Monday, November 14, 2011

soccer and parties

11-14-11


I am only here for a bit this morning. I am heading out to my mammogram and ultrasound. I am pretty confident that they will not find anything, especially since the discharge had mostly gone away. But it doesn’t hurt to make sure.

Friday night was so much fun! It was Dax’s last practice, which was a parents vs Dinosaurs scrimmage. I loved every minute of it. Bobby even played! He was on the kids’ team along with Ed the coach. The rest of us parents played against them. One of the dads was a bit too competitive, but it was all good. I could tell the boys had a blast and I know I wished it would never end.

I heard the rain Friday night, and slept with my fingers crossed. I woke up to what did look like cloudy skies, but dry ones. YAY!!!! We went down to the field early so that we could help with set up and Ken had a game to ref before our games started at 10:30.

I hung out with Fred, who is the commissioner of our region. He and Jim, another coordinator and member of the board chatted it up with me about ideas for the region and they both seemed pretty pleased that Ken and I were becoming so involved. They are super nice and I look forward to working with them. It should be interesting to say the least.

We lucked out by claiming the U8 field next to the U6 field, which meant even though the boys played at the same time, I could spin around and see both games. Ed was awesome and had me on the sideline instead of the field so I could watch both games. He even cheered on Bobby, who was in goal for the time he was in the game. Don’t even get me started on how pissed I was that Bobby was one of 3 players who had to sit out for half the game. We had too many players, so yes, 3 of ours would need to sit out an extra quarter, but this would be the second time Bobby has had to, and he didn’t get to play the whole second half. Not pleased.

Dax’s game was fun. They did really well, tying the team that slaughtered them last time. Dax was on fire and had a lot of fun. I am telling you, I am so going to miss this team. The boys are total sweethearts, the parents are really nice, and I couldn’t have asked for a nicer coach. He even gave Ken and I the bag of his soccer balls he had planned on turning back in to the region. He said that this was his way of encouraging us to coach next year. Awesome!

We hung out the field after the games since Ken reffed another game. It worked out ok since Bobby and Dax played with Ryan, who is on Bobby’s team. His dad, the coach, was reffing another game. I hung out near the game, occasionally looking over at the three of them playing. At one point, Dax came back and said Ryan was pushing too much. I told him he could hang with me. It was at this point, I watched the ‘game’ Ryan and Bobby were playing. It was standard boy rough housing, but it was something my kid is not accustomed to. There were body slams and wrestling and what not. But then it turned bad. Ryan grabbed Bobby’s arms and pulled them behind his back. Ryan then proceeded to drop Bobby to the ground, his face slamming into the dirt. I knew it would not go well. I hurt just watching it. I started walking quickly over to them as I could see my child crying. I told Ryan, who only continued asking Bobby in a rather insincere way whether he was ok, that he was being way too rough with Bobby. I told him he wasn’t used to this. I don’t know that Ryan knew what he had done. He almost seemed like he thought he might be in trouble. I wasn’t really mad at Ryan. I was annoyed, but not mad. This is how he plays with his friends and more importantly, his own dad. It was not our way. Plus, in all fairness, Bobby was having fun until this point. I did leave them to play more, and it seemed ok, but I kept an eye on it the rest of the time.

Sunday was mostly filled with birthday party fun. We went to the Machado’s twins’ birthday party. It was at the park near their house. It wasn’t huge, which worked well. Stephanie and Sabrina also came, and the kids all bounced a lot, ate pizza and seemed to just have a good ole time. We stayed until the end, even going over to their house after to watch Dylan and Taylor open their presents. I knew the kids were hopped up on sugar and would crash hard, so we wanted to keep them going for the next couple hours.

We had to go pick up a new desk for me, so Ken dropped us off at my folks’ for a bit and he went to get my new desk. They played for a while, which was better than sitting around. We then headed home, where we found only one of the coolest houses ever. Sigh, I need to play that lottery.

We took a walk with the boys riding scooters. It was a good way to burn of the remaining energy we all had. We had considered going to the grocery store, but it was late, and we wasted time checking out the house built in 1915 that called to us.

So now I am faking small talk with my coworkers. I am much to pre occupied with the million things I need to do to really care about what they are chatting with me about. Sad, right? Oh well. It is only for a little bit this morning. I figure I leave in a couple hours. It should be all good.

No comments: