Friday, June 8, 2012

Gotta Organize


6-8-12


I am becoming a better social mom.

Last night was McDonald’s night for the school. We rode up around 5:30 and ended up staying almost the full time, till a little after 7. Bobby was Mr. Social Butterfly, running around saying hello to kids he knew. Dax started off cranky since he was upset about falling off his bike when we first got there. Thankfully, as multiple classmates of his showed up, he cheered significantly and the two of them ran off to the play area and checked in every now and again. Although really, they didn’t check in so much as they just wanted a swig from their drinks.


Ken and I hung out, taking advantage of the free wi-fi what with our net still being down at home. We also spent some time chit chatting with Mrs. Fasheh. She is really sweet and I like that we have gotten to know her on a more personal level.

What I also found amazing was just how many kids and parents I am getting to know. I don’t even know names or have them in the boys’ classes. I just know them from seeing them on campus. I can walk with the boys across the school grounds to go get their bikes and there are so many hellos to me, and not just polite greetings. At McDonald’s, it was the same feel.



I was especially happy that I still have a couple of parents from Dax’s class that I have known since Pre-K. Mae and Kathy are awesome. I am sad that Kim is moving today. Of course, all of these moms have girls that don’t play with Dax (nothing against Dax, mind you, but he runs with a different crowd), but even if our kids aren’t BFF’s, I am happy to know parents that I will get to bond with over these crazy years. I even made a point to go and say hello/goodbye to them, complete with hugs initiated by me!

I have to say, we have been a little more lax on the bedtime of the boys. Well, in reality, it has just been pushed back to some degree. 7:30 is more realistic these days. Hell, even if they get in bed by 7, they come out of their room with the various complaints until 7:30. They are older, and Bobby in particular has always been a night owl, so a later bedtime may make more sense. Sadly, it isn’t as though they will get the summer sleep in schedule. If anything, they have to get up earlier come July for camp since Ken and the boys have to get to the school in Manhattan Beach I think by like 7:30. Much different from only needing to go a half a mile down the street by 8 am.


Today I get to bail from work early. The boys get out at noon thirty, so I need to get out of here, go get gas, get home, and ride up to get them. I don’t know what we will do after school. We are not going to my parents’ house this afternoon since we will be spending much of tomorrow over there for the chilling conclusion of Tiny Tim’s abduction of Mitchell and Roper. Oh, and we get to go to lunch for my birthday. I am pretty sure that is just a footnote. LOL!


I do need to get over to the grocery store, so perhaps we will do that. Maybe I can let them pick out a box of popsicles or something from there. Then we can go home, they can eat popsicles and go in the pool.

Yesterday afternoon, the boys and I managed to clean the playroom and their bedroom. We also, and much more significantly, got one of our little sheds clean so that we can move it closer to the pool. I want to make it their shed, so that we can put their outside toys like balls and bats out there instead of storing outside toys inside. Plus, Ken suggested we put this small shelf in there so that we can store kids towels out there for swimming purposes. I am very excited about this. I may move it this afternoon.

We have had neighbor drama, too. Since Margie passed, her son, Tom, in an abrupt meltdown, moved out. Tom has some mental challenges (this is not being mean, btw. His sister, Edith, explained that when he was born, he died on the table at some point and had significant issues after they brought him back. I am guessing some lack of oxygen might have caused some damage. He is an incredibly sweet guy, and sort of acts a bit like Matt) and he doesn’t get along with his older brother, Walt, who by all accounts is a total asshole. Anyhoo, Tom has been living with his mom, taking care of the house and mom for years and years. Since we have been there, I think, if not longer. Well, the will states that Tom can stay there indefinitely as long as he pays for taxes and does upkeep on the property. Sadly, Walt has indicated he wants to sell the place so he gets his share. Of course, we have no idea what exactly was said between them, but Tom hates Walt and he didn’t want to fight with his brother. Tom left the funeral early and cleaned out a bunch of his stuff and moved out. Edith was frantic. She talked to us and she was very upset.



Ken seems to be able to talk to Tom, which is great. Tom came back to get more things, and though some talking, Ken may have convinced Tom to stay. We have also allowed Tom to store some things at our house so that he knows Walt won’t get rid of these things. Edith seems quite happy with our help.

I looked at some of the things Tom brought over and I am starting to think he used to work at Acme. Dude actually has an anvil! He also has this awesome giant butcher knife. It is like a cartoon pile! But that anvil is no joke. Ken brought it over on the wagon and left it on there. It popped the tire on the wagon! That just proves that Wile C Coyote is indestructible. I think I want to be the cool coyote for Halloween. I can use my iPad for signs that I can just keep changing throughout the day.


Andy and Scotty sent me the cutest purse! It is called the Sassy Salsa Shoulder Bag. I love the purse and the name! It is super cute. Not practical in a lot of ways for everyday use since I carry to much dang stuff, but I may start using it for other outings. It is so me! It is made from recycled candy wrappers. It goes with every outfit I own. Love it!



Ken and I both have been working on lots of mini organizing projects at home. Between closets and drawers, etc, we have been getting things more organized. I am hoping to make some more dents in the clutter that is starting to look like an audition tapes for Horders over this weekend. I am getting rid of more clothing I don’t wear. We are using the sheds better. Maybe we can get the house into a more functioning groove since I really would like people to come to our house more.

No comments: