Tuesday, June 5, 2012

4-0 peeps!!!

6-5-12


What an incredibly pleasant afternoon!

I met Angela down at her place in Hermosa. I was impressed that I didn’t get too lost, especially since the street I had to turn on appeared to be the ONLY street in Hermosa not marked with its own street sign.



In some ways, it did feel like it had been centuries since I had seen her. But that went away rather quickly and it was as if she had never left. It was so nice that she could let down her guard in front of me, which I know is up most of the time these days in her life. I am glad that she knew I was safe. That always means a lot to me when I can provide that. It is also so important to me because there were three people in my past that I had always hoped would not change so much that I would lose them forever. I am glad I didn’t lose her.



I got home after the puck dropped, but I was greeted with happy smiles and my jersey and we watched the Kings skate to a 4-0 victory in game 3. Holy fuck, it was some damn good hockey.

My poor Dax. His self-esteem is in this horrible pendulum swing. As we watched the game, he finished the Avengers Lego set that he started the day before. This is a good sized set, and not to toot his horn but kid kicked some ass on it for being his age. Ken works with 5 year olds, and most of them could not have completed this set on their own. He is a Lego prodigy, along with the other talents he possesses. I even did a victory lap around the house with him to show him how impressed I was with his building skills. Yet as I tucked him in last night, he suddenly burst into tears, upset that he is the smallest member of our family. Not even my pointing out that he is actually the fourth tallest would help. He was devastated, and I don’t know what set him off.



He told us that his BFF Tristan is mean to him. Tristan is a dick, but I can’t blame it all on him. Dax seems to be going through a very sensitive time. Hell, most of the kids on the Purple Dragons were incredibly supportive of him, yet if they scored, Dax crumpled, thinking he sucked. It wasn’t anything these kids had done. This was all Dax feeling insecure.

It is a frustrating thing to watch him go through. I can’t imagine how someone as talented and witty and freaking adorable could feel so inadequate to others. Mrs. Fasheh adores him, and had even said he is the best reader in class. If anything, she is more worried with him getting bored with school because she sees so much intelligence in him. He jumps rope like a champ, and has been climbing like a monkey since before he could walk. And seriously, you can’t look into his eyes without being instantly mesmerized.



I honestly always assumed Bobby would go through this. This isn’t even because of his sensitive nature, either. I would just think that when you have a little brother better than you at some things it would cause some jealousy. If anything, Bobby is the exact opposite. He is so incredibly proud of his brother and talks him up constantly! Of course, this is Bobby’s biggest strength. This kid can read your soul.


I am hoping this is simply a phase. There are highly competitive boys in his class that are not nearly as encouraging as you would hope, and perhaps in their highly charged frat boy atmosphere, Dax is just not quite there yet. A summer of being in activities he excels in may be just the ticket for a nice ego boost.

Side note on the opposite of an ego boost; sitting next to Angela I have to admit, I felt like a whale. She never projected this, btw. In fact, she thinks she is too skinny, but it still was intimidating.



I was going to take Luna down to get her rabies shot tomorrow night to renew her license. Kings game 4? I think I will wait until the 6-20 clinic. LOL!

No comments: