Friday, August 24, 2012

Have fun storming the castle

8-24-12


In 6 months Bobby will be 8. Holy fuck.

We showed the boys The Princess Bride last night. It was fun explaining to them what the movie was about using lines from Grandpa Peter Falk. Bobby was clearly the right age to appreciate a lot of it. I think if he watches it more and more, he will start to pick up on other humor as he gets older. Dax was interested, but a little more scared of parts. I am not worried since we will undoubtedly watch it several times over their lifespan.


I have to say, even though babies are cute and squishy, having kids who can think and produce real ideas and communicate is awesome!

We got to know Mr. Williams a bit more yesterday. When we went to pick up the boys, Dax was the classroom helper that day. What this means is that he stands outside the room at the end of the day and asks all of the parents as they arrive who it is that they are there for. Dax then goes in and lets that kid know that their parents are there. I was the first parent there, and Mr. Williams was going to just have Dax do this later. I insisted Dax hang out and do his job and I hung out with him. It was awesome! It meant we were there till every kid was picked up, which also meant we ended up having a few minutes to talk to Mr. Williams with no other kids or parents around. I really like him. He reminds me a lot of Miss Cahn, which is high praise coming from me.

On our way out, we visited with Mrs. Fasheh and Miss Lee and they asked how we liked Mr. Williams. They pointed out how structured he was, and I told them that when I was in elementary school that was when I thrived was with that kind of teacher. They both looked pleased, knowing that their Dax was in good hands based on this.

Bobby is making friends wherever he goes. He is a true Brenan. He just seems to make kids at ease when they are around him. He made a new friend in his class and ended up promising him a Lego keychain. This of course worried us only in the idea that we would hate for him to have been befriended only because of a promised toy. Ken ended up meeting the kid and the kid’s mom yesterday after class and everything was actually good! Ken is going to look for a keychain for the boy and it sounds like Bobby is doing fine in his choices.



I have to go down to LabCorp tomorrow morning for my blood work for the diabetes checkup. I am nervous about the results. I have not been nearly as diligent as I was in the beginning. Granted, I have maintained the weight loss, continued my workouts and have been healthier overall, but I still worry. Either way, I am going to ride my bike down to the place tomorrow morning. It is over by Torrance Memorial, so it will be a good ride. I don’t know if Ken and the boys will come with me. I would love it if they did, but I worry the boys will not be as thrilled.

We get our soccer uniforms today. This will be the decider in what color my hair will be.



No comments: