Monday, August 13, 2012

back to the routine

8-13-12


I had not planned on a blog today, but apparently I get caught up even quicker than I brag.

My Ireland trip journal is still being worked on. I figured that I would be very thorough and make it complete, so I am working on that one at home. I plan on adding pictures, which are still being uploaded since apparently Picasa is unsure of how to deal with 2000 photos in one shot.

We got home Tuesday night of last week and my parents actually picked us up, complete with my boys. I collapsed when I saw them, so excited to finally be back to them. Although there were some things which would have been boring for them, I truly think they would have enjoyed the hell out of all of it, which is frustrating since I really wish they could have gone. Sure, I am glad I got some time to be just me and not me with kids, but really, I spent a lot of time thinking, “man, the boys would have LOVED this.”

I have to say, also, I am a little frustrated that Papa Brenan seemed so grouchy most of the trip. Sure, he was tired, and had been stressed, but overall, dude, you are in freaking Ireland! Smile! It didn’t help, either, that the email we got from when they got home (Ma and Pa Brenan and the Sixes stayed till Saturday) indicated that the highlight of the trip for him was a genealogist that was there, which kind of sucks when you are more jazzed about people who died more than a century ago rather than being happy to spend a week with your kids. Sigh. Priorities, people!

He also urked me early in the trip when there was discussion concerning Dan. Holly and Steven were talking to Ken about how his talks with him went, which were all more than reasonable discussions (despite my belief that both of them are too soft on him). But when Grandpa buts in with this “what are WE going to do about Dan” as if it truly has ANYTHING to do with him whatsoever, I find that to be rude. I stayed out of the conversation as best I could. I didn’t want to fight.

Politics such as these aside, the trip was lovely and I had a blast. I loved being able to climb up castles through tiny spiral staircases that a year ago I could not have even thought about fitting in. I loved wall the walking in the crisp rain and seeing all the lovely pubs that were sprinkled liberally throughout the city. I am going to miss having a drink with every meal. Seriously, you have a pint with most meals, which was fantastic. I tried whiskey, beer, you name it, I tried it. It was so much awesome!

My days home since have been good. I did get a little stir crazy come Friday since I had already done the obligatory clean up from Lucy’s exploding ass and just standard unpacking which left me with nothing to do on Friday. I had just spent a week and a half on the go just about every second, and it was strange to just sit. It didn’t help that the net was down until Saturday, what with us changing service providers. I tried to be active Saturday, just randomly going out on my bike by myself around the neighborhood, but found it to be far too hot, so came home and jumped into the pool instead. This was way happy making, what with the boys coming in with me and even the dogs seemed relieved that I was in such good spirits.

I caught up on work here pretty quickly. I expect something to come up any second, but it being 10:30, I think I am mostly in the clear. I still have AYSO paperwork to handle when I get home, but really, how hard is that?

It is the first day of school tomorrow, and the first time I am not going to be there for drop off. I feel kind of bad, but dude, I was just off two weeks! Plus, in all honestly, it isn’t like there is Kinder orientation or something that the parents need to be at. The teachers want the kids in the classrooms without us so they can get to work on the separation anxiety without us meddling. I will thankfully be there to pick them up and meet their new teachers. Dax got Mr. Williams, which by all accounts is a far superior teacher to Miss Kelly and will challenge Dax in the right ways. Bobby has someone named Parker, I think, and I am unsure if it is a man or a woman. Oh well, at least he has Dimitri in his class, which thrilled both he and I. Plus, Dax has his old BF from Pre-K, Benjamin, in his class. As a side snobbery note, this also means Mr. Williams is a tough teacher. Benjamin’s parents are both well liked teachers at the school. I know they probably have some pull and put their super smart kid in the best class he could be in, which means, Dax is in the best class! YAY!

I used the Manic Panic I had on my hair. I know, I was probably not supposed to mess with it, but honestly, it looks good and feels fine. I have been very good with my hair since I cut it, so I feel quite happy with both cut and color right now, which is a first for a bit.

I am proud of me on the trip for not sticking to any kind of strict diet. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t binge or anything. I just know that based on the pedometer, we were walking at least 9500 steps each day, including climbing many steep staircases and were very active. So if I ate a little more here and there, I was not going to sweat it. Plus, meals were interesting in the idea that they were spaced apart a lot, and I had no time for snacking, really. I did however do a little over indulging when we returned in the form of a Taco Bell night. I know I also felt like I ate all day yesterday, not moving much as it was too freaking hot. Plus, we sat on our asses and watched like 5 movies. It was a good day.

It will be nice to get back into the routine. Of course, we never have anything standard in my life, but at least some regular items will be back. School and homework starts up. Soccer gets into full swing next week, what with us needing to schedule some practices before Sept 8, which is the first game. Dax’s birthday “party” is this Saturday. Nothing big. He wanted a few kids he knows over, which means we should probably tell Anthony, and they will go in the pool and have hot dogs or something like that. Really low key. He was upset at no bouncer, but it is just too expensive right now. I think he is more stressed about the start of school and everything is making him upset, so for now I will cross my fingers it doesn’t get too out of hand with his mood.

Ok, back to work!

No comments: