Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Corn

3-9-10

I have now decided that the boots are helping. I was wearing them all day yesterday and even in some of my activities that would have normally hurt, my ankle did not yell at me. I took off my boots and only then did my ankle start to hurt again. Of course, it may have hurt more because I had messed it up by wearing the boots, but I can actually feel some extra support with these. I am wearing them again today in the hopes that I can duplicate my success yesterday.

It is good we found new band aids at Target. Not only did they have Toy Story, but they also had Star Wars. Bobby managed to get a pretty nasty skinned knee when they were riding their bikes yesterday. Of course, it was too big of an injury for the new band aids, but Ken improvised and is putting a Yoda sticker on the bigger band aid this morning. Either way, just the mention of new band aids to the boys makes wounds cool.

Ken took the boys on their bikes up to where he heard the fire truck stop in our neighborhood. I couldn’t go because Ken didn’t want me walking on my ankle. Yes, I pouted a bit, and even more so when Ken told me how much fun they had. The firefighters not only waved, they gave high fives, they showed them stuff on the truck, and even offered to trade Bobby their cool fireman hat for his helmet. Bobby politely declined telling the shocked fireman that the helmet was actually too big for him. Awesome!

I cleaned up the back yard of toys yesterday with the boys help. Luna had felt that it would be fun to take every single toy from the yard and spread it out evenly. It gave me the excuse to toss old toys and get everything ready for the gardeners. It also allowed me to wake up a smidge since I barely remember how I got home from work.

When I did get home from work I flopped down in my chair and had planned on napping until I picked up the boys. Instead, I watched about half of the HBO movie Temple Grandin which was fascinating. This is a story about this real life woman who suffers from Autism. I read one of her books. She invented a more humane way to slaughter cows because she could really feel the animals. She was never good with people, but animals she just seemed to connect with. In fact, on a trip to visit her aunt she noted that when they were inoculating the cattle, they would feed them into this machine that would squeeze them a little to hold them still. She observed the cows being frantic until they got into this contraption and yet they now seemed calm. When Temple had a episode of a panic attack, she ran to the machine and put herself in it and was shocked to find that it worked on her as well. She went on to make her own “hug machine” in order to help her through stress. I have not finished the movie (which Temple saw and said was quite good), but this woman is amazing. Even though she has Autism, she works with it. Truly remarkable person.

Today is Stephanie’s mammogram and ultrasound. I am leaving work around noon to meet her over at the facility that will be performing the scans. I think it is the same place I went when I had my ultrasound for my gallstones. I am super curious to see what the whole mammogram consists of. Being that really we are too young for regular scans, it isn’t something that we would have ever had done. I have recollection of standing in a machine that looked like what the mammogram one would look like. It was during my appendix nightmare. I think they ended up using it to take x-rays of my gut at the time. I could be wrong. Hell, it may have been a dream. Lately I have had a lot of dreams that I am not sure were real or not.

I am curious, too, on the ultrasound. I have seen ultrasounds all on the stomach area, but never anywhere else. It seems like the breast would be too dense to get any kind of an idea of what was there. But I am not a doctor, so I am way off.

Stephanie is not modest when it comes to this sort of thing (which adds to my theory that moms who breast fed are not inhibited by their body). I am glad for the fact that it allows me to see the procedure, and to be in there for her (if the docs permit it) and keep her laughing. I have had friends who didn’t have any problem being naked in front of me. I have had friends who were not as keen on it. Dani was always very modest. I remember on my wedding day, she was using a sticker bra for her stapless gown. I offered to help apply it since she was having so many problems. She didn’t mind me helping, as long as I didn’t look or touch her boob. Yes, this does pose a problem when applying a boob sticker.

I am determined to make tacos better than the boys have at Maria’s. I picked them up last week on one of the days and they had just finished tacos. Bobby says to me, “Mom, we had tacos. This is how you make them.” Dude, that is cold kid. So I picked up different meat and different seasonings so that I can make tacos similar to hers, but better. See, we are a taco bell sauce on ground beef kind of taco house. We use flour tortillas and refried beans as well. I got some actual steak style meat and corn tortillas with a seasoning packet for tacos. I am hoping this will impress them somewhat. If not, I may just have to cry.

When we were in Target the other day, Bobby was standing up in the cart. I happened to be looking the other way, but I could hear the sound of him standing and I could see him out of the corner of my eye. I told him to sit down without turning to face him. When I did turn, he was all confused. He says to me, “Mom, how did you see me when you were not even looking at me?” I told him that I could see everything. He was pretty convinced this was the case. Awesome.

I may need to wean myself off of M*A*S*H. I don’t really have a problem falling asleep in general, but lately I have had an episode of M*A*S*H on in the background because I noticed it makes me comfy quicker, especially when BJ Hunnicutt is on the screen. But I worry that if we don’t have a M*A*S*H episode to watch or I am not at home, I might not be able to sleep! I may have to try it out tonight.

It figures that since Ken and I are going out late on Saturday night it is the same night that daylight saving time happens.

I got a letter yesterday from someone wanting to purchase my domain name fuzzynails.com yesterday. It came via snail mail and actually has a real signature on it. I emailed the gentleman about it. I got fuzzynails.com years ago. It was because I had hoped to some time make my furry fingernails a reality. I have lost most interest in it over time and now just use it for certain email. Truly, my gmail account is what I use now, and I don’t actually get much spam. I emailed the guy this morning because I wanted to know if this is one of those domain hogs or if he had a real reason for the random domain name. He actually mailed me back this morning and told me about how he was looking to open a salon that was going to be kind of furry and wanted to portray that warm and fuzzy feeling, hence the name. Upon doing some more research on the guy, I found that he does tech stuff, which makes me think he has a client that actually is doing this and he is just obtaining the web name to do the web site. I could be wrong, but this is my thoughts. He said he would offer a fair price, but didn’t give an amount. I told him I was interested but that I needed to think about it. I sent him a friend request on Facebook, too, so I could see more about him. Yes, I am getting too good at cyber stalking. I am not attached to the domain, and if the guy wants to give me $50 for it, shoot, it is $50 I didn’t have before. I might be on board with this.

I got the boys to eat corn last night because I told them that if they truly wanted to be hockey players when they grew up (this is their recent decision), that they would need to eat corn to make them be big and strong. They ate corn. YAY! Of course, Bobby asked me how I knew that hockey players eat corn. I told him I saw it on an interview. I am in so much trouble when this kid learns how to surf the net.

I put on my desk one of those scented reed diffusers. It smells really nice, but I did notice when I came in this morning, my department now smells like it. LOL! No one has said anything yet, so maybe they don’t mind or didn’t think that it was too strong to care. I wish I had more plants on my desk now. I have my bamboo, but it is still small. I might need to get some more vegetation to make the whole desk feel even more cozy.

I am going to start using my little application on iTty called Lose It. After putting in my information, it said I could get down to 140 pounds by November 2011. That is totally doable. So I added my foods and it tells me how many more calories I can consume a day. Plus, I can add when I do exercise. So this should be good. I need to use it. I need to not cheat. I need to add everything I consume into the list so that I can see where I am screwing up. Sure, I know, but it is good to see it in black and white. Ok, not black and white since the color on iTty is quite nice.

My plan at this point is to leave work around noon thirty. That will give me plenty of time to get over to where I am going. I am counting down since I am so done with being here. But because it tends to be loads easier to leave when the boss is at lunch, I am doing that.

No comments: