Monday, August 20, 2012

Life is getting too busy!

8-20-12


Practice starts Tuesday!!

Our soccer meeting went well last night. It was a much different group of people compared to our Spring League. These are parents who seem to be involved and not just using soccer as a sitter for a couple hours a week. Granted, many of these parents couldn’t commit to things like being team parent or being a ref, but we will see what we can do. Life is just too damn busy these days. To get ref points so we can play in the Jamboree games, I may have to bite the bullet and do a ref class. Sigh. I didn’t want it to come to that, but the things I will do to make sure they can keep playing.

One of the players came at the end of the meeting. He was Dax’s age, and super sweet. He starts telling me about how last year he played this really tough team called the Blue Dinosaurs. I pointed out that Dax was on that team. Dax had his face buried in his iPod at the time and looked up excited. The boys then recognized one another, which was incredibly cute. The other boy told Dax what a great player he is. I thought that was very sweet.



What really sucks about this year is that there were not enough coaches for how many kids signed up for U8. We have a full team without a coach right now. On Wednesday evening, we have to go to a meeting with the team and explain to them that either one of them can step up and coach, or we would have to disband the team. This is why I have to be there since I would have to write refund checks to all of them. You hate to see these kids get turned away like that.

We have to go out and get soccer shoes for Bobby tonight since he has outgrown his other shoes. I suppose we should check Dax’s shoes, too. These kids and their growth spurts!

Dax’s party went well. Stephanie and Sabrina came and my parents did, too. Stephanie and I went in the pool with the kids, which was a lot of fun, especially since it was a million degrees out. I was proud of myself that I got over my fear of walking around with just the swimming suit on. Not saying I looked great, but I was just pleased that I could let myself have fun and not stress about my ass.




The pool has been well used in the last few days, which has been nice. I like how much fun they both have out there. I have to say, in general, the boys have not been at each other’s throats as much, so perhaps they have gotten to a happy middle ground right now.

Bobby told my mom that he really wanted his own house. He described a house to my mom in general, and she laughed but deep down, my mom hates to deny these boys anything. I am sure she was trying to figure out a way to get him some kind of house until my dad mentioned the dollhouse I probably still had somewhere. So she called me and asked if I had it accessible and explained what took place. Ken got down the dollhouse, a cool piece of woodworking Granddaddy made for me when I was a kid, and we presented it to the boys. They were so jazzed! What is really nice about this house is that it isn’t girly at all. It looks like just some basic house in the 70’s. It needs a little repair. The shingles are a little cracked and the linoleum in the kitchen needs replaced, but other than that, it is in excellent shape. The boys instantly busted out Playmobile and had them move in. They also had Lucy move in, but she wasn’t as excited about this as they were. My mom was super pleased.



I hate this heat. I just cannot sleep when it is hot. It is the only time I can’t just fall asleep. I know I got some sleep, but I was plagued with funky dreams. Last night included my going to a high school reunion. I was wearing my Christmas dance dress from Junior year with knee high, black and white stripped socks. It was an all class reunion, covering 50 years of students. I spent a lot of time trying to find pictures of people I knew on the boards around the auditorium. I then found myself trying to calculate what year Doug would have graduated. I was looking through his year and couldn’t find him. I didn’t know if he went by Smith or Bowlby. I looked under both. Nothing. I was very upset and I found myself drinking quite a bit and I couldn’t seem to go to the rest of the event, and I headed back to the hotel room that Ken and I had which for some reason seemed to be attached to the school now. It was all kinds of strange. I woke up this morning with the slap to the head of, wait, Doug went to Redondo Union, not Costa. This would be why he wouldn’t be listed. Of course, like this makes ANY difference when it comes to dreaming.

Brianna’s tail looked good when we changed the bandage. It was nice and pink and clean with no discharge. Sadly, Brianna decided to chew off the next wrap we used. It didn’t look bad, but you can tell she chewed on it a bit. It still was discharge free, but I noted a bit of blood around it from her meddling. More Neosporin and a new bandage, and she has kept it on, so we will check it again tonight to see how she is doing. She has feeling in her tail still. She was actually getting a bit grumpy when we were checking it last, so this is a good thing. She is clearly bruised there, too. Poor kitten!

On Friday I got to take cupcakes to Dax’s class for his birthday. What turned out even better than expected was getting to help out and observe in the class for about 45 minutes. Mr. Williams runs a tight ship. He doesn’t let them just raise their hand when they need something. They each have about 6 cards with “logos” on them. One is a pencil, for when their pencil needs sharpened, one is a bathroom card, one is for water, and there are a couple others they need to hold up when they need help. He also is very organized in how they all do things for homework and classwork. I really liked the structure.

I ended up helping a student who had only came into the class that day. He seemed behind in many ways. He didn’t know how to write his name. I wasn’t sure if it was a language issue or what, but he was a sweet kid. I wonder what will happen with him.

Many of the kids in there know me, and many of them could hardly contain themselves because all of them wanted to tell me something. Whether it be about their backpack or their summer break, they had a hard time staying seated. I actually had to snip at Tristan a few times. I didn’t mind chatting with the kids, but they were still in the midst of work. It was kind of hard to have to tell some of them to behave since they all dubbed me the cool mom. Dammit! I love that, but at the same time I want them to be good! LOL! The good news is despite my instructions to them, they still seemed happy towards me.

Homework will probably start to suck now, though. It is the first real week of instruction and Bobby will probably have his own packet of papers to accomplish tonight. I am hoping there isn’t much fight. I still need to have Dax write his two other thank you cards from his birthday, so it will suck if his homework frustrates him too much to make these go on the back burner.

Today I am going to walk 30 minutes on the treadmill. I am not going to allow myself to stop until I do it. Work will live without me for that long.



No comments: