Monday, October 10, 2011

Bargains

10-10-11


It was a good weekend. I got some things done and even took some time to relax, which is unheard of for me.

Friday night, we took the boys to see the Lion King. It was fun to see the flick on the big screen again. It is one of my favorite Disney films, and it is really cool to see it the same way I saw it the first time. Of course, there were some changes, including the fuddy duddys at Disney ‘correcting’ the word sex in the dust cloud Simba creates that ends up letting Raffiki know he is not dead. I was amused, but I wish they had left it in.

Ken had ref training, so the boys and I headed home after the movie. I crawled into bed soon after the boys. I was looking forward to some nice sleep.

Saturday morning I went to the farmer’s market with Brandy. I got the boys each an apple that was red and yellow. On Friday, Bobby had apple testing in class, and it was decided he liked the red apples and the yellow ones. Dax got to try some yellow ones because Mrs. Kelly was kind enough to give him some when we picked Bobby up. They both decided they were nummy. So I thought it would be funny to get them a combo apple. Dax was thrilled. I think Bobby was more thrilled at the cinnamon rolls I also got them.

Bobby’s soccer game was good. Our team is quite talented. Even with no subs, we were kicking the other team’s ass. I felt bad, but let’s face it, you can only hold back 6 to 8 year olds so much when it comes to a mercy rule. The other coach was pissed at us. I am torn on the mercy rule. I think that life isn’t fair. It sucks when you are on a team that is losing that bad. But honestly, is it good to show kids that just because they are behind that people will let up? Is it fair to make kids who have been taught to play hard no matter what to now start to slow down? Look, I am all for good sportsmanship. But that has to go two ways. You have to be a good winner and a good loser. When Dax’s team was getting tromped a couple weeks ago, I would never have suggested to the other team that they slow down. They were thrilled with themselves. I can’t in my right mind tell them that they are doing too much. Maybe when kids get a little older, mercy rules can come into play. But I also am one of those parents that doesn’t think that every kid should get a participation award. We are taking out the point of light competition, and even though it isn’t always good for kids to be competitive, they should learn at an early age that games will result in a winner and a loser.

Ken ended up reffing a game before Bobby’s game, and one after. We really are short refs in our region. I was ok with it if only because it was fun to watch all the other teams play, and it was reminiscent to my childhood where a Saturday was spent all day at the soccer field.

Saturday evening, Ken had his last training and his test for certification. This meant it was just me hanging out all evening. The boys were in bed, so I kicked back and watched several episodes of Drop Dead Diva. It was nice to just vege out.

I slept in on Sunday until almost 8. Yes, I was up at 5 when Dax came out to tell us Luna was chewing on Woody, but I managed to fall back asleep which was grand.

The day was spent running around to random discount stores. We had received an ad in the mail for this one warehouse place which turned out to be fantastic. Specifically because they had costumes, which included an Anakin one that looked enough like the base for Aang. It was only $2.50! Woo hoo! They also had cheap bottled water and other random goodies.

We also hit up Big Lots and the 99 cent store. Big Lots was having this 20% off sale, and we found some things there, along with a canopy Ken needed for work. At the 99 cent store, I found some eyeliner and pre packaged lettuce in the containers we re-use. It was a good bargain day!

We even found boots at Big Lots for Dax’s costume. I am telling you, we just were lucking out left and right!

Sunday afternoon we drained the pool. It was warm enough for them to go in for a bit, but with it becoming colder, and with us having less time each weekend, it seemed like the right time. The dogs also got to swim, which was nice. Lycos swam a bunch, chasing her tail in the water, which was super adorable. She was even able to walk pretty well after, which was nice to see.

Dax has a family collage due on Wednesday. I took some pictures for him and printed out a bunch of others, too. While I took my walk with Luna, Ken and the boys cut them out with the fun scissors. I was going to get a glue stick from work but I guess we don’t have anymore. Oh well, I will just run up to the dollar tree later.

I am down to 288. I want to get to 275 by the end of the year. Of course, if I lose more, I would be ok with that, too. LOL!

Crap. I thought Maryann was supposed to be back today but according to the calendar, she might not be back till tomorrow. Lame.

No comments: