Friday, May 11, 2012

Boob

5-11-12


Oh how boss free days tickle me so.

This is a good thing since I needed a win. Yesterday’s disastrous bike ride to and from practice left me frazzled and beat. It would have been bad enough having Bobby’s chain come off his bike a half a dozen times. What pushed it to the next level was Dax’s whining about everything from being tired to claiming that Bobby always gets to go second in our bike line. What he doesn’t take into consideration is the fact that in his mind “bike order” always places him second, and for the most part, Bobby doesn’t mind. As if the whining wasn’t enough, both of them crashed about 4 times each, mostly from not paying attention to who was in front of them, and would end up crashing into a wheel and then wiping out.


It was a long ride.

Ken bailed us out twice on the chain issue. At one point, I had texted Ken to come get us when we had numerous problems on the way home. He didn’t get the text for a bit, and we sat in front of the Jehovah’s Witness building for 10 minutes, all the while being sort of stalked by one of the Witnesses who saw the crash that resulted in this stop. He was clearly judging me, being that I am pretty sure he heard me tear into the boys for their attitudes. I actually wondered if he thought I might smack them around a bit. He was uber creepy. Thankfully his ride showed up and the boys and I were able to head out again.



I have to say, I am really happy about how things worked out with me and toe bitch. It is a nickname I have not used in a while because honestly, I can call her a friend at this point. She and I seem to be on the same wave length after such a rocky start 10 years ago. She just texted me from her side of the department to ask how to tell one of our coworkers to turn down his radio. LOL! It was cute.

The good news about no boss day means I can do a longer workout today. I am going to do my treadmill, and then do some weights also since I don’t have to rush back. YAY! I am enjoying the treadmill more than I ever thought I would. This reading while walking thing is brilliant. I get so much more involved with it and lose track of time.



It was pointed out yesterday that the Long Beach Marathon has a half marathon that I am allowed to walk. This sounds like an interesting challenge. I figure a half marathon is what, like 13 miles? That is nothing! I can totally walk that, and at a pretty good pace. Maybe Ken and I should register. We can leave the boys with my folks that morning and we can walk it together? Hmm….


I think Ken heads out pretty early tomorrow morning for the tournament. The boys and I will probably not go down there, but who knows. My understanding is that parking is scarce. Plus, my guess is that Ken will be pretty swamped the whole time. We shall see. I am looking at the schedule and it is hard to make out the times of the games and when they are each day.

Sunday, after Ken is done helping, depending on what time it is, we are going down to Venice Beach. The boys have never been and I have been wanting to go for a long time. I just want to look at the crappy shops and silly performers. There is something about Venice that makes me happy. Hopefully it isn’t too crazy crowded, although when it is, there are way more things to look at.



I told Dax he could get his nose pierced when we were there and he laughed. He then told me that as soon as he grew up he would get pierced everywhere that it didn’t hurt. I pointed out that most places you pierce hurt, even if only for a second. He looked concerned for me in this brief second of thought. I could tell he was confused as to why I would inflict pain on myself. He then told me he wanted me to get my eyebrow pierced, but in a cool configuration in which he described basically a coil that would weave through my whole eyebrow. This kid is a visionary.


Ok, I have to touch base on the new Time cover. I have to say, at first I was taken aback. I mean, look, I am a huge breasfeeding advocate, but I do think that at some point kids don’t need the milk provided by mom. I fed Dax until he was 17 months. This is a long ass time in some circles. In others, I stopped early. I will also say that really, Dax and I might have gone longer had he not been so tall. It was hard for him to lay on my lap and it really was becoming an uncomfortable even for both of us, taking away from the comfort it provided both of us with.



I say comfort because I knew it no longer was for nutrients. He was eating solid food by 17 months. He drank cow’s milk. He was way healthy and growing like a weed. My milk source may have been a tasty treat, but he and I both know that it wasn’t for the milk. We were attached again, similar in some ways to when he was attached with a thick cord while residing in my uterus.


I have always said that when I nursed, it was a euphoric experience. I was in heaven. So now thinking about this, and looking again at the image of this woman with her 3 year old at her boob, I can understand why she keeps doing it. Is it hurting anyone? Probably not. Does it work for her and her son? Sounds like it does. So what is the problem, really?

This then reminds me of the I think it was a 7 year old who was still nursing. This is essentially Bobby sucking on my boob. A kid who has philosophical discussions with me. Can I imagine sitting on the couch while he curls up with me, having a quick snack? I don’t think so. It seems to me like there are better ways to bond once the kid get old enough. But a three year old? Well, why not? A three year old still will fall asleep in my arms. Hell, even a four year old will do that, and that comfort works both ways. It is a form of bonding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2kxRs75Myo
I still maintain that I might not do it. I don’t think I would do most of the things these parents who do this whole co-sleeping, slings and spiting up food into their mouths. Not because I think they are bad, but because they are just not something I think I need to do. We don’t have any idea what our crazy parenting will do to a kid until they are in their 30’s and even then, only their therapist will know the full extent of how much we fucked them up. Bottom line is this: ask yourself if you are truly doing these things to bond with your kid. If you are, then how bad can it be?


What would be more interesting is to watch these kids when they hit school. Will these same parents participate in the classroom when needed? Will they be the parents who gladly provide supplies and sign up for snack duty? Will they be the parents who help their kids with their homework nightly and be sure to show their kids that life is not fair? Will they be the ones who are cheering the loudest for the team when they play soccer? Will they be the ones that have made their houses the most welcome to their kids’ friends? Remember, parenting isn’t just one or two things that you do when they are little. It is a lifetime commitment. So don’t judge these moms for these few things. There are plenty of years ahead of them before we can truly say they suck.



As a side note that shouldn’t be funny, but makes me laugh all the same; how many minds would be blown if these women doing this breastfeeding were gay?



No comments: