Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Bike

1-11-12


Napalm Puppy would be an awesome band name.

Brandy and I visited with Conner last night to check in on him after his bacterial infection gone awry. He seemed tired more than in pain, which I guess is good. It sounds like the eye socket sized hole in his back, while not pleasant, is at least healing at this time.


Not actual image of Conner


The visit, although quiet, really was one of those surreal grown up visits in which there were talk on topics ranging from illness, to DNR to terminal cancer to other ailments. I felt slightly old. I have known Brandy and Conner for a long time, and as much as it is nice to be able to be hanging out decades after we first met, I kind of miss the trivial conversations of the past. Way less dark. LOL!



There is now discussion of Ken and I joining the party bus to Vegas for Greg’s 40th birthday bash. After listening to Greg rattle off the confirmed guest list to me yesterday, I was shocked to note that out of the dozen or so people attending, I knew all but 2. It was almost as if there was a mini reunion of high school buddies going. I told Ken that we really should go, and even secured babysitting for the weekend in case it works out. I have left Ken in charge of funds. It sounds like a fun trip. We leave on a bus on Saturday morning, where drinking begins. There are meals planned, we will get to see Penn and Teller, and even some hired bartenders attending to our needs in the evening. It sounds like a lot of fun, and I look forward to it if we can swing it.



Today is my excited day in which I meet with the trainer in the gym at some point. I am hoping that he doesn’t look at me and go, “nope, no hope.” LOL! In all seriousness, I am quite jazzed at the ability to possibly get some new ways to work towards fat burning. Yesterday, after I did my Bowflex, I spent some time with the free weights and also used the strange vibrating machine that mostly just sits in the garage and is used by the boys to make funny voices with while standing on it. I did a couple squats on it while it vibrated and some other exercises while on it. My legs are sore, which tells me I did good.

My dad also offered to let me borrow my mom’s bike. We got it down and pumped up the tires and I took it for a whirl while there. I was nervous, not just because I was unsure of the old adage, but mostly because I didn’t think I could manage the hand brakes. I grew up on a beach cruiser. I don’t know gears or fancy handlebars. I rocked a banana seat and giant tires. There was nothing streamline about my wheels in the past. This bike, thankfully is an automatic shifter, but still, it was weird. It didn’t help that Bobby kept yelling, “I can’t believe my mom is on a bike!” Both the boys loved it, though. I think I will come and borrow the bike, and Ken can borrow one of the others, and we will take the boys down to the park and ride for a bit. This all came up when we discussed the idea of me riding a bike to work. I have to get to that point. I think it is possible!



I need to find something stimulating today. The last couple days of work have flown by, but I am guessing today will not be like that, especially since I will be counting down until I get to see the trainer.

Unsure of what this weekend has in store for me as of yet, but I think it needs to include an epic walk. If Ken refs again, perhaps the boys and I can walk to the field and then we can drive home with him. Or if he isn’t, I will have to come up with a different outing that can get me to a destination that they can pick me up from.

The coworkers are starting to show up, so I guess I will wrap this up.

No comments: