Thursday, August 21, 2014

After Life

8-21-14

Well that could have been uncomfortable.

In reality, that was one of the funniest, heart-warming conversations I have had with the Brenan family. Ken sent me a text yesterday indicating we had a family conference call at 6:30 with everyone. This of course sounded incredibly ominous, especially since the only information was that it was about end of life stuff. Seriously, it is one of those times you assume someone is announcing they have a short amount of time left. I was worried and considered grabbing tissue before we called.

The good news was that no one is dying. Instead, it was just one of those things you discuss with your kids when you make some arrangements for your wishes when you have died. Papa Brenan talked about how they wanted to be cremated and they were getting one of the tiny ashes plots up in a cemetery near their house in Nevada City. We discussed if anyone wanted some ashes (which turned out to be way more than they expected. Every kid wanted some and there was some to be set aside to be sprinkled on Leslie) and even funeral arrangements.

We were able to ask questions and discuss who should be notified or invited to an end of life celebration. I posed a couple of questions such as who should pen the obituary and here would they like it published. As a connoisseur of death and funeral customs, I was able to point out that the obit isn’t just an announcement. It is a story that allows future generations a glimpse into someone’s life.

The funniest part of the discussion came when Ma Brenan wanted to make sure everyone had the heirloom quilt that suited them. Apparently Holly doesn’t have a quilt made from her mother!! Everyone was figuring out quilts and it turns out we seriously have way more than anyone. LOL!!!

We also found out the wonderful news that Nate and Kristi are expecting their first child in January. I am so excited!! They are going to be great with a kid and I can’t wait to see her preggers. Super cute all around. I may need to offer them our crib!

Yesterday also was a fantastic day for multiple reasons. I got home from work and was greeted with a surprise package from Ken that was the most wonderfully awesome boots in all the land. I danced a little when they fit. I also got to wear them to our next outing.

Duck time!!!

Yes, the giant rubber duck showed up in Pedro yesterday and we went down to greet it as it came into dock for the next few days. It was really fun and we ended up getting a great spot with parking near by and no cost! The shade was nice for waiting, but it did prevent some good pics of us with the duck, but I will live.
When we got home, the boys pointed out that I still needed to do the ALS ice water challenge. We set it up and I did my little speech and was then drenched with insanely cold water. Holy poop that was cold!! The boys enjoyed it, though, and I was able to call out Andy, Holly and Lyn to do the challenge. I don’t know that they will, but I liked having a set of three that were perfect for challenging.

Jean gave us two giant bags of clothing yesterday and all of the pants totally fit Dax. There were some nice dress slacks and suit jackets, too, so he was all kinds of excited. He likes to dress all dapper. My kids are going to be very stylish in life. Bobby fit into some, but most of them are about a size too small. I told Bobby not to worry since in the next couple weeks he is going to be so active I bet some of those pants fit him. He laughed since he knew how much running Lou makes them do.

We have practice tonight. Normally I wouldn’t go, but Ken is running the practice tonight so I will go help. Plus, it will allow me to get to know the kids on the team. I am considering walking or riding my bike there just so I get a smidge more exercise in. We will see. A lot depends on how hot it is. Then again, it gets cold by the time practice is over.


No comments: