Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey Day!

11-23-11


Cancer free!!!

I never realized the power in those two words. Sure, I may have been overly worked up, but when you have doctors looking solemn and crud coming out your boob near an unidentifiable lump, things get a little grim in your head. Thankfully, the nurse who spoke to us Monday morning said there was no cancer before she even closed the door behind us. Clearly she understood dramatic pauses were not necessary in her line of business.

We were there for really only a few words, a quick flash of my breast and for some literature to be handed out. We were out the door, with smiles and sighs of relief within about 10 minutes. It was a glorious morning!

I have fibrosis breast disease. It sounds icky, but in reality, it just means my non dense breasts will occasionally be plagued with these sorts of lumps and abnormalities. It does mean that I will probably be privy to more biopsies in my future if only so that my doctors can be sure each new lump that doesn’t go away is benign and trouble free. It also means because of this, my boobs by the time I die will be filled to the brim with the little metal coils they will inject after each of these. Neat!

After the triumphant news, we walked from the breast center over to the main hospital to visit our friend, Yasmine and her new addition, Jonah. She had the baby a couple days ago and we figured since we were in the area, we could drop in. It was a wonderful visit. I got to hold the squishy, with my rocking coming back to me like the mommy version of riding a bike. He is only something like 6 pounds, and truly beautiful. Such a sweet face. Yas looked amazing, and seemed truly happy with this whole experience, which was nice to see.

Ken and I then opted to use the gift card presented to me from Bobby’s team. It was $25 from Chili’s so we went for an early lunch, which was very nice. Nothing better than a lovely meal with my husband sans kids.

We are pretty much ready to leave today. With the boss out, it clears the way for me to leave here early. I think I will bail by 9:30 or so. We will pick up the kids early and head out. This way we get up to the Compound before it is midnight. Heck, if we can leave by noon, we can probably get there by 8 pm, which is a good time!

With that in mind, I should work on some of the papers on my desk so that when I return Monday, I can begin Christmas decorating. Woo hoo!

No comments: