Thursday, May 24, 2012

tagging music

5-24-12


The weekend is so close I can taste it!

I am just tired of work this week. It seems very uninspiring. It probably has to do with the fact that last week I was pretty jazzed about the idea of re-vamping things, and now I feel like these offers were empty promises what with no one responding to any of the ideas. Granted, a lot of people are out of the office. It being a holiday weekend has inspired folks to take a couple extra days off to unwind. I just need to power through.

Tonight is the second to last practice with our Spring team. Ken doesn’t have class this afternoon, which means we can all ride to practice. Bobby’s chain is still having issues, but at least with Ken riding along, if there is a problem he can help.

I downloaded some songs this week that popped into my head. They likely popped in there because they reminded me of Angela. I had been thinking that now that she has moved back to Hermosa, I should find some time to go hang with her. What was interesting, though, was the choice of songs; Shoop and Whatta Man both by Salt-N-Pepa. Both are fun little songs to dance to and are great to listen to during the summer time with the top down, but I have not really had the top down since my Mustang died.


Sure, I have a pretty eclectic taste in music, but what was even funnier is that I don’t think I have listen to Shoop in probably 10 years. I hit play and I was shocked at how many of the lyrics I had retained. It amused the shit out of me. Especially since if you heard this song, you would not automatically think, oh, sure, Gena totally listens to this.

The same seems to be true of many random songs. Dax and Bobby always are shocked and amazed when we are in a store and the random song that comes on, whether it be in Ralphs or Hot Topic or even some random elevator, and I know the lyrics to most of the songs. Even if I don’t know the full lyrics, I know the song pretty well. Dax will always proclaim, “You know EVERY song in the world!” I so don’t, but I am amused at his belief.

This song association got me to thinking. I know that just about every one of my friends has a different taste in music than I do. They listen to bands or groups (oh, by the way, don’t even get me started on what is the difference between a band and a group because it is just as mind boggling to me as how big is the universe) that I don’t care for, yet sometimes, one of the songs will enter into my life and I will grow to love it.

A perfect example of this is Pearl Jam. Don’t get me wrong, they are fine. I don’t have issue with them overall, but I don’t think I would seek them out. But then when you are friends with someone, and live with someone who lives and breathes everything Eddie Vedder has every sang, you become well versed in their music catalog.



Whenever we were together, you could assume PJ was on. I suppose I could have had the same awful experience I had with NKOTB, but thankfully I was able to appreciate Pearl Jam on a different level. I even found myself with random favorites. I really enjoy the song Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTtSsOOPPNs

Shoop was one of those kind of songs. Angela had a hip hop phase in which she liked things like Salt N Pepa and a much more pseudo rap influence, yet very tame. I suppose you would call it early 90’s R&B since she also loved some Mariah Carrey and songs from those sort of artists. Most of it was fine. Yet songs like Shoop stood out.

There will always be songs that I will love because they remind me of certain people. TLC Scrubs makes me think of Blockbuster, working with Erica and Alyssa. So does Montell Jordan This is How We Do It. It was a new time for me, making friends outside of my comfort zone, and I was so happy with it. The new music, although not my cup of tea, made the whole transition even more interesting.




OMD-Enola Gay. I hear the song in my head and then I watch Greg and Scott play dashboard keyboards and it makes me smile.


Another Scott song will always be See You by Depeche Mode. It isn’t really just Scott, so much as all of the couples I knew in high school. Angela used to tell me how much this song was how she felt about Scott since it was hard for them to see each other due to lack of a car.



Certain songs now also seem to be attached to people even though it may not even be something they know about.

Beastie Boys-Girls will forever remind me of Sarah bee-bopping her head.


Vanilla Ice-Ice Ice Baby has images of Ken and Jeff doing the dance at our wedding.


Grove is in the Heart will always make me think of my old car.



This and That-Michael Penn has a special place in my heart since it was a song that was when David was different.



Anything Pet Shop Boys reminds me of the Westchester House.


Forever Young will always remind me of Brandy.


There are times when I see people or think of them and they have their own soundtrack. It would be interesting technology to have this actually play for people. Of course, I suppose it could also be dangerous depending on the song that comes up when you see them. And seriously, high schools everywhere would have to be a music free zone. It could get dangerously angsty in there.

I have decided to give Hitchhikers Guide another go. Ken has downloaded a copy to Padme so I started reading it again yesterday. Last time I tried to read it I got bored and stopped. I am in a different place now so I am hoping I can appreciate it at least enough to get through it. I hate not understand the references made by people.

No comments: