Monday, March 15, 2010

what a great weekend

3-15-10

I have never written a journal while asleep, so this should be interesting.

I am so tired because I had a great weekend. I really need about a day to recover.

On Friday night I was planning on watching a movie, but I was so spent from the work day that after we went out to dinner, I just wanted to crash. Plus, my plan to go to yard sales in the mornings meant that I should probably try to get some sleep.

We headed out by about 6:30 to hit up 3 different sales I found in the Penny Saver. The first one listed was for Lyme Disease. I assumed we would come up to a giant sale that was for Lyme Disease research. Not exactly. It was a woman’s house and she was raising money to pay for her son, who has had Lyme Disease for 17 years and who is now in a hyperbaric chamber. She quickly started telling me the story, showing me pictures of her son in the chamber. I felt bad for her. She told me insurance wouldn’t cover so much of the cost, including the oxygen he uses daily. It costs her like $150 a day. It doesn’t sound good for him, that is for sure.

We ended up finding at that sale a lot of good stuff, though. A couple of awesome shirts and pants, which is really what we were looking for. The kids really need new pants, and why spent $10 on one pair when we can get a pair slightly used for $.25? The clothing looked mostly like it used to belong to her son, who was a soccer playing skateboarder. Many of the clothes had skulls and fire, both of which were happy making for me and the boys.

We headed out and ended up hitting up all sales we saw. We came across every kind of sale, too. There were the ones that were clearly just trying to move stuff. These are the ones where you dig through a pile and everything is a quarter. Then, there were the money makers. These were the guys who had some amazing stuff, but I can guarantee you, it wasn’t worth the price they were selling it for. This one guy had this singing Mr Salt and Mrs. Pepper figure. It was super cute and Bobby and I liked it. The problem was, it was clearly used, not in the best condition, and he was actually selling it for $10! Holy crap! These are the sales that bug me. Especially when you find interesting stuff, but it so is not interesting enough to pay that much. One guy had a book that was probably 40 years old that was a guide on how to chose a faith for retarded people. No joke. It was AWESOME. I so wanted it. But based on his other pricing, this book was $20! Not going to happen.

We came across a great sale at Anza school. It was a fund raiser, so they had gobs of stuff, plus, they were not trying to over price anything. They wanted people to walk out with something, and hopefully tell them to keep the change as a donation. The lady in charge of getting people pumped up was awesome. I loved the whole atmosphere there. We found several things there, which was great. We also found a church sale where Bobby found a little toy skeleton. I am telling you, that kid was so excited! Needless to say, the skeleton now resides in our home.

We had a plan as we scoured the city for sales. We would pull up, Ken would jump out to look and the boys and I would circle around the block since there was no parking. If the sale was worth while, we would get out. If not, Ken could jump back in the car and off we went. It became easy enough, too, that Ken would ask folks if they had kids’ clothing. He would then ask follow ups of what age and if it was girls or boys. I am telling you, based on the sales we came across, our boys are going to have lots of girls to choose from when they get older. Holy crap, the only clothing out there seemed to be girls who were around the boys’ ages.

By about 10:30, we had spent maybe $40, and came home with about a dozen pair of pants, a half dozen shirts, a couple of cheesy toys the boys found, a new cage for Ratticus, a new lava lamp, and a couple of books. Way good haul if you ask me.

As we were pulling into our neighborhood, we came across one last sale which was on the block behind our house. Ken went to check it out and discovered they were moving to Hawaii. They had a super large, nice television that they were getting rid of. It cost $200, and was normally a $700 tv, so Ken picked that up. This meant a whole lot of organization in our house. We would need to remove the one in the living room, including the shelving around it since this would take the place of both. We then put the old tv in our bedroom and moved the small one from there to be the new monitor for Bobby’s room, removing that large one. So yes, we moved several tv’s on Saturday. The good news was it forces you to reorganize other things, too. The results by Sunday evening was a nice looking living room complete with large television. Our bedroom is super nice and cozy now since adding the new tv. In addition to all this moving stuff, we managed to get the boys’ bedrooms cleaned up and some other clutter. I was quite pleased.

Saturday afternoon I took the boys to my folks and left them in their care so that we could head out to the Glee evening. I went back to the house to get Ken who was supposed to be ready when I got there. Instead, he was working with Dish Network to set up one of the tvs. I was not happy. He had not even taken a shower yet. Thankfully, the set up didn’t take too much longer and we managed to walk out of the house by 5.

I was a little spooked what with there being some traffic and the fact that we needed to be there by 6. I was really testing the Effexor. When we got there, there was a line around the block. Crap! We parked and went to Will Call. I got the tickets and as we were walking to the end of the line, the line was moving forward. It moved at a quick pace and we were inside before you knew it. Thankfully, most of the people seemed to have tickets for the front, which meant the section we had seats for was not too full. We got some pretty good seats, and even managed to have the seats on either end of us be empty so it was nice and comfy.

The show was AWESOME! We got to see the director’s cut of the episode that has not aired yet. I am telling you, I was so sucked into the episode, I forgot where I was. After the episode, the cast (less Leah Michelle) was all there, along with the creator, Ryan Murphy. He is wonderful. Kind of John Malkovich like dude who was super fab gay with his awesome sparkly red pointy shoes. He was so fun to listen to. The two other writers were there, both who were super funny. They talked about censors and different things they would like Sue Sylvester (played by the wonderful Jane Lynch) to have said. The best one was at one point she tells a person with their mouth open in shock to shut it before she rapes it. OMG, I was dying. Too freaking funny all around.

They talked about the music, upcoming plots and just the whole process. I am telling you, it was so interesting and fun and great. At around 9:10, I happened to look at my watch. I was excited since I was sure that they would probably go another 50 minutes or so. Sadly, within about 3 minutes of my watch check, they ended up wrapping it up rather suddenly. I think they were actually running too long. My guess was that the event was actually supposed to be the hour long episode, and then an hour of Q&A with the moderator and audience questions. It was now 15 minutes over this. I was shocked at the short length, especially since they told us that this was the biggest crowd they had ever had in the 27 years of doing these events. Not that I am complaining, though. The 2 hours I got were wonderful.

Since Ken and I don’t go out much, and it was still kind of early, we walked down the street to the Stinking Rose for dinner. We had a positively yummy dinner and enjoyed the time that was kid free. I had these yummy raviolis and we had the cool roasted garlic you can spread of the fresh rolls. Holy crap, I ate too much, but it was so freaking good.

It was technically later than it was. We of course end up going out the one night that is Daylight Saving Time. D’oh! So even though we got home at 11, it was really midnight.

Even though we had no kids to get ready in the morning, I still had to gather toys and get milk and do all the kid stuff in order to meet the boys at bowling. We were both dragging hard. My ankle was unhappy with me, being that I walked a bit more than I probably should of the evening before. I just didn’t bowl, which was fine. I got to play with the boys who were so freaking excited to see us. Makes you appreciate a night out even more, really since you know that the fun out has a good ending too when you get back to the kids.

After bowling we headed home to finish the projects started the day before. It was a day of cleaning, playing and just hanging out. I had hoped the boys would nap good (Dax did) since they had such an unusual night and also got up early. Bobby just wasn’t going to sleep, so unfortunately, neither did Ken or myself.

The most frustrating part of the day, though, was that my soup failed. I was making a giant batch of chicken noodle soup. I crock potted the chicken, I got 2 dozen eggs ready to make lots of noodles and was ready. I thought that I would be smart in keeping the pot of soup near the noodles so they were off the heat and that way as I added noodles, the one already in there wouldn’t burn on the bottom of the pan. Great idea in theory, except I found out that the heat needs to be on in order to cook the noodles. Sure, it was hot, but not hot enough. I had not realized that the boiling soup is actually what is needed to flash cook the egg noodles so that they would not disintegrate, which is what happened when I did it the way I did it yesterday. I ended up with a flour soup, which was nasty. I was so upset. I wasted a whole batch. We were able to salvage the chicken so that I may be able to re cook it later, but I just didn’t feel like spending more time on the soup yesterday. We ended up ordering Chinese food.

Other than that, though, the evening was nice. We went to be sort of early, but were able to watch Modern Family before hand, which seriously, people, you need to be watching.

I am shocked I am up this morning. The alarm didn’t go off, so I don’t know how I managed to wake up. I woke up about 10 minutes late, but that wasn’t too bad really. I still had plenty of time, so it was all good.

I suppose I should do some work in order to wake up. I have a relatively mellow week ahead of me. On Wednesday, I am not at work since I get to spend the day with Stephanie. Sure, part of the day includes a doc scooping out a little chunk of her boob, but hopefully we can have a good time. I am just hoping that I can keep her cheery through the procedure, although I know she is already so relieved that it isn’t anything serious. I am so right there with her!

On Saturday is Sabrina’s talent show, which I am really looking forward to. It is the start of I am sure many assemblies, Christmas shows and other concerts I get to go see with kids performing. When I told Dax about it, he was quite happy to be able to see Sabrina.

Hopefully the morning doesn’t drag!

No comments: