Wednesday, July 2, 2014

RIP Jedzia

7-2-14

We are back down to 6 cats.

Ittles passed away yesterday afternoon. She made a small bit of improvement on Monday when we finally found some food she seemed interested in. She ate a bit, and vigorously, but sadly she seemed to be the same if not worse after food. When we took her to Dr. Steinam’s, although she was purring up a storm, she died in the midst of the doctor’s exam. Having never been with a critter when they died naturally instead of euthanasia, I was pretty traumatized at the reflexes that occurred even after she had died.

Outside the vet, Bobby broke down crying and opted to not come in. Dax chose to sit in the waiting room, but came in to say goodbye after she had passed. Ken was a wreck. I found myself more worried about my 3 boys, all dealing with grief in different ways. Don’t get me wrong, I am extremely sad about Ittles, but she no longer has to suffer.

It was much too soon for me to be back in that office. The smell of the place triggered memories of Trixie, and I felt guilty for my sadness of another kitty when one was right in front of me.

Ittles was the one cat that played with Fetus Bob. She used to curl up on my pregnant belly and she was so confused when my belly would punch her. She would bat at it from time to time. It was pretty awesome. She also was the one who curled up with Bobby when he was a baby.

The household seemed to sense the sadness. I know I had 3 of them this morning following me around while I got ready.

I knew she was close, which is probably why it was so easy to spend much of the afternoon cleaning like crazy. I would spend some time with her and then go scrub the kitchen. I cleaned the backyard, the mouse cage, downstairs, even the boys’ room. It was strangely comforting, and to some degree, it was a way to not think about it.

Thankfully, today looks to be without any real activity. Sure, I have work, but that tends to go by quickly enough. This afternoon we will work on my hair, if only to keep us occupied. I figure we can also throw the boys in the pool and work on more laundry. It will be a regular day.

We handed over the keys to our tenant, which is one less stress. It is kind of nice to not have to stress about that anymore. Now we can finish the paint on the outside of Steve and perhaps we can start landscaping. I would love to get the front porch built. I really am anxious about getting the backyard into something that isn’t just a dust bowl. I swept off like 6 pounds of dirt off the back porch. It was nuts!

Rest in peace, Little Butt. You brought our family much love and we will miss you dearly. 

No comments: