Tuesday, March 19, 2013

tantrums


3-19-13

I am pretty sure it is a sinus infection now.

I have only had pain like this once before. It was when I was pregnant with Dax. My face hurt to the touch. I had been battling a cold for a week or so at the time that just wouldn’t go away. Then I noticed when I went to put my face in my hands it felt like someone punched me. I ended up going to a nose and throat doctor who stuck some kind of magical wand up my nose to clear out my sinuses. It was wonderful. Sure, it wasn’t super comfortable, but the end result was nothing short of a miracle.

So now I sit here, having dealt with this congestion for more than a week and I am noting that even eating hurts the same tender area on my face. I now am waiting for the doctor’s office to open so that I might be able to get in there today. I am willing to go this morning if they will see me. I just need to see a doctor before this evening since it is Open House (for reals this time).

On top of this horrid infection/sick/bleahfest, I had to deal with Mr. Bobby’s epic meltdowns yesterday. The kid was drama intensive over every little thing. I was calm and quiet and basically stuck to my guns on everything. He wanted a snack, despite the fact that I had just watched him licking out a bowl of ice cream he had gotten from class. I told him he didn’t need anything else and that we needed to get homework done. He actually fell to the floor. I told him that he would need to stop acting like a fool or else I would have to come up with some kind of epic punishment. I suggested several, including filming his tantrum to show the world. He didn’t like this and got up pretty quickly.

We started in on the worksheets. He dinked in epic form. It truly was an art form. He doesn’t just space out. He will go all inquisitive child on you. Thankfully I am quite familiar with the routine and can steer him back to the blank clocks on the paper that needed to be told what time they were to say based on the clues at hand.
Sadly, he hadn’t finished even the second page of work he knows how to do quickly when Dax was already starting in on his paragraph. Dax, of course, in true brother form decided to morph into Angel Child since Bobby had claimed the role of Devil Child for the afternoon. When Dax was done with his homework, he decided to make me a scavenger hunt, complete with clues. He also brought in all of the trash cans for me and was super chipper all afternoon.

Bobby kept complaining about his homework, despite my efforts to make it pretty damned easy. So I opted to show him what he would be doing had I not already made life easier for him. I made him do all 15 of his sentences and made him alphabetize his words. He flipped. It was sobs and screams and kicks and every other kind of kid sad you can think of. I stayed calm and just had him stick to it.

It was a long afternoon of homework, but that being said, he is more than halfway done with all of his work for the week. Plus, hopefully he learned to not cranky boy me without expecting punishment. He whined a couple more times in the evening which resulted in quick removal of privileges he was hoping for. I am crossing my fingers that today is better.

No comments: