Wednesday, February 22, 2012

internal growl

2-22-12




I don’t like it when I can’t put my finger on it. I feel anxious and frustrated and angry for no real reason. Yes, I have plenty of things to ‘stress’ about, but even when I go over the list in my head I stop and think, well, that isn’t so bad.



I got annoyed at a police officer this morning. They had cop cars in an intersection on my way to work, clearly there because the lights were out. The officers didn’t want to be there. They didn’t even get out of their cars to direct traffic. When you approached the intersection, you didn’t know what they wanted of you. Yet I watched them glare at several motorists, who were simply trying to figure out what was allowed. I know I am out of sorts when something so trivial annoys the shit out of me.


Some of this pent up energy could be Bobby induced. Once again, he came home from school yesterday on a red card. He was chatter boxing in class, which drove poor Mrs. Kelly to have to talk to Ken yesterday. Not only did Bobby screw up in class, he forgot his homework packet, again. I was not happy.

Luckily, I was able to have him do a couple of book reports, since I know that those will have to be done. However, we needed a punishment. We have a list of 1st grade words (about 100) and we told him he would have to write them all. The other punishment would be that he could not go to my parents’ house with Dax and I and that he would go with Ken to his class, sit in another room, and work on these words. He seemed ok with this.



Something didn’t sit right with me about his compliance. I didn’t want to let him go to Ken’s class. I don’t know what it was. I thought maybe it was just because I didn’t want to punish my mom on not being able to see him. So I asked Ken if we could have him just work on the words before Dax and I were leaving, and if he didn’t finish, he would have to finish them at my folks’. Bobby did not like this. Turns out, he was more worried about my parents giving him shit for being on red. Yeah, I took him to my folks’. Yeah, I told them and you can be assured, my dad did rib him quite a bit, which upset Bobby greatly. Sometimes you have to make punishment up as you go.

The other big punishment, which I didn’t expect to be so powerful, was that while at their house, he would not be allowed his standard bag of cookies and cup of juice my mom gives them. He was devastated. Turned out he was in agony over this. He tried to butter up my mom, but luckily she didn’t fall for it.



The evening felt crazed. There was laundry to put away, sheets to change and showers to be taken. The work day was one of frustration and aggravation which really left me drained. I was happy to watch some HIMYM before bed.



I have this strange desire to give up something for Lent. I know I am not Catholic, but the idea of sacrifice sounds interesting. Of course, it needs to be something starting today, and I have not given too much thought into it before now, so not sure it will work, but I may need to give it further thoughts before the end of the day.

No comments: