Monday, February 13, 2012

Look Ma, no training wheels!

2-13-12


Ken had suggested we take the training wheels off of Bobby’s bike. He knew this would also mean that we would end up needing to take them off of Dax’s bike. We took all the bikes down to Columbia Park, including tools needed to remove the wheels. The park seemed like a good place to allow the boys lots of room to crash.



The park was perfect. There wasn’t a lot of foot traffic like you would find at Wilson. Plus, we used one small corner in the beginning for them to practice which saw no people during the time we were there.

Bobby was excited. He was so jazzed about the idea of being able to ride his bike like a big boy. Every time he fell over, it didn’t deter him in the least. He would quickly pick himself up and try again. It took very little to get him going and really the only thing that took a little practice was the initial starting off. He was diligent and motivated and within 30 minutes, he was doing it all on his own, and quite well.



Dax started off after Bobby had already practically mastered it. Sadly, his training wheels were giving us trouble in their removal. A lot of this was because we didn’t have the right size tool. Ken finally got them off, and they came off in such a way that there was no way these wheels would be going back on. Dax was excited, but already frustrated at how long it took. Plus, the damage from the wheels being taken off resulted in the chain falling off often, which of course hindered his progress. Dax did not take any of this well.



The crying and anger was frustrating. Ken ended up being the one to teach him, while I tried to be crazy positive, cheering him on despite both of them being pretty damn pissed a good chunk of the time. But as we all know, these growing pains pass, and within a little bit of time, we had both kids riding, sans training wheels.

We rode around the entire park 3 times, taking different routes each time, even off roading it by using the dirt jogging trail. By the last trip around, Dax was having no trouble. Both the kids were thrilled and cheering for the family all biking together. I have to say, it was rather exhilarating.


Their new found skills were not put to waste, either. When we got home, they spent more time out front practicing. On Sunday, they spent a good chunk of time out there, too. It was great since they had to keep starting and stopping, which are of course the two things with biking that seem to take the most time to master.


Once Ken got home from his day of gaming and birthday party hosting, we all mounted up and rode out to Lowe’s to get a part for our leaking kitchen sink. We then went to the grocery store where I was able to utilize the brand new basket we had purchased for my bike. The only real issue both of them seem to have is bike etiquette. They keep passing each other in dangerous ways, and both seem to get to close to one another, which resulted in multiple collisions.


I am very proud of them. This is a big boy milestone!


Other milestone activity includes the incredibly loose front tooth on Bobby. He even had us attempt to pull it out last night, but it isn’t quite ready. It will be out in the next couple days, that is for sure. I guess that means I need to prep for the reward from the tooth goblin!


Saturday evening I went over to Stephanie’s for her birthday bonfire. It was really cool to get to know some of her oldest friends. I was a little nervous, especially since I was flying solo and I get too shy at times. I also wasn’t drinking since I would be driving. But they were very nice and I was happy that it is such a good crowd of people. Many of them are parents of both people kids and fur kids, so it provided lots of things to talk about.


The only good thing when Ken is gone on a weekend day is that I tend to get a lot of work done. I did all the laundry yesterday. I gave both the dogs a bath. I cleaned house. I kicked ass is what I did! I felt really good about my progress, and as always, my cleaning always calms me.



It was just nice that I felt better on Sunday. Saturday afternoon on, I felt kind of nauseous. It wasn’t gobs of ill, just enough that I wasn’t 100%. I wondered if I was starting to get the sick that the boys have been dealing with. My throat was a little iffy, which sadly did not get better while standing too close to the bonfire Saturday night. LOL! Sunday I was mostly ok, but I did get a few waves of it every now and again. Honestly, it reminded me of when I was pregnant, but who knows. I don’t have a stick to pee on currently, so I need to get one to confirm. It would figure if I was since in less than a month I am supposed to be on a booze bus.

Last night I had Ken put my last box of hair treatment on me. My hair is visibly lighter. We finally mostly evened it out. I am bummed at how many gray hairs I have, but really, I am not shocked. I knew they existed. My hair truly is turning reddish more than blonde. In fact, it kind of reminds me of Robbie’s hair, which is fun. I am happier with it this morning than I was say yesterday morning, so I will take this as a win!

Check out the AWESOME sweatshirt!

Ken is taking me out tomorrow afternoon for Valentine’s Day. My folks will watch the boys while we go to PF Changs. YAY! Mmmm……PF Changs. I get yummy food with my yummy man.

I stayed up last night way too late. I wanted to watch the Grammy’s. It was an ok show. Foo Fighters were freaking awesome, but is this surprising to anyone? Aside from Adele blowing everyone away with her stunning voice, I was intrigued by this group called the Civil Wars. I loved their sound, which was only featured for about a minute, but the couple was charming and adorable and I am anxious to look up some of their songs.



Sadly, the damn show went on till like 11:30. I crashed out around 11, which meant I missed the performances of Paul McCartney singing Beatles songs. I will go back and watch them today. I really wanted to stay up to see Adele sing, I wanted to see the in Memorium reel, and to see what they would be doing for Whitney Houston. I have to say, LL Cool J actually made me tear up a little with his simply prayer done at the beginning of the show. It was classy and not over the top, and really a nice tribute to the woman who used to be so damned amazing with her voice.


I am sure this week will drag since we are heading up to the Compound on Friday. I am hoping to pack this evening so that I don’t have to worry about it the rest of the week. We are considering pulling the kids from class a little early and I might bail from work around noon so we can leave town around then. The drive home will be long with it being on the end of the three day weekend, but at least the drive up won’t be so bad.


I will leave this with one last thought. I have to say I am sad that it took this long to get back on a bicycle. It is truly a fantastic feeling when I am on that thing. Having used a bike for so long as a kid, it seems almost unnatural that I stopped. I was meant to use a bike, and I really hope, and intend, to keep one in my life from here on out.

No comments: