



It makes me sad to look at those pictures of Caylee. She was adorable.



I am guessing that no matter what, Casey will not last long. I could see someone taking her out. There are a lot of angry people out there.

No comments: