Thursday, June 14, 2012

Parenting Day

6-14-12


I am glad I took yesterday off.

The alarm went off yesterday morning at 4 and I just could not move. I was just beat. I know I slept fantastic, too. I decided to just stay in bed. What the hell, right? It wasn’t like I would be at work all that long anyway since I was coming home to get to the school at 8.


Turns out Ken was not aware of this 8 o’clock plan. He figured that since the performance wasn’t until 10:45, we didn’t need to be at the school before 10:30. Oops. I always seem to fuck things up.

That being said, I loved being able to hang out in the classroom. We sat in Dax’s first. I got to watch their morning rug work. It was fun to watch Mr. Smarty Pants Dax answer everything first and with such confidence. He struggles with self-esteem in the same ways I do, so I feel proud when I see his little victories. They make me very happy.


While the kinder classes practiced their program, Ken and I went to Bobby’s class. We helped her put some pics of the farm trip on poster boards for the open house. She told me how shocked she was at how many pics I had taken. I don’t know how it only occurred to her this week to look through the 4 discs of pics I gave her. She seems to be a frazzled mess much of the time. A sweet lady, but this teaching thing may be taking its toll on her.


Ken and I then went and watched some of the other classes perform in the auditorium. It was the ESL and special development classes. It seemed counterproductive to have the classes that need to learn English only dance to a bunch of Spanish songs. It seems as though it would have been better to have them sing a simple English song so that their parents could see how much they have improved over the year instead of dressing them in stereo typical Spanish style and having them dance to something you would hear on a taco truck. That being said, they were damned cute to watch.

The first grade classes did 3 patriotic songs. It was super cute and Bobby looked kind of nervous. But he did good, as did all of the classes.



I got a chance to talk to Dimitri’s mom and she confirmed that Dimitri and Bobby were mistaken in their freak out. Dimitri is NOT moving and WILL be back to Halldale next year. YAY!! I was very excited to hear this news. They are best friends and you hate to see besties get split up. In all fairness, it looks as though Bobby is pretty popular, but still, you want him to stick with his friend that he has known since the first day of Kinder.


Dax’s performance was awesome and cute. Mae saved Ken and I seats so we could be up front. She also saved a seat for Kathy, which was great. It allowed us parents who have known each other since Pre-K to hang out together. Their daughters got speaking parts, as did Dax. They all did amazing. Mrs. Fasheh seemed very bummed that us parents were moving up to first grade. I assured her that just because our kid is not in her class doesn’t mean we are not around to help her.


First and Kinder classes had a picnic at this time, so Ken, the boys and I sat under the shade of the tree with everyone and had lunch. It was really quite nice.

We checked the boys out early, at about 12:30 or so. We headed home and there the boys worked on a Lego set while Ken played a video game. I processed pictures of the day. Thank goodness the net is back. Stupid AT&T had canceled us for nonpayment despite having received payment. They decided to be slow at bringing it back up. Now that it is back, I was able to upload all the pics I had been accumulating.

Since it was Chuck E Cheese night, we headed out to the mouse house. Before we went, though, we stopped and got Matt his birthday present. We also went in search of a Goodwill location Jen from soccer told me about. Sure enough, it was where she said and was as awesome as she had indicated. I found a gorgeous long green skirt. I got a short denim skirt. I also got a red flowy dress. A swimsuit, too! Plus, while I was looking through clothing, Ken found me 3 kick ass hats. I also found a couple pairs of fantastic shoes. We even found shoes for the boys, including a pair of Star Wars shoes for Bobby! It was a great trip!!!



Chuck E Cheese’s was not bad. They had yummy iced tea last night, so I was content to just chill and have tea and salad. Ken and the boys played for a while, and then Ken tagged out so I could go play. Bobby wanted to play this shooting game, but really wanted to play with Ken. He looked so hesitant to play with me. He stopped just short of pretty much indicating that I could not handle it because I am a girl. So I insisted, and we kicked ass!! We completed a level and did quite well on the next one. He had fun, too! So much so that when Ken went back out, he had suggested to Bobby they play (Ken had wanted to play this game), he told his dad that he and Mom had already beaten it. Hee hee!!

Dax found a classmate and they ran around playing, which was nice. I also wish I had seen what games Dax was playing since he kept coming back with tons of tickets. It was impressive!

It would have been smart to have gotten home earlier, but it was such a good time. I got to bed later than I would have liked to. Especially since I had started to feel sick again. Not sure what is up. I had a stomach ache from about 11:30 to 1. It was awful. I still feel off. Total suck fest since I have a soccer meeting tonight, which means another late night. I wouldn’t mind if we were not in for a long driving weekend.

At least tomorrow will go fast in the beginning. I get to meet with the president of the company, something I am really looking forward to. I leave work at noon since the boys get out at noon thirty, so we can get out of Dodge pretty early. We are picking up Andy in Sac on our way up.

I am hoping next week I can go get my hair cut. The awesome style I saw and loved on Beetlejuice is what I seek. Stephanie said I would look great with that and told me it was called a layered bob. She is going to take me to her chick who is in Pedro and who is not too pricey. I would like to get my hair back to brown, too, so I will check with her to see how much she would charge for that. I am very excited!

I packed last night for the weekend and I was impressed with myself that I was able to do so in a grocery bag. It is so unlike how I used to pack long ago. It is nice that I can fit stuff into such a small space.


Luna almost drown yesterday. Sigh. Ken ran home while we were at the school so he could get his iPad to take videos. He got home to find Luna with her paw over the edge of the pool and he walked up and saw just a small portion of her face out of the water looking pathetic. She had decided to jump into the pool with the cover on. She then managed to get some how tangled in the cover. Thankfully she kept herself afloat and didn’t drown, but I can tell you I would have been pretty devastated had she died.



I don’t know that I will take the last day of school off unless they have an awards ceremony. I figure there is no real need to, unless Ken needs me to pick them up. We shall see. I don’t know that there will be anything going on, so I may just let them have their last day and pick them up when it is time. Once they are out of school, I plan on working OT from that point on until Ireland.

Interesting Ireland development. My mom and dad offered to pay for the boys to go to Ireland. They really do not like that the kids were not invited on this trip. My mom also recognizes how hard this time will be on me and the boys. Sure, we will all survive, but they also feel like this is a rare opportunity to pass up. We are going to tell Papa Brenan about the offer. It may be too late if only because we would need to find airline tickets and get them passports. So we shall see. I also think that he will still not want them to come, which I think is still pretty sad.

I know tomorrow will go by fast, so here’s to hoping today does, too.

No comments: